Our veteran quandary

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:I think its time to start managing a few players out, in terms of giving younger players like Allen and McInnes a start...the oldies should be played sporadically, and may well have something to offer come September.
But isn’t that going to multiply the “Noble” situation by dropping younger players who play good football to avoid being relegated and being replaced by managed players who played only sporadically? I’m not sure how that works.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I would say, that at seasons end, regardless of where we finish, it will be farewell to some great servants of our Club , I can see Howe, Cox, Checkers retiring, maybe even Pendles, who is the type of guy who wont struggle on just to get too 400, he has too much dignity for that, been a magnificent player, certainly a top 3 all time Magpie champion in my book. Yes, we do need to start blooding kids soon, give some older players managed, a break now.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

It's the middle of March - you don't want your established stars going at more than half rat-power, at this stage. The ones I worry about are the younger players who are supposed to be "pushing up" - where the f%^& are they when they are required?
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Fin has pretty much kicked the door down with his performances in the VFL, the same can't be said for many of the others.
Checkers needs help up forward, his body takes a battering each week. We have to play Reef.
Cox, Pendles and Sidey can easy play another 2-3 seasons if required but Howe has to be just 1 more injury from retiring.

As the season goes on we will need to manage some of the older players by resting them which creates opportunity for the younger guys. Either the young ones play well enough to keep the old guys out, like in 2010, or they don't which means they can't argue when they go back to the VFL, but if we have guys in the VFL demanding inclusion through form, we have to reward that.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

The MacCrae decision as sub seemed bizarre given we dropped Mitchell and had Hill, McCreery, Elliott and Schultz in the 22. I felt Elliott should have been sub. MacCrae must start playing full games over the next few weeks so he can start establishing himself as an inside mid.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^Bring in Reef for Ash next week, start Fin, and make Elliot the sub in case Reef doesn't touch it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Pies4shaw wrote:It's the middle of March - you don't want your established stars going at more than half rat-power, at this stage. The ones I worry about are the younger players who are supposed to be "pushing up" - where the f%^& are they when they are required?
Doesn’t make sense to go half rat power and lose when the experienced players are the ones who should be responsible for teaching the youngsters how to win games. The young players also don’t have a magic portion to drink and immediately become major stars. It all takes time as we all know.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I dont know what some of the posters in this thread are on but I want some of it now!

Both Pendles and Sidebottom are just about cooked. Pendles last year was getting caught with the ball a lot and judging on two games, that is only worse again. Sidebottom, old champ that he is, got a fair amount of the ball but coughed it up in contests, gave away frees at important times and did little with the possessions he did get. He looked slow and off the pace all game. Neither should be going on at the end of this season, let alone two or three more. However both may improve when the grounds get softer but at the moment both are way off it. Maybe manage them now and restart them in May.

Jamie Elliot looked cooked last finals series and apart from standing up with considerable pride at the end of last night's game, has done little. Like Mihocek he needs another younger tall forward down there crashing packs and drawing attention from Elliot who is at best the third marking forward option these days. Also his kicking has dropped off and he barely makes 40 metres with his goal shooting now.

Crisp seems strangely out of sorts and couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. Having him playing off half back didn't seem the best way to use his talents I thought.

We need a plan to phase the two old champs out gracefully but should accept that both of them are just about done.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

The Veteran Quandary.....

Three games ago, the veterans produced in spades.
However, as the old saying goes "Time and tide wait for no man.."
I would bring in Ed Allan and play him on the wing.
Sidebottom forward where he could use his footy smarts to be a creator (and kicker) of goals.
Certainly Reef McInnes comes in for Johnson.
If the club were really brave, they could play Oscar Steene and rest Cox.
Steene would make a very big, mobile marking forward option for the next few weeks. McStay is sorely missed.
The Murphy concussion stuff has dislocated the cohesion of the back half.
Ironically, with all this talk of veterans, Taylor Adams would have been useful these past two games. I cannot believe that he would not have laid the crunching tackles to inspire the team.
At year's end, we may be farewelling Howe, Cox and Sidebottom- however, if we are to be there when the whips are cracking, perhaps their experience is still required on the field.
There will be a fair bit of heat applied to the list managers if Ginnivan continues to shine at Hawthorn- I still agree with the call by the way.
Schultz will be a very good asset.
2024 may well be a year where we see the emergence of Allan, Steene, McInnes, Macrae, Harrison, Jath and De Mattea. They may come in and be the fresh blood we need to reach the summit in the years to come.

Forest Pics
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

lazzadesilva wrote:
Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:I think its time to start managing a few players out, in terms of giving younger players like Allen and McInnes a start...the oldies should be played sporadically, and may well have something to offer come September.
But isn’t that going to multiply the “Noble” situation by dropping younger players who play good football to avoid being relegated and being replaced by managed players who played only sporadically? I’m not sure how that works.
Well, the 'Noble situation' ended with a flag...no one is gifted a spot if there is a better replacement
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

stui magpie wrote:^

Bring in Reef for Ash next week, start Fin, and make Elliot the sub in case Reef doesn't touch it.
I think playing Elliott as sub is a good idea; his class and nous means he can play almost anywhere but back, and when the sting goes out of thew game he can have a bigger impact.
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Look at it this way. Charlie Dean in his first couple of games has shown us to be a nervous player who has the skills but is being outmuscled by his opponents. Now project into his future after he has played another 30-50 games. Hopefully we have a key tall forward with the potential to play for the next 5 years. Now do the same for Elliot, Howe and Pendlebury, comparing them now to what they were last year and the year before. Pendlebury and Elliot used to be elusive and it was rare that a tackle ever held and it was rare that a ball that ever left their foot didn't reach a team mate or went for a goal. It's different now. They will still run up the stat sheet and kick the occasional goal, but is that what we want? Do we want to nurse Pendlebury to his 400th game or do we want to win another premiership? It's basically time to make decisions on some of our veteran's futures if we're going to get games into the players who are going to form the future premiership team. Otherwise the team just staggers along and beats the lower down teams, but I can't imagine we're going to win against GWS again this year. Geelong has the same problem as us, but whereas they drip feed their younger players into the team, we can't even play a player like Macrae who's been knocking down the door in the preseason.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Gerry Cooper wrote:I dont know what some of the posters in this thread are on but I want some of it now!

Both Pendles and Sidebottom are just about cooked. Pendles last year was getting caught with the ball a lot and judging on two games, that is only worse again. Sidebottom, old champ that he is, got a fair amount of the ball but coughed it up in contests, gave away frees at important times and did little with the possessions he did get. He looked slow and off the pace all game. Neither should be going on at the end of this season, let alone two or three more. However both may improve when the grounds get softer but at the moment both are way off it. Maybe manage them now and restart them in May.

Jamie Elliot looked cooked last finals series and apart from standing up with considerable pride at the end of last night's game, has done little. Like Mihocek he needs another younger tall forward down there crashing packs and drawing attention from Elliot who is at best the third marking forward option these days. Also his kicking has dropped off and he barely makes 40 metres with his goal shooting now.

Crisp seems strangely out of sorts and couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. Having him playing off half back didn't seem the best way to use his talents I thought.

We need a plan to phase the two old champs out gracefully but should accept that both of them are just about done.
I'm kind of relieved to read this, because I saw the exact same thing with Pendlebury last year and wasn't sure if I was insane or just had no idea what I was talking about, given all the talk about him being able to play on for another 3 to 4 years. But it's just seemed obvious to me in both games so far this season that he was struggling to impact.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It’s not just our over 30s who looked way off the pace. Apart from Nick Daicos, no one can looked on. There were many moments Sidey had the ball but was surrounded by opposition and no ting bucks seen anywhere near him.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Before we are too reactive.. Brisbane looks like it's going to lose its 2nd game too. Something to ponder.

Ageing players not listed here are contracted beyond 2024.
36 Scott Pendlebury
33 Jeremy Howe
33 Steele Sidebottom
30 Will Hoskin-Elliott

I expect Pendles retires. Howe and Sidey are still contributing.. I think Howe will retire, Sidey still will be here in 2025 IMO.
I think WHE will be signing and he will be satisfied being on the fringe of selection.

Retirees
36 Scott Pendlebury
33 Jeremy Howe

Signing on for 2025
33 Steele Sidebottom
30 Will Hoskin-Elliott

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/to- ... od-magpies