Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

pietillidie wrote:As an actual Brit, let me break to you: locals love Australia but are nauseated by clingy Australians.
Can't say I blame them. It's beyond cringeworthy.
kill for collingwood!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

i bet they disapprove of people who are not actually British born passing themselves off as British too! Thats a global thing. Clingy Aussie! what exactly does that look like? i cant think of anyone that describes!

judging by the crowds at the Palace and elsewhere, i doubt the Royals are finished, yes of course you get the squeaky wheels chiming off, whats new about that? they dont take action just bitch. people who seem to buck systems for the sake of it, but still take advantage of them.

As for the Republic, take a vote, whatever, it wont change whats in the hearts of people who believe in, or love, the Monachy.

I'm not a fan of his but i liked Kind Charle's speach.

The Queen is Dead, long Live the King.

cheers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
KenH

Post by KenH »

I wish the King a long and happy life, but he shouldn't be our King.

It is now time to move on and become a republic.
Cheers big ears
KenH

Post by KenH »

Not sure why the Browmlow needs to be moved, surely we can choose between a funeral and watching the Brownlow there are plenty of stations to watch them on.
Cheers big ears
think positive

Post by think positive »

i agree,

i probably wont watch either.

and im also happy for the vote to happen.

my last comment in what i had hoped would be a tribute thread:

RIP your Majesty.
you bloody well deserve it xx
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

think positive wrote:i bet they disapprove of people who are not actually British born passing themselves off as British too!
What century do you live in? That's considered highly offensive here considering so many immigrants from across the Commonwealth and beyond, from the West Indies to Pakistan, Nigeria to New Zealand, consider themselves British.

In fact, and apparently you are oblivious to this, Brits mock Americans mercilessly for claiming to be Irish or Italian. "We're just British here".

Given the history of England, Great Britain the Commonwealth and the United Kingdom, that's a whole new level of clueless you're revealing.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Nationality is a personal concept it seems.

Pulling some demographic data at work recently, it struck me that the field "Nationality" is basically useless.

Running through the names, we had people who only recently became citizens identifying as Australian, other's who'd been here for years identifying with their country of birth and others born here identifying with their cultural background.

Personally I just identify as Australian. My Grandfathers Grandfather was born in Essex sent her in the mid 1800's as a convict. My DNA is majority Irish and Scots, very little English which is fine with me.

I get your points but there's no need to be a smartarse about it. TP was born in England and came here as a child, not by her choice, so her self identifying as a Pom still despite being an Australian citizen is her choice.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^I'm not the one trying to police Britishness here.

Obviously, it's a non-issue and non-controversial as far as I'm concerned. It's just bizarre having people tell me who I am, or people without a depth of international experience pontificating on the matter.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

Anyhow, time to ready for the football. And given the Spurs game was postponed, that means Collingwood, should anyone be confused ;)
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

fairy nuff, Go Pies and God save the King.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Bruce Gonsalves
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Bruce Gonsalves »

My 93 year old Mum is a pom. Evacuated from her home in Bristol as a young teen, abused by her sponsor in Devon. Her 96 year sister was a Wren and receives a great pension over here because of that, good on her.

My Dad was a Belfast man, true Ulster man, lunatic Catholic. His brother and Brother in Law were in the IRA. Mostly into smuggling, was probably exciting until they were caught. Relocated to Scotland and then emigrated.

My allegiances lie with the Irish and to have a King that would like to be re-incarnated as a tampon and is a philanderer... I say no more.
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

^^ Apparently there were huge celebrations in the streets of Derry, and at a soccer match in Dublin the crowd started singing "Lizzie's in a box" to the tune of "Give it up" by KC and the Sunshine band. Liverpool FC had to close their website due to the malicious comments by it's supporters.

I'm not saying the above reactions are classy or correct but it does show that the monarch has a dark side that has caused much suffering to many so it is no surprise that not everybody is mourning her passing.
kill for collingwood!
think positive

Post by think positive »

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

eddiesmith wrote:
Jezza wrote:
eddiesmith wrote: Will we get a public holiday for the National Day of Mourning?
From what I've read, it's likely we will.
Thank you, then Thursday 22nd would be perfect
I should run the country!!!

Thursday the 22nd it is for a long weekend for Victorians.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

I’m a monarchist on the Queens birthday, funeral and now the kings birthday. Viva la Republic and Royalty on select days during the year. Double pay for the day; what’s not to like.

New Personal Prounoun is not he/him, she/her or they but is now gunna by HRH
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman