The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Presti35
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Is Paul Seedsman still yet to re-sign with Adelaide? Is he someone we can look at in the PSD?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

jatsad wrote: We do have a future 3rd. Throw in Thomas, done deal.
I'd rather keep the future 3rd and Thomas than add Hill.

As things currently stand though, I think Thomas will actually be delisted for Daicos points, so trading him isn't the issue, it's that you then also need to delist an additional player to offset the addition of Hill. If you don't and the net result is we reduce the number of live ND picks then the additional cost of adding Hill becomes the impact on our 2022 picks through deficits.
Last edited by jackcass on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

jackcass wrote:
inxs88 wrote:If the cost of things in life was the sole criteria for inhibiting progress, there would be no Westgate Bridge, NDIS, freeway systems or VFL Park (okay, strike that one).
What nonsensical crap you sprout.
Hey inxs dude, Jackcass works in this field so it is his area of expertise. Walking on dangerous ground
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

jackcass wrote:
jatsad wrote: We do have a future 3rd. Throw in Thomas, done deal.
I'd rather keep the future 3rd and Thomas than add Hill.

As things currently stand though, I think Thomas will actually be delisted for Daicos points, so trading him isn't the issue, it's that you then also need to delist an additional player to offset the addition of Hill. If you don't and the net result is we only have 3 live ND picks then the additional cost of adding Hill becomes the impact on our 2022 picks through deficits.
I see your point but we are talking a young player with, yes, potential, against a player who is on his last legs at the pies. GWS may see the need in replacing Hill with something so why not someone with experience. I know it's fanciful but stranger things have happened.
There are lots of ways to get players off the primary list to make way for picks such as rookie list etc.
Jatsad - That is all
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Not so much about the age profile of Hill v Thomas for mine. More the list management aspects insomuch as we can delist Thomas and activate the ND pick points of the senior list vacancy, use the points to match a bid for Daicos, re-draft Thomas via the RD.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

jackcass wrote:Not so much about the age profile of Hill v Thomas for mine. More the list management aspects insomuch as we can delist Thomas and activate the ND pick points of the senior list vacancy, use the points to match a bid for Daicos, re-draft Thomas via the RD.
The issue to me is Hill is a crumbing forward. Thomas isn't. While I thought Thomas performed ok during the season I don't think he meets what we need under Craig McRae. Maybe I'm wrong and McRae can find a role for him but I don't see it. I don't see roles either for Sier, Rantall and Cox. Again I'm happy to be proven wrong. I think Hill would be a great get for us. Unfortunately I don't see how with the few draft picks we have.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Hill is electric - watch his highlights package.
He would be unique on our list - similar to Charlie Cameron at Lions.

If it means we would lose one or two of Rantall, Thomas, Cox, Sier then I am ok with that. These guys are not the future.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Not sure what sier Thomas rantall etc have to do with trading for Hill. None of them have any currency on the trade table

Hill is 21 and has done his apprenticeship and has proven skill.
He should be about to blossom as a footballer.
He is worth a 2nd and 3rd rounder.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

We're already losing 1 or 2 of Rantall, Thomas, Cox and Sier. Likely all 4. And that's just to activate sufficient draft points to at least minimise our 2022 deficit when we match a bid on Daicos. Add Hill and we still lose them, we just have a greater impact on our 2022 picks.

He's just not worth the cost. Especially if you look at what McCreery and Ginnivan offered this year on debut.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 1=S&fid2=S

And we'll likely also add Dib this year.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Hill would be a sensational pick up, but I guess he's a long shot. Seems he is very keen on the Bumbers, but hopefully we can convince him he'd have a great environment at the Pies. Sounds like GWS are rather pissed off at Essendon, believing they have tried to poach Hill, so maybe we are in with a chance. Here's hoping anyway.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:Not sure what sier Thomas rantall etc have to do with trading for Hill. None of them have any currency on the trade table

There is no way on God's earth that Hill is worth a 2nd AND a 3rd rounder.
Has played 30 games and showed only flashes. The ability might be there, but nothing to suggest that cost.
Jatsad - That is all
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:Not sure what sier Thomas rantall etc have to do with trading for Hill. None of them have any currency on the trade table

Have to delist players to activate draft pick points. No senior list vacancy = zero points for a notional ND pick.

At the moment, we notionally have picks 27, 36, 46, 48, 55, 58, 78, 79. Not 1 of them is activated with an aligned senior list vacancy. Can't currently use any of them. Lose Lynch, activate pick 27. Then lose Thomas, activate pick 36, then lose Sier, activate pick 46..... Add Hill, deactivate 1 pick.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Would easily take Ginnivan ahead of Hill. Ginnivan is still 18 and already averages more goals a game than Hill. We do need pace but I would prefer it up the ground, just as I prefer goal kickers in the forward line.
Let’s just take a breath and save our pennies for the PSD where trades aren’t required. After delistings and the draft, the club will have a better understanding of whatever holes still need to be filled.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Cox, Thomas, Lynch, Rantall, Sier all may come off the list- meaning we can 'cash-in' five draft picks for Nick Daicos...

I think that Lynch will gain us a future third-rounder (anywhere between 37 and 54 depending on where the hawks finish in 2022)

That's one list spot gone.

I think Cox will be retained (on minimum chips as it were)

Thomas, Rantall and Sier appear to not be getting much love from the Pies- of the three, I'd keep Rantall- he's 186cms and 83kgs and an endurance beast. I think the other two have had their chance at the level...

I would re-rookie Rantall so, effectively, we will have delisted Thomas, Sier, Lynch and Rantall (we can use the points from our first four picks if needed).

Clearly, if Daicos were to go at pick 3 or 4 or 5, our pick 27 could be traded for something (a future second???).

Much water to go under the bridge, it would seem...

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 74 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Given his sorry injury record, we'll probably only have 3 more good years from Elliott, so securing a speedy crumbing forward at only 21 yrs now, makes good sense, as we build our next Premiership team.