Defending Dane Swan - Part 2

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MOTR

Post by MOTR »

After today's game I'm an unabashed Swan fan. He is going to make it hard for Cole to force his way back into the team.
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
zpxf11

Post by zpxf11 »

Swan over Cole for me easily!!
Excellent.........
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

23 touches - it must be said, I am a fan. Was brillaint today, and showed great pace from where I was in Southern Stand.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I'm wrapped with Swanny's maturation and had all but written him off like most of us. Considering Burnsy and Licca are no spring chickens, we need another tough nut to come through. Toughness is still the foundation of most premiership sides.

Swanny is also a timely reminder of the fact that not all players develop in the same way. If any of you remember what Rowdy looked like in his first couple of years after being promoted from the under-18's you'll know what I mean. I can also vividly remember watching a Collingwood vs. Carlton game one year and rejoicing in the fact that Brett Ratten was the most ordinary dud I'd seen in my life. I'm of the opinion now that tough nuts take longer to develop than other types of players not only for obvious physical reasons, but also because they need to learn how to position their bodies and they have to develop more smarts than naturally-gifted players.
melissa

Post by melissa »

Damn straight. And i'd take Swan over Cole these days too. Dane knows how to lay a tackle, whereas Cole seems to have forgotten what a tackle is.
Congrats Bucks, on a great return! Bring on the Crows!
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Agree. Swan over Cole at the moment. Swanny is in terrific form.
skaman
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by skaman »

Agreed, tough for the catfish to get back now!
Enjoy yourself. Its later than you think!
jimbeam

Post by jimbeam »

he is a worker, honest player, slow on the foot, abit like mcgough, but oozes patience, strong tackle, nice ground work and can find the footy.. I think he played a great game against the hawks.. He can find space and its almost distracting, deceptive the way he moves and swings it on the boot.. i like him, burnsy like...
Joel

Post by Joel »

Was good yesterday, he made a few mistakes, but he was good. Atm, his form is better than Cole's so he does deserve his spot. I still haven't made my mind up about Swan though.
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Surely after three soild weeks of AFL footy (including an outstanding match yesterday) as well as a month of good VFL form has won you over, Joel? :P

A great dilemma to have - Cole or Swanny? These are the problems you want.
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

Cole has gone backwards this season, leave him down at Williasmtown and play Swan. Unless Swan gets injured, I cannot see Cole getting back in the side unless he improves dramatically.
Heater_39

Post by Heater_39 »

Swanny had the all important job of minding Sam Mitchell in the last quarter, and although Mitchell got 8 touches in it, Swan clearly defeated Mitchell as Swan set up a couple of goals.

I can't agree with all the bagging of Cole though.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

i was very critical of Swan earlier this year over the security guard incident, but if he can play like that every week he can bash as many security guards as he likes!
The Prototype

Post by The Prototype »

I'd like to hear that he has cut that out.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Swan played his best game ever, still lazy in some situations though. He obviously has been told to improve and has taking his opportunity with both hands.