Unoffical Cheer Squad And Offical Cheer Squad

A forum for the use of Collingwood's Cheer Squad - and for anyone else who would like to comment on or contact the Cheer Squad.

Moderator: bbmods

Dillo

Post by Dillo »

Well it has been an interesting read on this rainy saturday afternoon. Listening to everybody give their opinions and bag each other!!
I just want to pass on some information to all of you that may enlighten you as to why there is three core groups of supporters who all call themselves Cheer Squads.
Firstly a little of my history so that you all know its not shit that I am talking
1. Collingwood Official Cheer Squad member since 1985.
2. Committee member 89, Secretary 90, President 91, Secretary till April 92.
3. Social club member 8 years.

Firstly I would like to say that the main reason why there was a divide between the cheer squads is ALCOHOL.
During 1989/1990 the cheer squad made the responsible decision to ban the consumption of alcohol in its immediate vicinity on match days. Prior to this as well the levels of drinking within the cheer squad was deliberatly reduced. The main reason for the cheer squad making this policy was to change the public's perception of not only ourselves but of all cheer squads. We wanted to create a family atmosphere where mum and dad were happy to let their young children sit with us knowing that they would be safe and looked after. These kids were the future of the cheer squad and we wanted to encourage them to come along and get involved.
Another area that we decided to focus on at the same time was the run through at each game. The consistent construction of magnificent run throughs week in, week out, over the 88-91 period were unrivalled in their time (and i dare say since).
All of these decisions seemed to upset a number of people as we asked them to abide by our "Dry Area" rules. Of course they were fully within their rights to do this. I am not saying every one involved is a drunk at the football but some people just want to drink themselves into a stupor, which did not encourage new memberships from children and their parents.

I agree that the current Official Cheer Squad is lacking in some areas and may have been guilty of bad management in recent times. Also the club has increased their involvement with the cheer squad in recent times and have restricted the way they operate as a business unit of the Collingwood FC, which has affected them.

If I had the time in my life I would be back there putting in the long hours behind the scenes to improve the way they do things. Unfortunatly I cant. I think a lot of people really dont know the amount of time and effort that goes into running the cheer squad. I remember in the years that I was Secretary and president I was working a 45 hour week and spending another 40+ hours each week doing things for the club and the cheer squad. Every night after work I was at the club and the free day on the weekend I could also usually be found doing something that related to the cheer squad or football club. Those of you who bag those who are running the cheer squad, ask yourself one question - "How much time do I devote to working, voluntarily, for my club?"

So as a few of you have suggested, all three groups should get together and create a force that all other clubs are envious of. Great Idea, but ultimatly it is a pipe dream as all three groups have different idea's on how a day at the football should be enjoyed.

Therefore what I suggest is that all three continue to do what they do best but also that they support each others efforts to encourage our boys when they are playing, without getting into petty primary school arguments about the merits of the others.

But, in doing this there is one thing that all people involved in all three groups MUST recognise - that, as members of the Collingwood Football Club, their actions, whatever they may be, reflect back on the club. Be those actions good or bad they reflect!! So I ask you all as fellow Collingwood supporters to unite, forget petty jealousy's or hatred and do your football club proud in the way that you conduct yourselves as a Collingwood suppoter.

Go Pies!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Dillo (edited 20 May 2000).]
Joel

Post by Joel »

Good points Dillo!
Magpie Gal 19

Post by Magpie Gal 19 »

Hey Does anyone else find it hard to hear the "Official Cheer Squads" Chants through out the game? All they seem to do is wisper and not yell. I am part of the Unofficial Cheer Squad and even when we are sitting next to them at the MCG you can bearley hear them chant.

Even two girls can make more noise than them.

NICK DAVIS KICKS ASS!!!!!! #19 till I die!