Good Books read!

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

^ I have heard many a good thing about those books, but lots of people have also struggled with them.
kill for collingwood!
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

David wrote:I'm part way through the second book in Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle series. For what is essentially autobiography (a six-part autobiography, no less!), it's absolutely engrossing and brilliantly written.
I saw "My Struggle" and thought you were delving into Hitler's work. :lol:
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

John Wren wrote:^ that was a brilliant book that did not translate well into film.

i am reading "the phoenix rises" which charts the revival of the vfl and its transformation to the afl.
You should speak with Dr Pie: in short that was (sort of) the subject matter of his PhD.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
blackmissionary

Post by blackmissionary »

A lot of the stuff I've enjoyed in 2016 has had a strong religious theme, and usually fiercely intelligent even in their blasphemous moments.

If you really love blasphemy (in this case against the Christian and Jewish faiths) than Nick Tosches' 'Under Tiberius', a re-imagining of the life of Jesus as a hoax concocted by a Jewish loiterer and a former speech writer for the emperor Tiberius, will be right up your alley. The miracles and disciples are a laugh, but its Tosches' attention to detail that really wins you over.

Michel Houellebeqc's novel 'Submission' - on what happens when a 'moderate' Muslim party wins the 2022 French presidential election - is either razor sharp satire on the state of the French left and its academic wings, or a grim warning for the future of Europe. I took it as satire, but plenty to chew on if you like your fiction provocative.

Chuck Palahniuk's 'Pygmy', on how a high school exchange student to the US from a nation run by a totalitarian regime compares his home country's brutal education system to the ruthlessness of the American one, is an absolute pisser. Told purely via the propaganda lens of the title character (the not quite broken English is key to the effect), this is warped stuff.

Michael Faber's 'The Book of Strange New Things' is set in the not too distant future, where as society starts falling apart on Earth, a corporation's colonisation of an alien world leads to them hiring a Christian (Protestant) pastor to act as a go-between between humans and the indigenous aliens. The pastor finds a chance to minister to a new flock, but this slow, meditative, thoughtful novel has a lot of surprises up its sleeve.
David

Post by David »

^ sounds like some interesting titles, blackmissionary (the Houellebecq novel was the one I was referring to in the other thread, by the way).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

I'm not sure about a great read but a pretty good read (If you're into crime fiction - which I am) is "Close Your Eyes" by Michael Rowbotham (2015) which I'm reading now.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

aye yi yi yi!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

think positive

Post by think positive »

i have no idea who this guy is or about his books, but the Hitler stuff is interesting. a morbid curiosity i guess. i just cannot understand how he got so many to do his bidding, the murder, the torture, the unspeakable, ridiculous ...i cant even put it into words with out using "evil" which i know you dont believe exists.

didnt go to any camps while we were in Germany, we were on the other side of the country, although there is a monument for the very first death camp near Stuttgart, but we didnt visit.

At the Mercedes museum they have a history wall down the walkways, and there is a photo that declared D day and the end of Hitler.

i wonder how many other profile traits of a serial killer could be found in his background apart from the hated father?
David

Post by David »

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I had all the Enid Blyton books, read the magic faraway tree to my kids. Good stories.

Great bump.

I strongly recommend anything by Matthew Reilly for people who like action movies.

I recently bought 2 quite different books.

Dark Emu and A Brief History of Time. Looking forward to the opportunity to read them.

Also, for the young bloke, get a copy of "The animals Noah forgot" and read it to him.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Magic faraway tree is brilliant, try swallows and amazons too David! I loved encyclopaedia Brown too!