Should we eradicate cats in Australia?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Should cats be eradicated from Australia?

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 23

Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Mugwump

Post by Mugwump »

Two more flags before I die!
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

Stray dogs are more a problem where I am. The cats tend to either be kept in cages here like rabbits or don't go too far from home. Tukky the wonder poodle decides which cats to growl at. Most of the birds here are Indian mynas and I would not care if they were wiped out. The Thais leave food out for the stray mutts who are rarely sterilised and it brings rats and cockroaches, The rats are nearly as big as the cats.

My 30 year old neice who is on 100K a year for being a PA to some Queensland Rail hotshot and has 2 kids and a Husband who is a an engineer. She asked me last year if they cats in Thailand. "Besides tigers, they have Siamese cats. She then asked me if they imported the tigers from Africa and the cats from Siam". I just walked away shaking her head. I am convinced Facebook and playschool are her only learning tools.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

K wrote:
think positive wrote:... They eat the occasional bird? Ah well the rules of the jungle. ...
If the rules of the jungle apply, then everyone should be happy if a dog kills a cat. And I don't think the cats actually eat the birds. They just kill for the pleasure of killing. Do they eat the mice they catch?

Oh, and it's not occasional, either... Apparently it's literally hundreds of thousands of birds per year in the US.
Not what I meant. I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

think positive wrote:...
I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.
I see. What is a "cat run"? It's possible to restrict them to inside the house, but is it possible to keep them in the backyard when they have climbing skills?

Are there currently any laws protecting the birds from cats?? As far as I'm aware, no cat owner or cat has ever been held responsible for roaming in public and killing birds.
ronrat

Post by ronrat »

My Mum has a cat run for very expensive cat. It can be moved around. A cross between a tent and a fernhouse. Lightweight and you just move it around the yard and throw a scratching pole, a toy and some food and water in and let it go.

As said a well fed cat kills for sport.
Annoying opposition supporters since 1967.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Should we eradicate would-be cat-eradicators?
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

We used to trap them and kill them when I worked at Argyle, the site I work at now and the one prior, the enviros have the pleasure.

We rigged up this big esky to a CO2 bottle and used that.

I tell you what, some of these beasts are massive!

My old mate dirty, he had a fishing rod with a big hook and used to catch 'em at the tip that way. A baseball bat was his weapon of choice.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

K wrote:
think positive wrote:...
I mean if the cats in the backyard run where it should be, and get the occasional bird. As I also said, as with dogs, the laws need enforcing. Cats should not be allowed to roam.
I see. What is a "cat run"? It's possible to restrict them to inside the house, but is it possible to keep them in the backyard when they have climbing skills?

Are there currently any laws protecting the birds from cats?? As far as I'm aware, no cat owner or cat has ever been held responsible for roaming in public and killing birds.
And who holds the birds responsible for the creatures they kill? Do you think birds eat grass? :roll:
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Skids wrote:We used to trap them and kill them when I worked at Argyle, the site I work at now and the one prior, the enviros have the pleasure.

We rigged up this big esky to a CO2 bottle and used that.

I tell you what, some of these beasts are massive!

My old mate dirty, he had a fishing rod with a big hook and used to catch 'em at the tip that way. A baseball bat was his weapon of choice.
Charming. What a beautiful little story.
Wouldn't expect anything less.
luvdids

Post by luvdids »

Pies4shaw wrote:Should we eradicate would-be cat-eradicators?
Oh please yes. Can we start a poll??
think positive

Post by think positive »