Vale #16,#9 Colin Tully (1945-2020)

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

RudeBoy wrote:Bazboy is correct. Tully was probably the best exponent of the drop kick in the VFL. He would regularly kick the ball 60 metres out from full back.

70 yards mate :wink:

...and I wouldn't be attributing the 1970 loss to Colin Tully. Des Tuddenham lined up a Carlton player before half time and as you know, only succeeded in KO'ing Peter McKenna who kicked a bagful by then; therein the GF was lost. That sort of historical revisionism causes wars mate :wink:
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
lihei
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by lihei »

Vale Colin Tully. Sad that another boyhood hero has passed on. Another from that heartbreak Bob Rose era that deserved better. ⚫️⚪️⚫️⚪️
Cancel the Cancel Culture.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Bazboy is correct. Tully was probably the best exponent of the drop kick in the VFL. He would regularly kick the ball 60 metres out from full back.

...and I wouldn't be attributing the 1970 loss to Colin Tully. Des Tuddenham lined up a Carlton player before half time and as you know, only succeeded in KO'ing Peter McKenna who kicked a bagful by then; therein the GF was lost. That sort of historical revisionism causes wars mate :wink:
I agree with all of that....including the 70 yards bit! I was merely recalling my memory of being at the 1970 GF and sitting only 20 metres or so from Tully, who was clearly wanting to be moved off Hopkins. However, as you say, the collision between Tuddy and McKenna is what ultimately cost us that Premiership. :cry:
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Lazza wrote:Yes, as a Bendigo resident I can sadly confirm that Colin passed away. He was a popular taxi driver here for years and would occasionally attend the Bendigo Collingwood supporters club meetings. A truly decent man. RIP Colin.

That is sad, i recall him well, could kick the ball a country mile, i remember as a lad, one game at the G, v the Tigers, he booted a goal from the centre circle, it bounced a bit, but was one long, long goal. He wore No. 9, nuggety type of guy, played in 1970 GF, i thiink that was his last game. Good player, ruck rover i think. Vale Colin . :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
BazBoy
Been liked: 28 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

As I said no acknowledgment from club nor black arm bands
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

As I said no acknowledgment from club nor black arm bands
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

watt price tully wrote:

Yep
Peter mckenna didn't remember the second half.
Our bloody luck
Harrysz
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Harrysz »

That drop kick goal by Colin Tully was in 1966 at the MCG against Richmond.
It was replayed the next day on "World of Sport" with Jack Dyer lamenting.
I wonder if it's on tape anywhere.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

The Brownlow Medal coverage by the AFL this evening acknowledged Colin's passing.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

Oh I am so pleased but mystified the club did not on its website

Nor the ensuring game after his passing no black arm bands

Is it just me. Surely not
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 145 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers