Coronavirus 5 - Last Blood

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

So, they estimated 2.2 million deaths in the US "In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour" and you think that somehow means they were "off"?

Where do you source the alt-Nazi US propaganda? I can't imagine you write it yourself.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw wrote:So, they estimated 2.2 million deaths in the US "In the (unlikely) absence of any control measures or spontaneous changes in individual behaviour" and you think that somehow means they were "off"?

Where do you source the alt-Nazi US propaganda? I can't imagine you write it yourself.
I don't think anyone was 'off'. David tried to be clever saying Trump was 'off' with the benefit of hindsight. Context and timing is everything.

Remember this little beauty: "We're not going to see, you know, 300s and 400s again in Victoria, not under my watch at least". It was reasonable at the time.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Just a little update on how Australia is dealing with Omicron.

The rolling averages of weekly deaths since the start of January (listed newest to oldest) are listed below. I have highlighted in bold the running 7-day totals that are at least twice as high as the highest running 7-day total recorded at any time in 2021. For comparison, that was 107, reached just once - on 23 October 2021.

The figures show that Australia has - every day for more than 5 weeks (38 days and counting), now, recorded a rolling number of weekly deaths that is at least twice as high as anything Australia recorded in any week during 2021.

332 (part progressive 7-day total of deaths for the 7-day period ending on 19v February 2022, as at the time of this post on 19 February 2022)

65 (1 January - 7 day-total of deaths for the 7-day period ending on this day)
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Pies4shaw wrote:
The point to take away, really, is that the expression "person with a serious underlying pre-existing medical condition" tends to makes us think of some tiny fraction of the community that we've mostly never met and that are on their last legs, anyway, whereas, in fact, it includes just about every second one of us.
100% this. Dont get the vaccine or wear a mask for yourself, do it for the people you love who are at risk. My hubby, one of my sisters, a brother in law and 2 sister inlaws are at risk. None are on their last legs, none of them are 70 yet, all would be sadly mourned by people who definitely will not see it as well their time was nearly up anyway.

It’s easy when it’s not someone you know. I always think of that road death add when they ask how many deaths are acceptable, they say a number and then their family members come towards them. “Oh god no, none, none are acceptable.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

And bloody hell that death table....scary
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Just remember, TP: "Delta bad, Omicron good". The pandemic finished last October - the virus just hasn't read the memo.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Australian Governments keep opening up further, restrictions are reducing, hospitalisations continue to decline which means deaths will follow in declining.

The vast majority of people are getting on with their lives after 2 years of restrictions and lockdowns which ruined more lives than the virus has.

Yes people have died and will continue to. Yes it's tragic for their family, yes for the rest of us they're anonymous statistics.

maybe no deaths are "acceptable" but what is the legitimate alternative? Remain in lockdown and hope the virus goes away? Clearly the Governments consider the number of deaths to be not unacceptable as they're less than predicted and the benefit has been that vast numbers of people now have the combined immunity from vaccination and recovering from Covid which will help minimse deaths when the next wave hits in winter.

We're lucky that we had the perfect mix of variables happening. Omicron being more infectious but far less deadly, hitting here in summer when the population is also at peak vaccination. I doubt that the dead people's families would agree that we're lucky, but overall we are.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

The thing that's actually disturbing is that you so plainly have never thought that the number of people dying in Australia from the "harmless virus" is disturbing.

Remember Pollyanna posting this in December 2021:
What'sinaname wrote:Thankfully scientists / epidemiologists have had their time in the sun and rational people are now making decisions.

All the latest news says Omicron symptoms are mild and hospitalisations are people with muscle ache and fever being teated with cortisone and ibuprofen not treated with oxygen.
Ibuprofen sure looks to have done some damage, since, if it wasn't COVID.

Remember this one, from 1 January 2022:
What'sinaname wrote:ICU patients have halved in the last week. While the doom and gloomers will try to tell you the end of the world is nigh, it's not.
When you posted that, there had been 2,253 COVID deaths in Australia through the whole of the pandemic. Since then, there have been well over a further 2,500. Moreover, despite all of those deaths, the number of people in ICU is over 40% higher today than when you posted that.

The funny thing is that you never, ever come back in to say - "Oh, by the way, the rubbish I posted on [insert date] has turned out to be misleading drivel (again)". So, sadly, I have to take time mentioning the actual figures.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

With Nurses having Enough and Demanding more Nurses and Support from the Goverment.

IF they Don't could they go on Strike which might set off a Lockdown as be no one to look after the Sick?
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote:And bloody hell that death table....scary
But if you look at it, the numbers are definitely following hospitalisations. They're going down. from over 600 at the peak to low 300's.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.