The Chronicles of Lidia

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Skids wrote:“It’s sad people are utilising whatever they can to drag me down when we’re trying to discuss important issues in this country,” she said.

Delusional much?

“We’re sick of asking the Government, we’re sick of standing like poor people saying, ‘Can you give us some money? Can you help us?’ We’re sick of it.”

Sick of it? My word.... and we the taxpayers, pay this lunatic 100's of 1000's a year. Wow.
To be fair, it seems pretty clear in the second quote that she's talking about Indigenous people more broadly, not herself.

It's also true that the focus on her and her behaviour, rather than the issues at stake around the referendum, is a distraction. Unfortunately, she has to take responsibility for that, because nobody else put her in that position.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Apparently her Dad was on Sky News during the week, I read an extract of the interview somewhere.

Her Dad is white, English and Irish Convict ancestry, he's dissapointed that she refuses to acknowledge that part of her heritage and outright called her a racist against white people.

he also debunked any notion of mental health issues and said she was just a strong person. She may be sharper than I/we give her credit for and is working on the theory that any publicity is good publicity, but personally I think she's an attention seeking idiot.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Most of what Thorpe says is on the money. However, her judgement needs to be queried. Placing herself in situations where she does draw negative attention to herself as she seems to do a fair bit doesn’t instill confidence.

Enough with the shouty persona.

On the other hand if the extremist nutters on Sky News and other Murdoch rags are “outraged” then she’s likely doing something right.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Apparently her Dad was on Sky News during the week, I read an extract of the interview somewhere.

Her Dad is white, English and Irish Convict ancestry, he's dissapointed that she refuses to acknowledge that part of her heritage and outright called her a racist against white people.

he also debunked any notion of mental health issues and said she was just a strong person. She may be sharper than I/we give her credit for and is working on the theory that any publicity is good publicity, but personally I think she's an attention seeking idiot.
Are well there’s a fiery mix!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-15/ ... /102481814

She's back. Makes allegations against a Senator Van under Parliamentary Privilege, then withdraws them, then makes generalised accusations against unnamed men in the corridors of power.

My impression of her is that she's more likely to physically rip the balls off any bloke who made unwanted advances to her than cower in a corner, but I don't know her personally.

Interesting timing. Is it legit? Is it bandwagon jumping? She's a hard book to read.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David

Post by David »

Hard to know what's going on here, but all I can say is I doubt that Peter Dutton would have removed this guy from the party room if he had reason to think that Thorpe was making completely baseless allegations.

The ABC article also suggests that she only withdrew the comments because of rules around casting aspersions on other senators' character.
watt price tully

Larissa Waters of the Greens has disclosed to the Senate that Lidia Thorpe told her 2 years ago that the Liberal Senator did what Lidia said he did. Thorpe chose then not to go public with it because it would have detracted in her view from Brittany Higgins.

The Liberal Van is a “dead man walking” .
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

Even more so now that a former Liberal Party senator has come out with testimony about him doing something similar to her:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5dgz6.html
watt price tully

David wrote:Even more so now that a former Liberal Party senator has come out with testimony about him doing something similar to her:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 5dgz6.html
While her manner at times can be grating and divisive I gotta give her her dues; she’s courageous. Loved her parting shot at the increasingly irrelevant Pauline Hanson when away from the parliamentary microphone Hanson kept on saying bullshit and referred to Thorpe’s brave and distressing disclosure as crocodile tears told Hanson to “F*ck off Pauline” as she was leaving.