Marlion Pickett just ended his short career.

Use this forum for non-Collingwood related footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

The Age has a big love piece today. He’s a family man, blah blah. Reeks of Caro. The worst people I’ve dealt with in my previous career were “family men.”
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

slangman wrote:I’m absolutely staggered at the lack of media hysteria after what both Ginnivan and De Goey were subjected to after their indiscretions.
Not sure exactly why that is, but it better be a bloody good reason why the media haven’t gone apesh*t.
The media should be condemned for going "apeh*t" re JDG, Ginni, and Crisp. The media are criminal vultures who hopefully one day will be held accountable. However, this does not mean that we should hope that another poor individual gets subjected to the same disgraceful vitriolic hysteria.
Last edited by Magpietothemax on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Mr Miyagi wrote:The Age has a big love piece today. He’s a family man, blah blah. Reeks of Caro. The worst people I’ve dealt with in my previous career were “family men.”
Weren't you demanding the presumption of innocence for JDG in the NY night club incident?
I know that I was.
Likewise, I am demanding the same for Marlin Pickett. Why aren't you?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Mttm, isn't Miyagi san allowed to condemn Pickett for his past criminal acts?
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:Mttm, isn't Miyagi san allowed to condemn Pickett for his past criminal acts?
If you go to the Wikipedia entry on Marlion Pickett, you will gain some insight into the nature of his childhood circumstances. Why should anyone condemn his criminal indiscretions as a juvenile, given the circumstances he was forced to endure as a child?
Somehow, due no doubt to his brilliant sporting abilities, he has been able to emerge from this nightmare.
But condemning him now for the past, and using that to suggest he must be guilty now, is completely unacceptable in my view.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K

Post by K »

Mttm, I reckon the majority of the commentary has been the opposite of that.

Media keep faffing about him being a "great redemption story". That's obscene! What do they reckon "redemption" means? He's just lucky enough to be good at something that pays a sh**load of money. It doesn't redeem him at all.

(He's not the only one that "redemption" is obscenely wrongly applied to.)
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It’s extraordinary. How much footy did Jordy have to miss, on top of the media hysteria. Two weeks for Pickett and he’s back playing, and not a word from the AFL.
K

Post by K »

But, Miyagi san, the type of alleged offence is a lot different, a lot less sensitive in one than the other.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I’m with MrM

He should Notre playing! Got their karma last night!

Innocent until proven guilty but by gees, 5 robberies?

Hmmm
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

No reason why he shouldn't play, and I'm glad Richmond have held their nerve and kept him in the frame for selection. That is both the professional and the morally correct thing to do.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange