Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Magpiefan3 wrote:Last time we played was 2019 Preliminary Final and we know what happened there.

The crowd of that Preliminary Final was only 77,828.
Crowd will be bigger this time more like the 90,000 against Freo for last years semi. In 2019 GWS had a home final first up but this time around travelling for the 3rd time.

They play a very similar style to us so pressure will be important to get goals from turnovers. I expect us to overrun them. Hopefully we are ahead at 3 qtr time.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Magpiefan3 wrote:Last time we played was 2019 Preliminary Final and we know what happened there...
So we are now back where we were four seasons ago; half the 2018 flag tilt list gone, and two coaches later....

We entered that 2019 Preliminary Final game, players and fans alike, that the win was effectively a foregone conclusion - we were wrong.
The game was marred by player hubris, and disgraceful umpiring by the three maggots listed below...
Thus the much expected Collingwood vs. Richmond Grand Final didn't happen in its window, nor will it happen now in the foreseeable future either.

For those like me who were seething post siren after that Prelim debacle, and are yet to get over it; well lucky us - our shot at redemption has finally arrived after four long seasons...

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 90921.html

Round: Preliminary Final Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 21-Sep-2019 4:35 PM Attendance: 77828
Collingwood 2.0.12 3.2.20 3.5.23 7.10.52
Greater Western Sydney 1.3.9 2.5.17 7.7.49 8.8.56
Qrt margin CW by 3 CW by 3 GW by 26 GW by 4

Field umpires Matt Stevic, Andrew Stephens, Simon Meredith

No doubt this will be replayed on Fuxtel504 during the week; I have to watch this, as it's part of my therapy....

We have 11 players from that side still active, minus Adams, and adding Josh Daicos.

GWS have around 10 or so players still listed, however...

Good news for us next week though: Mumford, Haines, Tomlinson, Heath Shaw, J.Cameron, Taranto, Hopper and Finlayson are all out of their best 22... from 2019PF

Oh, and Bobby Hill... :lol:

Remember, Keeffe held Mihocek to 2 solitary kicks and 0 marks and handballs in that rain; we need to ensure this scenario doesn't repeat.

Sam Taylor, Coniglio, Kelly, Whitfield, Green and Toby et al will all be total pains in our arse friday night; you can count on that.

Payback MUST be a total BITCH and delivered with a vengeance; failure is not an option.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

If we can overcome GWS and it's midfield I see it as an excellent dress rehearsal for what is to come up against the talented midfields of Brisbane or Carlton.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

GWS are very very good. We will need to be switched on and at our best o beat them.

They play a style of game not too different to ours so I expect the ball to spend a lot of time between the two defences.
I think therefore I think - I think
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Come out at anything under 100% intent Collingwood and you will be sent packing, much respect for GWS they have come from the clouds this year, and that midfield they have is very very good.

Call me crazy, but as I said in the injury thread...Adams going out could be a good thing...second half of this year we have been for the most part belted out of the middle. Diacos coming back in is a big plus, Adams I feel has been part of the problem good in patches but overall he is too slow..and his disposal at times is really poor. Would love to see a bit more speed in the middle.

My thoughts anyway.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

They couldn't have had an easier opponent with a banged up and very out of form Port.

Let's see how they handle a genuine 100 minutes of pressure.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Will be a game for the ages.

Jesse Hogan was a beast. Have to stop his movement.

Beat the giants and we will be brimming with confidence, cos it will take our best. Their second quarter onslaught was something to behold. Looked.like.us from 10 weeks ago.
Buon Giorno
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Hiss wrote:Channel 7 decide when it is! However , just because we are playing GWS, we must not take anything for granted. They are rat cunning and dangerous. Their ground ball control is best in the competition if you ask me. They travel very well and like playing at the MCG. Take them seriously I say
Couldn’t agree with you more Hissy Fit. You are spot on. We have to prepare for this like it’s a GF. I can’t see us treating it any other way but we are going to be playing an extremely competitive team who are very strong in many areas. We need to confront this challenge with the best version of ourselves and go for it right from the start, no giving away head starts. Taking everything into consideration, and with my bias becoming rampant I pick the mighty ‘pies to bring us joy by 2 - 3 goals after a very close first half.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

Last night is why players should watch other games. Our squad needs to know what they’re coming up against. For 3 quarters the Giants looked borderline amazing. Having said that, Port were soft as butter, their defence a freakin’ shambles, and their half forward line a debacle. Giants also ran out of legs in the last quarter and if not for embarrassing goal kicking by Port, might have actually been overrun.

The Giants set plays and ability to get the pill out of the centre square scares me, so again, like vs Melbourne, if we can break even here, I think we can win this game and win it well. The crowd will be a big factor this time around. In 2019 the cold and wet ensured the home crowd advantage was non existent. This time the roar of 90,000 Pies fans should put a few brown stains on some of their players’ white shorts.

No one saw this coming, but here it is. Collingwood vs … the freakin’ Giants in another preliminary final at the MCG!
Est. 2002
melliot

Post by melliot »

Gotta bring the pressure. Port couldn't get the pressure on the ball carrier enough. They were afforded space with the ball.

Also port couldn't do much in clearances. Our weakness too. Gotta at least break even.

Keefe 2nd ruck looks like a potential opportunity for us.
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

melliot wrote:Gotta bring the pressure. Port couldn't get the pressure on the ball carrier enough. They were afforded space with the ball.

Also port couldn't do much in clearances. Our weakness too. Gotta at least break even.

Keefe 2nd ruck looks like a potential opportunity for us.
That clearance issue is one reason I am concerned at having lost hard nut Adams. It is probably just my Collingwood scars twinging, but it just feels bad timing.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

We owe payback to all three teams remaining.

I feel GWS may indeed be our toughest opponent, feel they match up on us better than the other 2 and their form speaks for itself.

Gonna be an epic game, one imagines the travel will catch up with Giants towards the end so we must put in a four quarter performance, obviously
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

If he plays we must target Briggs's shoulder, bump and niggle all night, he could not raise it above 90 degrees last night
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

The fresh Pies will dominate this game.
GWS looking ok as they have played 2 weak opponents. I'll be taking the $1.55 for a win and packing the winnings in my Grand Final day hand luggage.

Pies by 27 points.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Raw Hammer
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Raw Hammer »

We beat them by 50 points on Mother’s Day. Expecting something similar.
Est. 2002