Pre-Match. Pies v. Swans. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Only change I see is Howe in for Noble, meaning someone else is the Sub as Howe will start.

The Lizard will take off if he gets the ball, that's what he does, but we don't need to play a defensive forward on him, just have our midfield pack up and block exits which is SOP really.

No need to panic, all the pieces are there, just need better focus. I'm not convinced Ash is the answer as 2nd tall, I'd prefer Reef, but I can't see him being dropped after 1 game, he'll get at least 3 poor ones in a row before being dropped.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Piesnchess wrote:WE lost last week to GWS, which are a 4 goal better team up there, we lost by 5 had more scoring shots, and at least 9 players way down, out of sorts, including Pendles. THAT wont happen again. NO way Jose. Swans beat a disunited rabble in the Deees, racked by internal problems, at their pissy chardonnay tiny oval. THIS is at OUR MCG, our turf, we unfurl the flag, the magpie army salute, then we get down to real hard work, to quote Fly. WE wiil be in a filthy mood too, out to make amends. Woods by 20+ points.
Did you actually watch Sydney dismantle the Dees last week? Grundy and Heeney BoG. It will be a mighty struggle for us to win against their red hot form.
And one more thing. Show a bit more respect to the opposition. I'm sick of your "pissy" fits about opposition teams and their grounds. If they didn't exist there'd be no AFL and no Collingwood. Talk about giving people on social media the idea Collingwood fans are still toothless morons.
And footy has evolved way beyond moods and attitudes these days. It's about having the best system (which is exactly why we won the flag last year). If we had relied on talent or attitude alone in 2023 we'd have struggled to make the eight let alone win the flag.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

Jezza wrote:Exciting to be back at home and unfurling the flag. Haven't seenany details on the unfurling and what time it will start. Hopefully the club releases some details soon. From what I can gather and my memories of 2011, I think it's advisable for supporters to arrive early so they don't miss it..
It was mentioned on AFL 360 that the flag unfurling will commence at 6:15 pm.
There won’t be much of a crowd there at that time.
What are the club thinking by doing it at such an early time.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
themaster

Post by themaster »

Too hard to have a big crowd for that. It should be done just before the tram runs out. Get the crowd fired up.
It's like they want to bury it. Hopefully they reconsider. Drinks and food are too expensive to spend and extra 1.5 hours in the MCG
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

1eyedpie wrote:It was mentioned on AFL 360 that the flag unfurling will commence at 6:15 pm.
There won’t be much of a crowd there at that time.
What are the club thinking by doing it at such an early time.
Thanks for posting those details.
In 2011, it was a 7pm start so this is earlier than I anticipated.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

I think the Leigh Mathew’s remark have spooked the club.
They are robbing thousands of supporters the joy of unfurling the flag.
Poor form from the club if you ask me.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I understand the logic of waiting for a couple of weeks before dropping players, but I actually think we need to change it up now. Dean did OK, but he needs to make way for the return of Howe. Mitchell will no doubt be needed in the trenches come September, but right now we need a bit more zip around the packs, which points to a promotion of Macrae into the team. As for Johnson, he was way, way too insipid for my liking. It's one thing to have a bad game, but his inability to find space anywhere or even to apply some defensive pressure, suggests to me that the kid just may not have the nous to make it as an AFL player. He has incredible skills and I like him, but to dish up what he did against the midgets was not good. He needs to put in a few weeks of manic pressure football in the VFL before being considered again for a senior berth. Reef should come in.

Ins: Howe, Macrae, McInnes

Outs: Dean, Mitchell, Johnson
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

shawthing wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:WE lost last week to GWS, which are a 4 goal better team up there, we lost by 5 had more scoring shots, and at least 9 players way down, out of sorts, including Pendles. THAT wont happen again. NO way Jose. Swans beat a disunited rabble in the Deees, racked by internal problems, at their pissy chardonnay tiny oval. THIS is at OUR MCG, our turf, we unfurl the flag, the magpie army salute, then we get down to real hard work, to quote Fly. WE wiil be in a filthy mood too, out to make amends. Woods by 20+ points.
Did you actually watch Sydney dismantle the Dees last week? Grundy and Heeney BoG. It will be a mighty struggle for us to win against their red hot form.
And one more thing. Show a bit more respect to the opposition. I'm sick of your "pissy" fits about opposition teams and their grounds. If they didn't exist there'd be no AFL and no Collingwood. Talk about giving people on social media the idea Collingwood fans are still toothless morons.
And footy has evolved way beyond moods and attitudes these days. It's about having the best system (which is exactly why we won the flag last year). If we had relied on talent or attitude alone in 2023 we'd have struggled to make the eight let alone win the flag.

Oh pardon me for having a opinion different too yours, so in your brain home ground advantage means nothing at all,, jack shit, tell that too the Cats, or the Lions who dominate their home games, against al opposition, as do the GWS. Why is the Gabba called the Gabbatoir ?? cos the home ground advantage is huge, any dickhead knows that. GWS fielded the same team against us in the PF down here, and we won, on the MCG, had it been up there we would have lost the PF. You are a total pessimist half glass empty type, so much pessimism, you must enjoy our defeats, get a ride out of it, Toothless morons, ?? Your the toothless moron, denigrating our Premiership team, saying it had little talent and attitude, should not have made the 8, what a total ludicrous thing to say . I reckon your warped views are very much in the minnoriy amongst true Magpies fans like on here. Dont bother replying, im done with your drivel.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Ins: Macrae, Frampton
Outs: Mitchell, Cox

Going to save Howe for one more week. Cox was putrid last week. AJ very lucky to survive but needs another chance. Frampton to cover KB and ruck support with Johnson.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

shawthing wrote: Did you actually watch Sydney dismantle the Dees last week? Grundy and Heeney BoG. It will be a mighty struggle for us to win against their red hot form.
Are you kidding me? I remember thousands of people saying that we could ever beat Brisbane in the GF because of their red hot form! How did that work out for them?
Also you have completely got the respect issue back to front. I can tell you that for years, it was bloody obvious that if you didn’t have Collingwood, you’d never have the AFL
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

LaurieHolden wrote:One of the biggest match-up headaches for us is who has the physical attributes to counter a player that is 195cm - 80kg athletic, skill-full and runs like a whippet in Nick 'the lizard' Blackey. He's a generational talent.
McCreery possesses the requisite pace but gives away 15cm.
The Lizard doesn't like it hot, I'd play McCreery on him and get him to play tight and physical; a quarter of that and the Lizard will be less inclined to run off half back, you mark my words
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Piesnchess wrote:
shawthing wrote:

Oh pardon me for having a opinion different too yours, so in your brain home ground advantage means nothing at all,, ...
Nothing beats footy season on Nicks; so playful
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer