The "game day experience" aint what it used to be

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Arch@M32 wrote:Who amongst this "younger generation" wants it? Were they surveyed? Was a study conducted? Why would the "younger generation" want mostly 30+ year old songs played after each goal?

Show me the evidence that shows that young people want it!
I haven’t got any evidence to support that view because it is just my opinion. However based on the responses, it looks like I was well off the mark.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I loved it 50 years ago and I love it today!

Sure, it's changed heaps.

Back in the 70's & 80's as a kid, you could sneak in the changerooms before the game, get up close with the players for autographs anytime and kick the footy on the ground at the breaks.
Today, being amongst a noisy crowd, with the Pies playing our exciting brand is heaven for me.

You have to make every day a winner, you don't know how many you've got.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Growing crowd numbers would have to suggest someone likes it (not me!).

That being said kiss-cam and oblivious-cam are both kinda fun.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Kiss-cam is fun, happens at halftime and doesn't intrude upon the game.
It also got my daughter to kiss me for the first time in about 15 years.
So a thumbs up from me.

The other stuff, the flashing lights, announcer's screaming, advertisements etc.. I find a bit overwhelming.
Lone Ranger
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Lone Ranger »

How about in the couple of minutes before the bounce they turn the music off, shut up, and let the atmosphere/expectation build naturally
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Lone Ranger wrote:How about in the couple of minutes before the bounce they turn the music off, shut up, and let the atmosphere/expectation build naturally
This.
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Australian’s are classic. We pat ourselves on the back for how relaxed and laid-back we are, yet spend our time complaining about noise and lights at an entertainment venue!!

Fan-engagement activities are fine, gets a bit of a chuckle. The post-goal songs are chosen by the players, and the post-goal and pre-game lighting I think is impressive and adds to the experience. Particularly when it emphasises the home team - with so many teams sharing the same ground, the “home” advantage is lost, so any opportunity to drive that I think is a positive.

For mine, the Marvel games are the ones I look forward to the most! Easy to get to/from and navigate and they have an amazing restaurant for a delicious feed pre-game. MCG is great in its own right. I don’t understand the obsession with crapping on Marvel to pump up the G’s tyres.

Final thought; so much is spoken in this thread about the dislike of the modern “bells & whistles” yet the vast majority aren’t getting out there to go watch grassroots or even VFL football, which suggests you’re more full of it than having a genuine concern.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Spot on.
All for show but no go for mine.
Made the actual match day as way to much of a light show for mine.
Bring back the under 21s curtain raser any day.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Marvel's food options shit all over the G.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Simply_Brutal wrote:Australian’s are classic. We pat ourselves on the back for how relaxed and laid-back we are, yet spend our time complaining about noise and lights at an entertainment venue!!

Fan-engagement activities are fine, gets a bit of a chuckle. The post-goal songs are chosen by the players, and the post-goal and pre-game lighting I think is impressive and adds to the experience. Particularly when it emphasises the home team - with so many teams sharing the same ground, the “home” advantage is lost, so any opportunity to drive that I think is a positive.

For mine, the Marvel games are the ones I look forward to the most! Easy to get to/from and navigate and they have an amazing restaurant for a delicious feed pre-game. MCG is great in its own right. I don’t understand the obsession with crapping on Marvel to pump up the G’s tyres.

Final thought; so much is spoken in this thread about the dislike of the modern “bells & whistles” yet the vast majority aren’t getting out there to go watch grassroots or even VFL football, which suggests you’re more full of it than having a genuine concern.
That's a little harsh. The noise was one of the two reasons I stopped going to the football (the other was the dreadful coaching under the previous regime). I don't mind extremely loud noise (I was a professional rock musician for many years) - but I found it sad that I went to the football with my oldest friend and we couldn't even talk to each other about the game while it was being played. Time was, you could talk at stoppages, and at quarter time and half-time. That possibility isn't there any longer.

Personallly, I don't want to hear a loud "Collingwood" chant when I'm at a Stones concert and I didn't want to hear "Jumping Jack Flash" when I was at the football.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Eloquently put, as usual, David.
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Growing crowd numbers would have to suggest someone likes it (not me!).

Normal population growth will see corresponding increases in crowds
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

dalyc wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:Growing crowd numbers would have to suggest someone likes it (not me!).

Normal population growth will see corresponding increases in crowds
Not sure many of the half million Indians or chinese coming into the country go to games :?

Crowds are up 25% since 2016, I think the countries population has increased at less than half that rate.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

One thing I dont get is this supposed cost of living crisis, supermarket price gouging, price hikes, mortgage stress, struggle to put food on the table, etc. YET, footy crowds continue to be huge, 80 000 plus some matches, 90 000 now very common. Lets face it to have a good day at the footy, you need AT LEAST, $100 min, fares, match entry, food, couple of beers, and for families, its far more than that, has too be. Club memberships, most, are very expensive, some nearly $1000 , minimum, yet grounds are packed out weekly. I wonder how many " battlers " go to footy, spend their coin,then line up for food boxes at food banks, wben the cash has gone. And dont even start me, on footy gambling, the mass footy gambling industry buddy bet, and all that stuff, I just find it weird in a cost of living crisis, thats all.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.