Craig McRare should be under Fire for Bad Coaching

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

AT least Fly does not drop the F Bomb at his press conferences. Hello to Dimma. !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

In context Dimma was 100% right. The Suns do the same thing every year and it is a sign of how badly we played up there they beat us.

I'd actually like to see Fly get angry once in a while. A few F-bombs might be required at the moment.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Gold Coast are beasts at home, but fall apart away from home. Been happening for a long time.

It's actually reassuring Fly remains calm and composed, and hasn't let emotions get the better of him publicly the way it did with Hardwick. I'm sure Fly's far tougher behind closed doors.
Last edited by Jezza on Mon Jul 08, 2024 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Should have leppistch there next to him coaching.
This worked so well in 2022 and 2023.
Havent seen leppa there since the 2023 GF.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by piffdog »

Not that he did nothing last year, but he'll be earning his pay cheque now...

Given how hard it is to win a flag, the best evidence we have of someone who "can coach" is surely the guy (team) that just delivered one. You have to keep moving forward - rediscovering 2023 is not going to win us another one.

So what else have you got Fly? I'm pretty happy he's our coach. Get back to me if we dont play fiunals for the next 5 years, but for now I am keen to see how "the organisation" responds to this adversity.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
shawthing

Re: Craig McRare should be under Fire for Bad Coaching

Post by shawthing »

After the latest round of selections and hubris, someone hand this man a mirror.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I think McRae is a decent coach
You don’t win flags based in luck alone
My only gripe is I think he’s taken the arms around them hug them approach to much
I think he needs to come out in the media and let a couple bullets fly aimed directly at senior underperforming players.
McInnes gets axed every other week mostly after being a sub yet no senior player has felt the axe for continued bad form
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Why does he have to do it in the media?
Give them nothing.

Maybe it is done behind closed doors.
Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
If a tree falls in a forest......
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Dark Beanie wrote: ↑Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:25 am Why does he have to do it in the media?
Give them nothing.

Maybe it is done behind closed doors.
Just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
If a tree falls in a forest......
I get what your saying but it hasn’t happened at the selection table
We’ve see. Players like Moore IQ and a few others be well below there best most of the season yet it’s players like Richard’s Dean etc who are constantly dropped
That’s not the message that should be sent for selection integrity IMO
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Send a message?

We have no fully fit forwards, at times we have played minus 9 walk up players, ‘hey boys, you”still standing, that means you have another 10 more110% efforts in you before you pop that nagging groin?’

Oh lookie, now we are down JDG too for tomorrow.

Get a grip, the AwFuL smashed us early making us play a week early, 3 games in 3 weeks in summer, and 2 of them interstate, follow up with a huge onslaught of injuries, 2 draws which can both be attributed to shit umpires, the oppositions bootstudder is allowed to scrag Nick Daicos but Bruzzy can’t look sideways at anyone!

I’ve noticed we are not running with like the previous seasons - maybe thereis no one able to because they are trying to cover holes and help out kids!

Nothing has gone right for us.

Last years premiership was 2 years of damn hard slogging, and boy was it the most deserved win in a long time.

Losing sux! I getit! But I’m more than happy for fly to keeps his fury or disappointments for individuals in house.

Mick on cloke after a GF loss - Cloke had missed the GF the year before for a bullshit suspension ‘he played better in the last one”.

Ginnie: read the room. Andthe dickhead shows up in a jockey outfit. After doing didlly squat in the GF.

I know which coach I want to hear from.

The club has said we will not start early again, now I want to hear them say we will not play our home games at marvel against teams for whom it is their home ground.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
piffdog
Been liked: 33 times

Post by piffdog »

I think he and the rest of the coaches should be asking themselves what they could have done differently. Here’s why I am comfortable though - I can guarantee you they will be doing just that.

However you wanna carve up this season, I don’t for one second think the coach goes home and says to his wife “im doing a great job, but everyone else is an amateur…”.

I do think, however, that if you don’t have an amazing list the only way to win a flag is by tapping into the emotion of it all. I think Buckley did this in ‘18 and Hinkley relies on it most of the time including their 13 game win streak last year when his neck was on the block. I think that aspect alone delivered us #16 last year and was set up by a sense of u finished business after ‘22. The problem I see with this however is when it’s not there (the emotion), what else have you got? I feel like the team have figured out ‘23 won’t be another flag and as a result they’re not sure what they’re playing for.

The challenge for the coach is figuring out how to get this list back on track for some kind of shared purpose/goal and I think that can only start in the off season ahead of ‘25.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Fly is perhaps our greatest ever coach, certainly in the modern era. I back him to do what’s best for our team.
shawthing

Post by shawthing »

RudeBoy wrote: ↑Sun Jul 28, 2024 11:42 am Fly is perhaps our greatest ever coach, certainly in the modern era. I back him to do what’s best for our team.
Recency bias much! If you look at Mick Malthouse's record he took us from wooden spooners to a GF in 2002 (which we would have won except for a terrible goal umpiring decision). Got us there again in 2003 with an aging list of good ordinary footballers plus Bucks. We all know what happened in 2010 and we SHOULD have won in 2011. In fact would have won had Eddie's massively stupid succession plan not shoved Mick out the door. By GF time even the players couldn't give a stuff since they all wanted Mick.

So Fly has a long way to go yet. This is his first real test and so far the jury is still well out.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jezzus, bugger me, Bob Rose coached us to many Finals, and GFs, No flag, Hafey likewise, 4 losing GFs, MM got one, unlucky in two others, Bucks reamed by umpire late in 2018 GF, no flag. Fly comes into a side finished 17th on ladder, a bees dick off a spoon, and takes us to a Prelim, first season, lose by 1 lousy point. Last yr, we get the Holy Grail in only his second yr, for Chrissakes !! This yr, ruined an destroyed by ongoing long term injuries, second worst to the Tigers, JDG and Mihochek big losses up forward, plus Murphy sad retirement, nothing gone right this season for Fly. Get **** some of you, read Think Positive posts, shes a real Magpie fan, you MIGHT just learn something.
s
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

shawthing wrote: ↑Sun Jul 28, 2024 12:47 pmFly has a long way to go yet.
Yes, he does - hopefully another 12 seasons and another flag in every 3. He took over a poor team of also-rans and turned them instantly in contenders. He has the best winning percentage of any Collingwood coach of the last 50 years and is - let's be quite blunt about this - 1 for 1 from Grand Finals. He's undoubtedly the best coach Clollingwood has had in my lifetime.