VFL Round 16

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Cats overhead marking much better, although it is getting delivered on a plate.

Getting overrun in the last quarter ☹️
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

DP
Last edited by Dark Beanie on Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Oh don’t get me started on the VFL umpires, seriously you are so right.

But our VFL team is just so poor this year. Too short, too slow, too soft, can’t mark, ineffective disposal and just kick to contests or out numbers. It’s round 16 and I’m still waiting for evidence of a game plan or even trying something different.

Want to see Jiath on a wing. McInnes on a wing. Bytel at half fwd. Johnson and Allen at half back. DeMattia in the back pocket. Just try something!
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Final score Cats 15.13.103 defeated Pies 11.8.74
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I thought we were ok today when you compare the experience of the Cats verse our patched up team. The cats had so much more of the footy but at least we looked connected AT TIMES compared to previous weeks. The eye catcher for me was DeMattia. First time he’s looked really comfortable at the level and he took a couple very strong overhead marks for an on ball type. Very vocal and hard at it.
Further up the ground, McInnes, Sullivan and Bytel all worked hard but fell a bit short for the polish required at a higher level, while Johnson went from Lindt chocolates to boiled lollies in the space of a week. We will get a few back over the next fortnight, so hopefully the players can get a reward for swimming against the tide in the coming weeks.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Goals: Crocker 3, Sullivan & Mahoney 2, McStay, Macrae, Bytel, Allan

Top disposals: Bytel 33, Glover 28, Lane 24, Macrae 19

AF points: Bytel 116, Glover 100, Glover 89, McInnes 85

Good crowd at AIA today, lucky the rain held off, was actually quite warm when the sun was out (may also have been due the number of layers I was wearing :lol: )

Got hammered in hitouts and clearances but when the Pies got a clearance and moved the ball quickly they looked quite good.

As has been the way for most of the season, ran out of legs in the 2nd half.

The Cats looked a better settled team, knowing where & when to kick the ball and run into space. Pies did a lot of chasing in the 2nd half.

Smit was taken off in the final qtr. Kid needs a rest rucking against bigger opponents each week.

McStay got through unscathed. Not ready for AFL yet, needs get some match fitness in the VFL.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Last edited by Dark Beanie on Sun Jul 14, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Dark Beanie wrote:Entry is free to VFL games, so no money being made/lost there.

There are a couple of food trucks at Vic Park on game day (if you are lucky).
Assume the same AIA.

The only money at VFL games is the home canteen if the ground has one
That’s my point - fixturing doesn’t consider spectators enjoyment because they don’t pay. If it were a paid match and they could get 100 extra supporters to Vic Park then they would play it there…
Buon Giorno
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

To make it a paid match at Vic Park would mean temporary fencing would need to be installed on the south side of the ground, which would chew up most of the little money you'd get from tickets.

Making it a paid match would also discourage people from attending.

Keep it free, play it wherever, people will either show up or they won't.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Good turnout at AIA today.
Probably would have got a bit more of a crowd at Vic Park but not much more.

People go to VFL because it is free.
Unless it is finals, they won’t pay.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Any news on Dean heard he injured him self today.
How did Harry DeMattina and TJ go.
Dark Beanie

Post by Dark Beanie »

Injury update will be on Monday, club website.

Or you can consult your local crystal ball…
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

stui magpie wrote:^

To make it a paid match at Vic Park would mean temporary fencing would need to be installed on the south side of the ground, which would chew up most of the little money you'd get from tickets.

Making it a paid match would also discourage people from attending.

Keep it free, play it wherever, people will either show up or they won't.
I’m clearly not explaining myself well! It should stay free of course but they should be playing it at the better venue for fans.
Buon Giorno
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

I felt we played pretty well for most of the game. The effort was there. Some simple things were off, but felt it was a good step forward. Didn't help having 1 on the bench at after 3QT after Smit and Dean going off injured.

Reef is so much better when played up the ground, thought he played well.

Bytel : 33 disposals, 5 clearances, 7 marks, 1 goal, 9 inside 50's, 13 contested possessions
Macrae: 19 disposals, 1 goal, 8 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 score involvements, 14 contested possessions
Reef: 18 disposals, 8 marks, 8 score involvements, 4 inside 50's, 7 contested possessions
DeMattia: 17 disposals, 6 marks, 5 score involvements
TJ: 15 disposals, 6 marks, 4 intercepts
Allan: 15 disposals, 1 goal, 6 tackles, 4 score involvements
Sullivan - 13 disposals, 2 goals, 4 clearances, 4 score involvements
Smit: 11 disposals, 8 hitouts, 4 score involvements
Dean: 11 disposals, 8 marks
Mcstay: 7 disposals, 1 goal, 4 marks, 4 score involvements
Johnson: 6 disposals, 2 marks

Saw multiple injured players like Eyre, Parker and Ryan in the huddles. Would be handy having them playing.
Hopefully the protocols is going well for Eyre, and he is right to play next week. He did some decent running on Thurs morning.
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Thanks Jen snd D B as always. The take aways for mine was McInnes repeat efforts and endeavour and DeMattia is now starting to win his position more often.
Our clubs ability to attract injuries at the moment is frustrating to say the least. They’re not generally soft tissue but much more collision or impact related incidents. Dean seemed to cop a head knock before he went off and I assumed Smit was injured when he didn’t reappear after three quarter time.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “