Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Re: Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All com

Post by doriswilgus »

A win is a win,but as others have said that was very underwhelming.I can’t help but feel people would have felt a lot better about the game if we had kicked away in the last quarter instead of letting them out score us.It wasn’t a great way to finish if the game,to be honest.

Let’s hope we can get out act together and win the game against Carlton for Pendlebury’s 400th.Now that would be something special.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Re: Post Match. Pies trump Tigers. All comments.

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Cue sticks in the rack by three quarter time, tigers were never going to make a comeback. McStay and Cox made us look like a better team, straightened us up and we were much better with inside 50s, clearances and contested footy. But we were missing that extra 5-10% pressure we exhibited the last couple of seasons, and I feel that’s from knowing we’re going to struggle to reach the GF from this point.

We’ll need to win every game, and maybe another team or two to lose theirs, to make finals now — and it looks like the players and coaches know it. Fully fit De Goey would have killed it in the middle today.

My only hope for the rest of the year is we have a crack — and we absolutely flog Carlton next week for Pendles.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

We got the win which was good after the last month of terrible losses but we should have been more convincing against the Tigers.
It was good to see Moore back to something resembling his best whilst Nick was Nick and McStay provided that tall marking option up forward which we have sadly missed all season.
Coxy also played well after such a long lay off.

Negatives, sadly there were plenty.
Lipinski’s output is about 3/10. Consistently a step behind play and his inability to stick a tackle is problematic.
Schultz - the John Noble of the forward line. Try’s hard but has way too many limitations to be anything other than a bit player. Gaining a habit of missing set shots from directly in front which doesn’t help you win premierships.
WHE - has been too quiet for a player of his ability and experience.

The team has enough ability and skill but it seems the desperation required to win isn’t at the level of the previous two seasons.
Some lazy efforts, some bit too fancy efforts, sometimes lack of effort, some unacceptable misses….sums up todays game and also our season imho.

Big game next week for Pendlebury’s 400th game. I expect the team to lift their performance to 2023 levels in honour of our greatest ever player!!!
- Side By Side -
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Insipid last quarter with too many easy possessions and defence leaking goals from our sieve defenders. I must say Isaac Quaynor has fallen off the cliff insofar as being an impactful, safe and reliable backman. I'd seriously consider piutting him up for trade particularly if the rumours are true that he is sooking over Jack Ginnivan. One way of getting us back into the top 15 in this year's draft.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I think with the Bullflogs & HAW winning today it cements our position on the ladder.

Guessing SYD won’t play like that against us sadly hey…
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Do you reckon there’s any chance the coaches put the cue in the rack knowing it’s a six day break before the Blues ? Pendlebury subbed out and Cameron on the bench for most of the second half of the last quarter. Naicos also on the bench when the siren went.
Would “ we “ rather run ourselves into the ground against the Tigers or keep a little in the tank against the Blues in six days time.
Percentage won’t help us, that only option is to keep winning, even if it’s by only a point.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

We did enough to win and that is all. I suspect the last quarter was played to team instruction, which is all good, considering what we have coming up for the next three weeks. There was no point risking injuries in the last quarter.

I thought most of the players brought in this week did pretty well I didn't mind Bytel's game, however his disposal at times needs more work. Long did okay as did Parker. Sullivan tried hard in the last quarter to make an impact. HH, however was off the pace all game and continued his form from before he was dropped. If McCreery is back soon, HH won't hold his place on current form. I would like to see the other ins this week get games next week and beyond, if possible.

Moore and McStay did well as did the Big American though he really really needs to work on his set shot routine as his goal kicking was abysmal. Quaynor also was more dynamic today. Bobby was okay but I reckon he is carrying a leg injury at the moment, which he seems to feel more after impacts on him than when when running, marking etc.

The Dacii both imposed themselves on the game and were getting their hands on the ball. However neither had to deal with close checking players as they have both have in previous weeks.

All in all it was a routine and too a degree, an expected win. However the Tigers brought little pressure at centre bounces and clearances, which I dont think will happen when we play Carlton, Sydney, or Melbourne. Today's game was more a tune up for the next three games I thought. And it certainly felt good to hear Good Old Collingwood Forever again.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Pies2016 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:08 pm Do you reckon there’s any chance the coaches put the cue in the rack knowing it’s a six day break before the Blues ? Pendlebury subbed out and Cameron on the bench for most of the second half of the last quarter. Naicos also on the bench when the siren went.
100%. Game won at half time, and didn’t feel like we were worried about percentage. Let’s face it, we’re not going to win the flag from here.

Apparently de Goey had gastro. He would have killed it in centre clearances today. But them’s the breaks and sums up our season.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times

Post by piffdog »

Mr Miyagi wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:22 pm
Pies2016 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 6:08 pm Do you reckon there’s any chance the coaches put the cue in the rack knowing it’s a six day break before the Blues ? Pendlebury subbed out and Cameron on the bench for most of the second half of the last quarter. Naicos also on the bench when the siren went.

Apparently de Goey had gastro. He would have killed it in centre clearances today. But them’s the breaks and sums up our season.
Not quite right. Didn’t get up from his ongoing groin issue. Richards came in as his replacement then Richards withdrew due to gastro.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times

Post by piffdog »

Agree with some earlier posts. We got the win, but it was pretty flat. We’ll need to be better than that to salute again this season.

Funny how our C Graders played big last year but this year look like C Graders again.

Hawks thumping Crows is probably the end of our season I think. If not quite mathematically then not far off.

Wonder if we get a look at De Mattia and Eyre before the season is over.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Today more about how Shit Richmond is then how well Collingwood is playing

Need Enjoy our Win as could be our Final win of 2024

Next 2 weeks we could lose by 10+ Goals
I am Da Man
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

woodys_world69 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 4:19 pm not sure about a "thumping" but can hear on the TV the crowd was flat. not one time did the collingwood chant go up... that was a little weird.
Was at the game. The whole crowd vibe was different today. Hardly any atmosphere. The biggest cheer came at half time during kiss cam when a brother and sister refused to kiss for the camera when the camera went to them 5 or 6 times.

I think the vibe was different because the tigers know how bad they are and aren’t expecting much. The Pies supporters are all a little shell shocked and just wanted to fast forward to the 4 points without any incidents or injuries.

Make no mistakes we got the 4 points and bar from Bytel getting a late hit in the ribs, Double H getting a knock to the side of his face and Cameron getting his legs taken out from under him we survived.

We’re going to have to be happy with that and save our angst tears and cheers for SP400 when we crush the blues!
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

If we can win next week then I'll be content knowing that we won the flag last year and at least beat the flogs twice this year. But I fear we don't have the grunt left in us, Pendles or no Pendles. In fact celebration games, whoever has them, tend to motivate the opposition as spoilers most of the time I reckon.
Get back on top.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

For all those counting the points that’s 40 and only 16 more to go before our season’s officially over.

Want to give out some shouts and sours for today’s game.

McStay was good early clunking a few and kicking two but our forward entries continually to be poor. He didn’t see the ball kicked towards him again until late in the third and when one out at FF we kicked it to a tiger or out on the full.

Naicos got a lot of the ball but his disposal is still off. At least 3 times he streamed kicks into the 50 with the ball landing in tigers hands and being transitioned without intercept for a tigers goal. Needs to start taking the easy option hitting the lead up player rather than kicking long to the hot spot.

Bytel - see above only wider and gives more balls to the opposition than our forwards.

Jaicos was probably our BOG but a lot of kicks around the man in the mark amd without penetration.

Good to get some game time into Cox but his marking and kicking was woeful today. The only player with worse kick today was John Noble. OMG can that guy butcher the ball. Runs too far then telegraphs slow loopy kicks. It’s the MCG on a swirly windy day, kick low darts to teammates advantage, not helicopter lottery lobs! Noble is good for speed support running by but his disposal is worse than Naicos and Bytel and his turnovers are more damaging.

Finally shout out to Will Parker. Had a few really good defensive and offensive moments today, the trap on the wing to send it forward when the ball was like ice for everyone else and the quick grab and toe kick into 50 for the Schultz goal in the third.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
pieboy
Been liked: 2 times

Post by pieboy »

Even if we win the next 4 games, we could still miss the finals cause the Bulldogs need to lose 2 games cause of their high percentage. It's unlikely the other teams in the eight will drop out looking at their draw