Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Game Day. Pies v. Swans. Late changes, comments.

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
No worries @Donny . Unfortunately we've lost Double H, Johnson and Eyre to injury in the first half of the VFL
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

For anyone wanting an early lean on how you might scorn the umpiring tonight, there's lots of holding off the ball free kicks being paid in the Swans v Pies VFL game. They're mostly off camera forward off the ball so it's hard to see why.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Changes since we last met:

Collingwood out:
De Goey 20 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal
Dean 12 disposals, 6 marks
Johnson 3 disposals, 1 mark
Macrae 8 disposals 26% TOG
Markov 12 disposals 5 marks
Mihocek 7 disposals, 2 marks

Collingwood in:
Long
Frampton
Richards
Bytel
Noble
McStay

Sydney out:
McInerney 21 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal
Melican 9 disposals, 5 marks
Papley 17 disposals, 4 marks, 1 goal
Wicks 2 disposals, 1 goal 22% TOG

Sydney in:
Mills
Adams
Parker
Cleary
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m hoping we beat them and keep our thin finals dreams alive
I just get a feeling after last week they’ll come out breathing fire and while we’ve won a couple games we’ve hardly been in great form
It’s hard to see us handing them a hiding like last week
And it’s also hard to see them being back to their best after a performance like last week
Tonight will be more about how they handle what happened last week mentally
If we start fast and take our early chances how do they mentally react ?
Heart says pies head says swans based purely on the entirety of the season
Pies by 4 points
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

Not confident at all tonight.

A: we have an awful record at the SCG.

B: i have a sinking feeling the Swans will come out wanting to crush at home.

C: i don't like the team we have selected

D: the garbage the team served up in the last quater last week was back to the poor efforts of rounds a few weeks back.
Last edited by derkd on Fri Aug 09, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Poor old Richards is going to be well and truly buggered, playing 2 games in the one day, as the CFC website said he was selected to play in our VFL side!
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

We have won only two of our last eight up in Sydney; admittedly, some of those games were closely run.

I have concerns that Gulden may feast out against us- only needs about 15-20 possessions to slice us up.

If we can break even out of the centre, I believe that we can win this- McStay, Cox and the forwards will need neat supply against a Swan's defence that is boosted by the return of Rampe and has the ever-reliable McCartin.

Our backs will need to play with dash through the middle- Sydney will try and clog that part of the ground up as they did at the MCG earlier this year.

Without De Goey, Mitchell, Mihocek we may struggle to kick a winning score unless Elliott, WHE, Schultz and Bobby Hill have big nights.

If we are to win, it will be with much-improved efforts from the following: Noble, Lipinski, Bytel (disposal efficiency), Quaynor and Joe Richards on his return...

The heart says the Pies by 17 points, but the head says Sydney in a very close finish...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

It might be tough to beat the Swans on their home ground with both Rampe and Amartey back in their side. Degoey is a really big out for us as Sydney's ground can promote congested play and Degoey's hard body would have been invaluable in the packs. His semi-replacement Richards is an outside runner who is not really capable of asserting himself in packs or tackling and relies on his speed and footy smarts to impact play. Sidebottom is selected as on the ball but I doubt that will be his role on the night (hopefully) I would prefer him or Richards as the sub. Our defence needs to be tight and switched on as the SCG is essentially a two kick ground - two good kicks and you can go almost end to end. That can mean a fair bit of fast ball into the Swans forward 50 and if we arent ready for that, it could be a long night. We also need to be closely marking their small forwards as time and again, it is small forwards who cut us up. Our smaller backs, such as Noble, need to be accountable for those forwards, particularly with Parker and Heeney likely to be spending time in the forward line as usual.

The ruck battle will be interesting. Will Big Mason have an easter egg for Grundy? I hope he does. Both him and Cameron have big roles to play. Grundy's average tap work may suit our mids if we can predict his taps too. If we get first possession and can get the ball out to our leading forwards we have a chance. Bombing the ball inside 50 will only suit Rampe who reads the ball very well usually. I would also like to see some big McCreery tackles in the first half. If we can get the Swans defence and mids McCreery conscious through that, it will certainly assist in creating turnovers for us.

I suspect this will be a dour struggle. Ignoring last weeks result for the Swans, that is a pretty strong line up for the Swans. If they arent on top of their game still, I think we can go goal for goal with them, though I am expecting them to revert to a kick mark possession game if we get ahead. If that happens, we are likely to struggle since we have declined to counter such tactics in other games this season. We can expect Nick to be tagged and the question then who steps up and who can run out the game if they do? Pendlebury. Sidebottom, and Crisp (and to a lesser degree Howe) all have trouble running out games in the last half now. That said our team is starting to mesh together more effectively and hopefully that will open up avenues to goal for us. We need our goal kicking skills to be peak this week, as it is likely to be a low scoring affair and we cannot afford to miss chances through lazy preparation for set shots. If we miss a few we are likely to kick ourselves out of the game.

Once again I am predicting this to be low scoring and tight. Collingwood by 5 points.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Re: Game On! Pies v. Swans. Updates, all comments.

Post by ANNODAM »

I’ll take a W thanks, any margin will do.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

Last chance for us tonight.What a shame Degoey’s not playing.He would have made a huge difference,especially if he had been fully fit,which he hasn’t been for quite a while now.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Come on boys!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Sydney started well.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Needed that. A steadier from Crisp!

Sydney 13-7 Collingwood.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

It took a full half of footy for the Swans to kick their first goal against Port. They have 2 already in the first ten minutes. We always get sucked into the contest against them as they pack the ball on this piddling little ground. Come on boys lift! It's win or go home for the season tonight.

That goal is a steadier though.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Well take it but that’s rubbish! Shouldn’t get a second goal for that.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.