VFL Round 21 - Final H&A round

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: VFL Round 21 - Final H&A round

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Isaiah Markovsky with a great second goal running in from 40m. Great hands from Richards to get the ball to him over his head under tackling pressure. Isaiah moves like a Daicos.

I’m a fan already

Whoever thought we could have 3 of them. Are there more?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion

Evenly poised at 3/4 time

VFL pies 9.9 63 vs lion 9.8 62
Lions pushing hard for the vfl top 4. Pies withstanding and showing fight so far which is great. Hopefully the pies can retain their composure in the last and lower their eyes to hit targets.

C’mon Pies
The Black and White Lion

Pies up by 8 at the 18minute mark. Flys words have done the trick. VFL umpires bordering on cheating in favour of the lions, very disappointing but pies not giving up
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Terrible umpiring, guess we should be used to it. Great effort by the boys with some nice bits of play. Hopefully some inspiration for the firsts.
The Black and White Lion

Great win to finish the season by the VFL Pies

VFL pies 11.11 77 to 10.9 69 lions

The pies held out for the last 10mins in game saving mode under strong pressure from the lions who were risking everything.

Finally something to shout about. Good team effort today. Crocker Glover and Reef so good marks in the last. Richards some smooth moves. Smit battled hard but the frees for the lions and lack of for the pies were very u fair in the last.

Hopefully this spurs on the seniors also this evening
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

VFL pies won by 8 points. I thought Mccrea was the best for Collingwood with 31 touches and seemed to be at the right place at the right time. He is certainly worthy of a senior recall next week.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:49 pm Smit battled hard but the frees for the lions and lack of for the pies were very u fair in the last.
If I was paranoid or believed in conspiracies, I’d swear that all umpires have been clearly instructed not to give anything but the most obvious frees to Collingwood in the last quarters. It is bordering on the past ridiculous stage and downright pathetic.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Thanks for the updates, The Black and White Lion

Good to see the boys get a win in what has been a tough season.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Was a really solid win and good reward for effort against good opposition, especially on the back of being belted in the ruck. The Lions ( 3rd ) had to plenty to play for, while we didn’t. Darcy Forte ( who is an AFL ruckman ) took young Smit to the cleaners but that’s all part of the learning curve, so no shame there.
I thought our defence was particularly impressive, led by a dominant Dean and well backed up by Ryan, McInnes and Markov.
MacRae and Allan were everywhere, particularly at stoppages and together they nullified the Lions dominance in the ruck. Just looked like we played more of a mark and chip game style today and it suited us because we made less mistakes by being exposed to less pressure. Up front, Richards was our best forward and particularly busy. Worth noting, the in form DiMattia didn’t play today and was likely the carry over player for the seniors later in the day.
I tend to give more credit to players who perform well against good opposition, particularly in the VFL where there is so much difference in class and quality between the best and worst teams. Those who played well today should be happy with the finish to their season, as I’m sure the club would be too.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Macrae: 37 disposals, 8 clearances, 3 tackles, 7 inside 50's, 12 score involvements
Allan: 27 disposals, 6 clearances, 9 score involvements
Dean: 26 disposals, 17 marks, 11 intercepts
Richards: 25 disposals, 2 goals, 3 tackles, 2 clearances, 10 inside 50's, 8 score involvements

Sullivan: 23 disposals, 1 goal, 3 tackles
Markov: 20 disposals, 6 marks
TJ: 18 disposals, 10 marks, 4 tackles, 4 intercepts
Ryan: 17 disposals, 5 marks, 6 intercepts
Reef: 17 disposals, 6 tackles , 6 intercepts
Kreuger: 10 disposals, 1 goal, 3 marks, 3 clearances
Smit: 8 disposals, 1 goal, 12 hitouts, 3 tackles, 6 score involvements
Eyre: 7 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, 4 intercepts
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Great to see the boys finish off the season in great form. Fwiw, I reckon there's a chance Macrae, Dean and possibly Allan might be considered for promotion next week, to replace Bytel, Long and maybe Parker. Unless his exit papers have already been stamped, 'Smokin' Joe Richards should come under consideration as well.

I see that Dean took 17 marks which is an awesome achievement.
The Black and White Lion

Pies2016 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 3:27 pm I thought our defence was particularly impressive.
MacRae and Allan were everywhere, particularly at stoppages and together they nullified the Lions dominance in the ruck. Just looked like we played more of a mark and chip game style today and it suited us because we made less mistakes by being exposed to less pressure.
Yeah there were some tactical differences which was good to see. Thought it was a much better team effort also.
McInnes was good in the intercept role.
Dean strong.
Macrae was consistent 4 quarter effort.
Allen could have had an exceptional game but fumbled quite a few balls when we had the advantage. His back half of the season has shown a lot of improvement.
Others bobbed up and Richard was good in the last.

The more direct game style suited the
VFL pies. We should play that more often. We played 3 rucks with Smit first choice, Dowling second and Kreuger third go. Didn’t seem to tire Fort out but was good to have so many options after our tough ruck year.

I hope we can give Markovsky a shot in the draft / rookie list. Excited by the prospect of another Daicos family member at the pies. 2 goals like his older 2nd cousin.
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Thanks for all the updates.

Good see the boys get a win in their last game of the season and lots of happy faces in the rooms.

Match replay:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1197622/vf ... MATCH:6564

Mini match:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1197341/vf ... MATCH:6564
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome