Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Bears. All comments.

Post by David »

KenHock wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:28 am Not sure why people insist on calling the Lions bears though, surely we can we can get this right?
Because it’s funny!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

David wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:43 pm
KenHock wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:28 am Not sure why people insist on calling the Lions bears though, surely we can we can get this right?
Because it’s funny!
Apparently some people just can't bear it. :D
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

derkd wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:00 pm ^ thing is, not sure if you saw the VFL stats from the week before last, but Allan had his best game, by a mile, playing in the middle (not on the wing). Seeing as we are desperate for centre square options..why not give him a go in the guts?
Yeah I watched most of the Pies swans VFl game and think he got most of his ball away from the clearance though. Macrae and Sullivan were doing the in and under stuff. Allen pushed off it too easily.
He’s built for open space. Reckon he would be killing it at the Hawks right now.

Reef had the best clearance of the day by the Pies IMO gathering the tap breaking the pack running bounce and kick forward that resulted in a lead up mark and goal

I didn’t see the Richmond game where he was bog other than the 80m rolling goal
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Will go to the game out of habit but I really couldn’t care less about it tbh.

What will the idiot daffodils crucify us with this week??
- Side By Side -
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 4:34 pm
David wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 3:43 pm
Because it’s funny!
Apparently some people just can't bear it. :D

Ahh, the Bad News Bears, as Lou called them. ! I recall the night, Daicos senior, kicked 14 goals against them, up at Carrawa ground, Qld. He kicked them on John Gastev, a former eagle, and apologized to him, after his 14th goal. Great memory that one !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Am I delusional in still thinking we could play finals?

The probability of it happening is 1%, so I'm not losing hope yet.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
The Black and White Lion
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Marginally delusional yes but hey why not when there’s a 1%chance. Try no to raise your hopes too much until at least 10minutes after the game has finished and the AFL has had time to intervene with any post siren kicks at goal from a 50m penalty.

The AFL app clock was busted last week and had the pies winning by 2 points with the clock counting down in Extra Time. Can’t trust these clowns for much, even telling the time.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Can we make it...yes- tiniest possibility imaginable
Should we make it.... probably no point- without De Goey, Mitchell and possibly Mihocek, would be unlikely to win our way to a flag.
What should we do in the last two rounds...
** give Macrae, Richards, Allan, McInnes, Jiath and Demattea a chance to shine
** put anyone who needs an op out to get fixed.
** be creative in player positioning (continue Sidey as tagger- Neale this week, Oliver the next; take some load off Nick Daicos- play him at half back- no point flogging him in a dead-season; play Macrae in the guts- he will continue to stagnate if left in the VFL; Demattea brings good form on a wing; McInnes should be played up he ground- running is his go and he should free-range between half forward and wing as Tarrant did in his All-Australian year of 2003;

For pre-season 2025 the players should be encouraged to:
* lose the funky haircuts
* practise goal-kicking
* have Steene, Demattea, Jiath, Richards, Allan, hit the weights room
* instruct Quaynor to trim down the bulk he put in over last summer- I think he is too big now.
* develop a new game plan with more accountability when not in possession (chip kicks killed us in several games this year)

Season 2025 starts this Saturday- if you're not on board, time to leave.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Sorry to disagree with you Laddy, but while we remain a mathematical chance to make the 8 we must select our best possible team to win. Having said that, we could certainly bring in one or two newbies like DeMattia and/or Allan, but if we also load up with McInnes, TJ and Macrae we will get flogged.
Durka
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Durka »

[/quote]

Ahh, the Bad News Bears, as Lou called them. ! I recall the night, Daicos senior, kicked 14 goals against them, up at Carrawa ground, Qld. He kicked them on John Gastev, a former eagle, and apologized to him, after his 14th goal. Great memory that one !
[/quote]

@Piesnchess ,I reckon that you were so happy that you you had a celebratory drink or two that night, which is why you can't remember how many he kicked.

You've even slurred your typing of Carrara!
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

No more fade out Last quarters. ATTACK IS THE BEST DEFENCE. ATTACK.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Honestly if we don’t at least play Macrae and Reef the last two weeks in the guts then we have completely lost the plot. All the other kids are a known quantity. Allen we know is a keeper I reckon and DeMattia is a first year round 1 pick. These first two we need to either give a chance to keep or increase trade value : write them off.

Schulz also must be dropped if we r fair dinkum.

Enough of the ridiculous finals talk already. We need to start planning for the future. Our list profile must be fixed. We money balled a magnificent flag, it won’t happen twice.
Buon Giorno
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

If we want to retain the talented Richards, then we'd better play him in our starting 22, or I suspect he's outski.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Honestly our chances of playing finals are gone
So we need to look at the future along with putting some plans in place for 2025
Richard’s plays for sure
Losing Harrison isn’t ideal as I thought he was showing signs
If Allan’s VFL form has been as good as reported then bring him in in place of Bytel
I would like to see Demattia get a run just so he gets a taste before seasons end so he goes into the break wanting to work his ass off to get back in the AFL team from the get go in 2025
If McInnes has been playing down back in the VFL give him a run over next 2 weeks and see how he goes. Wouldn’t hurt moving some magnets around just to see what can happen
I’m guessing Macrae’s papers have been stamped. He goes great at VFL level but seems lost at AFL level
Also is Dean injured still ? If not bring him in he needs time at AFL level he showed some promise
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

If we’re talking experimentation, the move that should be considered is Josh Daicos into the centre square. The easiest way to improve a list is to at least start within. Assigning Jaicos a role as a centre square midfielder is an instant injection of class and quality to an ageing midfield. Play either Quaynor or Dimattia on the wing and have a look at Josh as a part solution to our midfield woes. Not sure if he has the urgency and intensity required to be in there all game but trialling him there in the off season would at least prepare him for a change of scenery.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “