Post-Match. Pies demolish Dees. Comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Post-Match. Pies demolish Dees. Comments.

Post by stui magpie »

Great to finish off a disappointing season with a win, even in bizarre circumstances like that.

I didn't know Allen had a game like that in him, hadn't seen any signs of that in the VFL when I've watched, hopefully the pennies dropped for him that he belongs at that level and that's just the start. Chain him to Naicos on the track and IQ in the gym over pre season and watch out next year.

Parker also, looked really promising.

Roll on 2025, a lot to look forward to, in the mean time it's a lovely sunny spring morning, when does the Cricket start?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Suck it toffs, beating them and scum twice were the highlights of the season. 2024 went off the rails when Murphy got concussed in the granny and when McStay did his acl in preseason it was over we just didn't realise it yet.
Luke Hodge is a flog and Kosi is a thug with a bad record, have fun sitting on the sidelines at the beginning of 2025 you boutso cleftie!
Scumps finished our season against the pink ducks
Fingers crossed for Nick in the brownlow but Bont has it sowed up I fear.
Ed Allan is a player and promising signs for Parker.
Great season by Cameron, well done
Reload for 2025 and time to barrack for scum losing, I can't believe I'm saying it but go aints
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

A nice win to finish off the season. However Melbourne were cooked and not putting in too hard. Our youngsters all looked good but I doubt they will experience such a low pressure game for a long time. I hope we are seeing a lot more of them next year.

I hope Darcy is okay. Pickett should get 3-4 weeks for that high hit. I thought it was disgraceful the way the commentators were trying to minimize the incident including Buckley.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

I agree with everything you say but don't quite agree with your statement that we lack depth. The amount of injuries suffered during the year, especially in the forward area of the ground, would have tested any team.

We played 9 debutantes throughout the year which is a very good sign. Allen and Parker were excellent last night. Have only seen Jiath in one game and Harry hasn't debuted yet. Still have great faith in Dean, he was player of the year in the VFL and has had a lot of injuries, but with another pre-season, I am very hopeful he will hold down a senior spot. Reef is another, playing at half-back who should be persevered with there. If they decide to keep him.

Smit is another who hasn't debuted yet and looks very promising.

So I am not too concerned with our depth, yes the older players are getting older, but they are more than holding their spot.

Let's see what trade and draft time brings up.
Jatsad - That is all
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Just quietly, there haven't been too many occasions oveer the last 132 or so years where Collingwood has led for 148 and a bit minutes of the game. That's what you call owning the opposition.
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

I wouldnt read too much into the form of the kids in this game. They got hardly any pressure from Melbourne.. well not AFL level standard pressure.
Playing on the G infront of a crowd and playing in the Pies system is the experience they will have received in this game.

P.S surely Pickett gets weeks for that hit "if you choose to bump you take the risk"
the flogs on fox footy where talking about "nothing in it" and the concussion would be the only reason.... and old mate collingwood hater Jordan Lewis talking about Darcy contributing to it... is he not allowed to pick the ball up anymore? if he goes down sliding on his knees or bending over at the hips... his head would STILL be at the same height for sniper Pickett to take his head off.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Very happy with the win. But Melbourne were truly awful. The one positive coming out of the match was the Daicos brothers getting 2 and 3 votes respectively in the Brownlow. Hope it can push Nick over the line. He deserves it.

Our kicking for goal still leaves a lot to be desired. But great signs from the young kids. Allan was terrific, but they all chipped in.

But let's not get carried away the Dees (Max Gawn and Salem aside) weren't even trying and had half their best side out.

The great tragedy of this season is I truly believe we could have found a spark in the finals. All the "what ifs". What if we won both those draws which in the end killed our season? Thanks to that bald headed prick who penalised us by pulling a free out of his rear end. We will not forget you maggot bastard.

Most of all, had we beaten Sydney instead of totally collapsing in 20 minutes of footy, we'd have won 5 straight and been sitting in the eight today and still with a real chance.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

Neither team playing for anything but I think the cultural difference between them and us showed. They didn’t want to be there but felt like we wanted to finish the season with some dignity.

The competition is very close and we could have scraped into a finals run where probably any of the 8 have shown enough this year to suggest they could win it.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

stoliboy wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 5:50 am So we finish the year 9th or 10th on 52 points.

Fly made a comment in his press conference about how they were targeting 14 wins to play finals but that 13 wins is usually enough (we had 12 wins + 2 draws).

I went back and had a look at the AFL Ladders back to 1990.

13 wins would have made finals every single year from 1990-2023. 2022 is the first year for a 23 game season though.

Still we weren’t good enough. But we’ll be back next year!
All the times a team has won 13 or more games, but hasn't qualified for finals.

Essendon (1963) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1964) = 13 wins, 5 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1966) = 13 wins, 1 draw, 4 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Richmond (1968) = 14 wins, 6 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1969) = 13 wins, 7 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Carlton (1971) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 5th) - Final 4 system
Hawthorn (1972) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1977) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
South Melbourne (1980) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Hawthorn (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 6th) - Final 5 system
Richmond (1981) = 13 wins, 9 losses (finished 7th) - Final 5 system
Carlton (1992) = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 7th) - Final 6 system
Essendon (2013)** = 14 wins, 8 losses (finished 9th) - Final 8 system - KICKED OUT OF THE FINALS
Collingwood (2024) = 12 wins, 2 draws, 9 losses (finished 9th or 10th) - Final 8 system

Apart from Essendon due to extenuating circumstances, it's never happened in the final 8 era.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Thanks for the year Pies. Some great moments to reflect on, hopefully some individual honours with MOTY, prizes and a medal. Some nice cameos and good signs from the younger players. Some cracking team play defensive and offensive, some fabulous marks and goals.

Shame we couldn't own those moments for longer against the Saints second half, on Anzac Day, the Freo game, Bulldogs last quarter, Gold Coast 2nd and 3rd quarters, first quarter of the Cats game, any of the second Essendon game and the last quarter against Sydney at the SCG. Those were the moments where we dropped off and despite Fly's words, these felt like more than 1 or 2% at the time. We were in those 8 games otherwise with a chance to win at 3/4 time but just couldn't get it done. I hope we can rest, regroup, recruit and grow into a fitter and better team in 2025.

My highlights for the year have been Darcy Cameron, Jamie's MOTY contender, Naicos cameos including that snap against Carlton, Jaicos field kicks, the come back and runaway against Port, Bobby Hill's MOTY contender, SP400, WHE's can be or do anything anywhere attitude, Beating the Blues Twice, Parker's cameos without any preseason, Richards' debut, Allen's 80m rolling VFL goal, Reef's intercept marking in the last VFL game and Maynard being Maynard chasing, tackling, smothering, intercepting, leaping whatever is needed and then doing it again
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

It’s interesting that the Dees fans put more emotion into one of our players than their whole team combined.

Thanks for confirming how many possessions Bruz was racking up, you uninformed wankers.
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Haff wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 10:57 pm Personally I’m glad that’s over. We’re better than not playing finals. No excuses for mine but we’ll be ok for next season then a long time in the wilderness as well bottom out right when Tassie come in. Ah well. Guess we just hope we can snag another one next season.

Ed Allen plays in the best 23 please!

Rubbish, we wont bottom out in the wilderness for a long time, post next season, not under this coach Fly, and our Board that wont happen. ! We are still very much a destination club, we have promising kids, like Allen, Richards, Harrison, to replace several retirements, and our draft picks at end of next year will be far better than this yrs coming up. Collingwood is never down for long, never has been, we always bounce back. Im confident about our future.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thesoretoothsayer
Been liked: 14 times

Post by thesoretoothsayer »

Schultz last week was a fluke.
I've been a defender of Sarge's because of all the unglamorous team things he does off the ball.
But yeah, he stunk it up last night.
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

A 0-3 start, lousy fixture, (note cats easy pesy match today, worst team to ever finish top 4), mass injuries, unending, bit of a flag hangover, loss of form to key players, Moore etc, and poor umpiring, aka the Freo free kick in the goal square, all conspired to a ordinary season. Least we finished flying, better side over Swans for 3 Qtrs, beat Blues, Lions, Deees, we got our DNA back, tho tad too late. Best positive for me, was beating Lions, Blues, Deees, twice each, we never even did that last season, our Premiership year ! Onward and Upward. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I get people saying Melbourne had Petracca Oliver May Lever out
We had Mitchell JDG McStay Checkers out as well so really injuries can’t be used as a excuse
They had nothing to play for ? Rubbish how about pride ? How about respect for the jersey ? How about respect for your supporter base (it was there how game) ? How about personal pride ?
We weren’t a realistic chance of playing finals really
But we showed up and played
That says more about the culture and ethos of the players
The kids won’t always get it that easy I agree but the confidence it gives Allan in particular is vital to his growth
He showed enough to think he should be in our best 22 next season taking midfield minutes from Pendles (he can play other roles) and maybe using his size and determination to do the run with role Sidey has played the last few weeks.
I remember pies2016 saying somewhere ages ago we drafted him on the back of barely playing in his draft year due to injury. So if he can have a big preseason and work hard and follow the example of the veterans and work ethic of Nick D then he will be better prepared for 2025.
I hope we keep Richard’s I think he’s got something to offer as well