Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

All of the above and never lost faith in him through all the injuries he had.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I must confess I had serious doubts he would make it, but he's been fantastic since he broke into the senior team this year.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

11 in a row for Murphy since we came back into the team.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

RudeBoy wrote:He has been a big reason for our improvement this year, particularly after losing Roughead. What he lacks in height and strength against bigger forwards, he makes up for with courage, speed, mobility and aerial ability. Overall, we are a better structured defensive unit with him in it than we were without him.
Still scratching my head over the number of 'Best 22's' that exclude Murphy, yet place a largely un-seen, and untried Frampton ahead of him, let alone Dean.
Seriously, how many have seen any body of footage of Frampton or Dean to form an opinion? It's escaped me to date apart from a few grabs. Yet many seemingly have placed him in the side on physical attributes alone.
I understand our requirement for that type of player, and I'll happily back our recruiting team to have found another Roughead or Dunn, but those two came with 10 seasons of experience. If the debacle of Adelaide over recent seasons has seen him go under the radar, all well and good, but it seems a fair bit of hubris has been attached, all before he's played one game for the Club.

While Murphy came in built like a Milk Arrowroot, he has filled out that frame to be carrying a reported 97kg, and he plays with Collingwood courage in his DNA. (I don't know when all the players physical stats are updated on the CFC site, but I won't hold my breath)
I'd like to get the internal Club view of Murphy, Hine's optimism may be about to come home to roost ~
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dr ... cdde7c1f73

Over 2022, Murphy was finally able to string a body of games together, missing one since Round 10, with 16 games for the season. His form earned selection in the AAU22 squad, and if he'd have been on the park at the start of the season surely would have secured AAU22 representation.
Go well in '23 Murph, I see a long career ahead, but don't hang him out to dry in the interim, while he hones his craft.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

LaurieHolden wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:He has been a big reason for our improvement this year, particularly after losing Roughead. What he lacks in height and strength against bigger forwards, he makes up for with courage, speed, mobility and aerial ability. Overall, we are a better structured defensive unit with him in it than we were without him.
Still scratching my head over the number of 'Best 22's' that exclude Murphy, yet place a largely un-seen, and untried Frampton ahead of him, let alone Dean.
Seriously, how many have seen any body of footage of Frampton to form an opinion? It's escaped me to date apart from a few grabs. Yet many seemingly have placed him in the side on physical attributes alone.
I understand our requirement for that type of player, and I'll happily back our recruiting team to have found another Roughead or Dunn, but those two came with 10 seasons of experience. If the debacle of Adelaide over recent seasons has seen him go under the radar, all well and good, but it seems a fair bit of hubris has been attached, all before he's played one game for the Club.

While Murphy came in built like a Milk Arrowroot, he has filled out that frame to be carrying a reported 97kg, and he plays with Collingwood courage in his DNA. (I don't know when all the players physical stats are updated on the CFC site, but I won't hold my breath)
I'd like to get the internal Club view of Murphy, Hine's optimism may be about to come home to roost ~
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dr ... cdde7c1f73

Over 2022, Murphy was finally able to string a body of games together, missing one since Round 10, with 16 games for the season. His form earned selection in the AAU22 squad, and if he'd have been on the park at the start of the season surely would have secured AAU22 representation.
Go well in '23 Murph, I see a long career ahead, but don't hang him out to dry in the interim, while he hones his craft.
Whilst I am a fan of the theory to get a bigger key defender into the team to allow Darcy Moore to play further up the ground and become a more attacking option out of defense, I too am a huge fan of Nathan Murphy. Unfortunately I don't think he has the height to be a long term option as a Key Defender, although he has developed his body to be strong enough to battle with taller opponents. Hence, I think Murphy will eventually be a replacement for Jeremy Howe in that intercepting defender roll. So for this year there will be a lot of competition for the defensive rolls so the likes of Frampton and Dean will need to be playing really well if they are to push the likes of Murphy and Howe out of the team. Other depth players such as Trey Ruscoe, Will Kelly, Jacob Ryan and Arlo Draper will be also pushing for spots in the defensive squad.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Framptons best in 2022 was very good but the knock is, his consistency as an AFL footballer is all over the place.
At one point early in 2022, he received three Brownlow votes against the Dogs ( ? ) for using the ball very well about 26 times out of defence and yet a month later, he was dropped from the Crows seniors.
On exposed form, you could argue Framptons best is better than Murphy but Murphy played his roll with much more sustained success and consistency. Inconsistent players are a coaches kryptonite.
If I’m Murphy, I’m not too worried about spending my time “ kicking the dew “. Howe is much closer to the end than the beginning and injuries are always around the corner. If Murphy fronts up in career best shape, his position in the firsts will look after itself. Anything less and there will always be someone who will happily slot into his spot from last year.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
npalm
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by npalm »

Pies2016 wrote:Framptons best in 2022 was very good but the knock is, his consistency as an AFL footballer is all over the place.
If he was still young (under 22 say) you could put the inconsistency down to his inexperience but he's 26 now so it's a bit of a worry. Still a new club and a new coach may be all that he needs to come good.
Side by side.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Pies2016 wrote:Framptons best in 2022 was very good but the knock is, his consistency as an AFL footballer is all over the place.
At one point early in 2022, he received three Brownlow votes against the Dogs ( ? ) for using the ball very well about 26 times out of defence and yet a month later, he was dropped from the Crows seniors.
On exposed form, you could argue Framptons best is better than Murphy but Murphy played his roll with much more sustained success and consistency. Inconsistent players are a coaches kryptonite.
If I’m Murphy, I’m not too worried about spending my time “ kicking the dew “. Howe is much closer to the end than the beginning and injuries are always around the corner. If Murphy fronts up in career best shape, his position in the firsts will look after itself. Anything less and there will always be someone who will happily slot into his spot from last year.
Craw not craw! And role not roll.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

I think that Murphy is a certainty to retain his role in the side.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Since his debut, Muprh is going at a 65.00% w/l ratio.

After an injury interupted debut, the problem became where to play a 192cm, 97kg utility.
All indications are though he's established himself as a key cog in our backline, filling the vacated role left by Jeremy Howe, as the 3rd tall.

In what has developed as an unlikely defensive triumvirate of Moore, Frampton and Murphy, could well form a premiership defensive trio of talls.

Add in Isaac "I don't lose 1 on 1 contests" Quaynor, Bulls on Parade Maynard and a blend of 35Daicos, a debutant backman called Pendlebury and dasher Noble, all of a sudden we've got the makings of a core defensive unit that's starting to limit sides scoring capcity, having conceded 100 points only twice this season.

Back to Murphy, one of his distingusing traits, and often detrimental to his own physical wellbeing, has been his courage.
He's top 15 in the competition for 1%ers. (4 of those backman named earlier are in the top 50)
The beauty of that is you know what he's going to give us game in, game out.

Might he be a smoky for the AA squad? If he keeps his current form, he'll certainly be under consideration.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Murphy has been fined $1500, which can be reduced to $1000 with an early guilty plea.
I was appalled at what he did. I agree 100% with fining him.

MATCH REVIEW: Murphy cited for 'dacking' Cadman
https://www.afl.com.au/news/927403/matc ... ing-cadman
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

That’s an expensive dacking, he clearly forgot he wasn’t in the change rooms with his teammates.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Nathan Murphy Watch

Post by inxs88 »

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp- ... han-murphy

We love Nathan's courage, marking and endeavour and naturally he is best 22. However, with Frampton and Howe out, we saw Nathan exposed against Larkey yesterday who seems to love playing against the Pies. For balance, Nathan quelled Harry McKay the week before albeit he is at an all time low in confidence.

As the stats indicate, Nathan is a low possession backman, with middling pace and not a penetrating kick and is best served when we have Howe/Frampton available however I hope he can emulate what Quaynor has done this year and increase his possession game and impact a tad more often.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by piffdog »

Full disclosure, I haven’t been able to watch a replay yet, but I thought Murphy has played at his best while Howe and Frampton have not been playing.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...