Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Cam wrote:Let's just reserve the Grundy vitriol until after we find out who is having operations etc

My take on him, is hes exhausted, and nearly worn out, not once did he get a managed break during this whole covid virus season. not once. Cut him some slack, for Chrissakes. :?
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

doriswilgus wrote:Put this game in the dust bin.Throw it out and forget about it.Time to reload ,regroup and reset for next week.
Absolutely disagree. Should not forget about it, We need to understand why it happened.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Re Grundy. He looks fat and has done all season. Unfit. Sloppy. Fat. I'm fat shaming him.
Buon Giorno
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Ed got up and did an interview post game

Expect Nathan to do one too
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

That sucked!!!
Hopefully people have calmed down enough to have some rational discussions.

Get rid of Beams
Grundy is injured and has been most of the season
We need a real KPF
What has Sier ever done to make him the messiah?
We need a second inside mid Wills Sier not good enough
JT goodbye
AFL to finalise TPP and lists to go forward
Sign Moore
Sign JDG
Greenwood is getting too slow let go
Dunn Varcoe Reid gone thank you for the service
A VLF/seconds side needed next year **** off netball etc to pay for it
Go to the draft not trade for average players
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

In terms of a coach, forget Ross Lyon or any other tried coach. Target Sam Mitchell for 2022 when he’s ready - steal him from Hawthorn. He’s not necessarily likeable, he’s uncompromising, Has no history with Collingwood, he knows success and is a student of the game. This theory has worked for us before.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

neil wrote: What has Sier ever done to make him the messiah?
Sier is 22 years old.
He was picked as a project player.
Most of this year our mids (inside mids in particular) were getting thrashed.

Most of this year Sier was injured or not picked.
He is worth keeping.
Wills is 25 and is not good enough.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

According to JC Hartley we were beaten in disposals by 158. (358-200)
This must be a world record.
Beyond belief that stat.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

We looked fatigued and complacent
They looked fresh and committed

Sitting in the stands last night, early on I said to my mate we were playing like there had been a death in the club. From the opening few minutes the Cats led us to the contest and looked sharp.
The extra 3 days break the Cats had after the matches last week had to have an impact, and it showed.

That was however a performance that I have never seen a Collingwood side deliver. It lacked heart. Hard to reconcile against last week.
Second to the contest, playing behind their man, lack of talk, it was awful.

I now know what Cats supporters felt like during the 2010 PF after we poured on 13 first half goals.
Then again, have we forgotten 2009. We rolled Adelaide on the road in a final then the Cats thumped us by 73 points the following week. Remember what happened the following year?...

I've been on record, WHE and Thomas need to be moved on. They are not part of a team that can take us the next step.

Grundy limped through the second half of the season, he is injured, nothing surer. I'll judge him on next season, he's given us enough to date to suggest his recent form is an abberation.

Treloar has to go on a wing. He is neither a Centre or a Ruck-Rover. He and Daicos should be our link players.
Sidebotton on a half forward.
JDG as a ruck-rover.

Give us a new midfield coach.
Get a ruck consultant.

This shouldn't be up for debate.

One thing I will say, Geelong were VERY good. It was clinical they was they took us apart.

Anyway,
https://www.cricket.com.au/fixtures
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

^^^ Well said Laurie. I had a feeling after the WC win that we’d struggle against the Cats, but even I was shocked at how easily some players rolled over and how quickly the flogging began. I’ll have to watch the game again to see who those players were that just rolled over in the second qtr (I admit I threw my water bottle, went for a quick walk, did other things around the house, and didn’t watch the last quarter, seriously it was torture and my brain couldn’t comprehend what was happening). Whoever they are, they’re up for trade.

WHE, I’ve defended him all year, but when he shirked a marking contest and allowed a Cat to easily mark in front of him, a marking contest that’s a 5/10 on the hardness scale, that’s when I decided he can go, that was woeful. Compare to Cox, game is lost but he still sprinted to make a marking contest (a 9/10 for hardness) and got crunched. THAT is the attitude we need, not the “oh no, I might get a bruise, were five goals down so why bother?” I saw from WHE
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

masoncox wrote:
neil wrote: What has Sier ever done to make him the messiah?
Sier is 22 years old.
He was picked as a project player.
Most of this year our mids (inside mids in particular) were getting thrashed.

Most of this year Sier was injured or not picked.
He is worth keeping.
Wills is 25 and is not good enough.
I get your love for Sier but we haven’t even had a VFL season to draw a form line from. How can any of us from two states away ( or wherever ) jump up and down about player selections when we have no idea of his form, rehabbing or build up. We haven’t seen him for two months, he could be fat as a house after a leg injury.
We simply didn’t get our hands on the ball and that even includes the quality of Pendles, Daicos, Adams, Elliot and Treloar. If those guys can’t get near it, I would seriously doubt that Sier would have made any impression on the night. Sidebottom and Howe playing wouldn’t have changed anything last night, let alone a fringe mid with some potential.
Cruisinwithdids

Post by Cruisinwithdids »

If Grundy is exhausted, injured or mentally impacted by hubbing, then the responsibility for that is on the coaching staff. He was never rested & every ruckman he came up against in big games was. Even if he’s not carrying a specific injury I still would not be jumping on him based on form.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

All the player bashing on here...not good...
Just about all players displayed a lack of effort at some stage in the game last night: e.g. Quaynor ran hard to chase a cat and then halted at the last second allowing the cat to release the kick; no desperate lunging tackle or attempted smother...so are we going to call for Quaynor to be cut on the back of that? No, and neither should we for other players who always seem to be in the gun...
Grundy: cut him some slack; he is a true warrior who has a proven record of delivery in big games (albeit not this year, except rd 1); he will rebound
WHE: disappointing but has huge upside. Wouldn't be contemplating cutting him this year
Mayne: just what did he do wrong this year? Not much by my reckoning..sure he's not the fastest mover of the ball, but he does contest (time and time again)
JT: played much better later in the year, and he may now be a fringe player (but a pretty good fringe player to have imho)
Cox: park him forward and keep him there; it's not his fault if the ball doesn't reach him
Roughead: disappointing year and he too had hub problems (it was indicated early on in the season that he may cut short his time in the hub for personal reasons, but he was obviously committed enough to the team to stay, but which no doubt caused him personal anguish); he works well with Howe in the team, so will expect a lift when Howe returns

In reality, there's going to be enough retirements and delistings without having to "throw the baby out with the bathwater". There will be enough freed up list spots to obtain new players (trade or draft) without tossing out players who are still of value for the team, even if only to have as ready made reserves - remember 2010 we had so many of these (Medhurst, Lockyer, OBree, Fraser etc.) which created competition for spots - so we do still need those players who may seem replaceable but in reality are needed for depth.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

slangman wrote:That was embarrassing.
Unfortunately last week was the exception to what has been an underwhelming effort by the team.
This list and coaching panel need an overhaul because it’s shortcomings were laid bare for everyone to see tonight.
Stephenson is an absolute gun AFL player so the fact that he has fallen off the cliff with confidence and form is a blight in the coaching staff. He came in as a raw 18 yo and was an excitement machine until the coaches began to mould him into a spiritless and sad looking figure.
Imagine what Fagan would do with a player like Stevo!!!
There are a few holes in the team and coaching panel that I doubt the club has the balls to change.
Don’t be fooled by last weeks win. Yes it was an absolutely fantastic backs against the wall victory but we have been ordinary far more than not this year.
With the rumoured salary cap issues I really do wonder WTF is going on at the club. How can a club that hasn’t won a premiership and lost a PF last year in such a dire salary cap situation??

The post-mortem will no doubt be a typical Collingwood romanticising love feat that doesn’t address the glaring issues that are plaguing not just the team but the whole club.

Interesting off season coming up....and could Mr Peter Murphy please come forward.
Cough Cough, Fasolo.....its been happening for years, and watch the fan base turn on Stevo like they did the Prince of Perth
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:.
Stephenson is an absolute gun AFL player so the fact that he has fallen off the cliff with confidence and form is a blight in the coaching staff. He came in as a raw 18 yo and was an excitement machine until the coaches began to mould him into a spiritless and sad looking figure.
Stephenson came in as a raw 18 yo and was an excitement machine until his imbecile betting scandal (his fault) and glandular fever (no one’s fault) began to mould him into a spiritless and sad looking figure.