Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Graham Wright - General Manager of Football

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Interesting comments from the president that Wright would have to accept the changes in the football department (Bolton and Leppa taking over a lot of the duties)
Wright is widely regarded as one of the best football administrators going around.
He got our cap back in line after the Grundy debacle
He was brought in because he makes decisions in the best long term interests of the club not individuals
It’s highly unlikely he will return in a diminished role and why should he
But it does make you wonder if Bolton and Leppa are so heavily involved in other aspects of the footy department how does this impact there main roles as assistant coaches ?
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Swoop Luke, a reliable source, is saying Wright has quit.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:40 am Swoop Luke, a reliable source, is saying Wright has quit.
Would make sense
We haven’t heard boo from inside the club since his return
Couple that with the apparent contract offers to veterans and the situation would be untenable for Wright
Hope the club has a plan B because IMO the status quo we are using right now isn’t working
We aren’t landing any free agents (apparently we’ve missed Smith) we missed McCluggage and we aren’t linked too anyone of substance it seems
I sincerely hope we are talking to Peatlings management he fits our needs well midfield needs at least there’s other holes we need filling
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Mitch Cleary has also tweeted, would expect the club to make an announcement soon. No real surprise.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

See a bit with Caro on Wright and the accompanying photo had Wright and Leppa together in it
Wright/ Leppa alliance across the Bass Straight
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

It is not uncommon for an employee to take extended leave ie. LSL and decide not to return.

It's actually how I got my current job. Previous incumbent went on LSL for 3 months to have a break and decide what they wanted to do - which turned out to be retiring to Mornington to be closer to grandkids.

Wright may not be retiring but time away has given him a chance to reassess what he wants to do.
He was brought to the club to do a job - one that required a lot of time, focus & effort - and which got us a premiership.
If he leaves so be it. Time to look for someone new.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

asshole, but if he gets a job in the AFL maybe he could fix some of the crap going on.

thanks for the flag, next one please, who is standing up?
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Imagine if we lose Wright, Leppa, and Kelly in the space of a year...If that were to happen perhaps try to bring Michael Christian back?
Jezza
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

It's a shame it only lasted three years. Had a great impact and was a big reason for last year's success so for that he has my gratitude.

In hindsight, Browne and the board would have been better off accepting his resignation rather than letting this play out for another 12 months.

I suspect Wright will either work for the AFL or be involved in the new Tasmanian team.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Woods

Post by Woods »

Now that finals are but a dream, it might not be the only news of departures from the club this week. There will be some hard talking going on inside the four walls regarding some of the players in the 30+ age group. A key issue weighing on the mind of some of the 30+ players will the opportunity to play a farewell game this Friday night in front of the faithful and with family and friends present (any sightings of Cox’s parents flying in?). The alternative is to fade away without the fanfare they deserve.

I also suspect that Pendlebury’s recent re-signing might just be PR optics. It’s a better look for him and the club if Pendlebury announces his retirement this week with a contract in hand. That’s why the club offered it to him? Maybe. Would look much darker if, after all of this year’s celebrations of his personal milestones, he was given the flick in the off-season.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Wright gone.

Hopefully that isn’t our biggest disaster this year (like that’s already happened missing out on finals) but would seem so right now.

Best wishes Graeme. He didn’t get what he wanted this year at the pies. Time will tell if the President’s made the right call but football history will tell you otherwise.

If we have the full suite of veterans for 2025 and then a rolling retirement parade, we could be in trouble for some time without some dramatic changes in drafting, trades and FAs.

I’d say we are behind every other team in the AFL at the moment however and with Tassie on the horizon.

We missed the finals. The Vets struggled with form injury motivation and method. If we retain all the vets as it seems, they will need a significant lift next year to give us a chance.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
SLORT
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Woods wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:24 am Now that finals are but a dream, it might not be the only news of departures from the club this week. There will be some hard talking going on inside the four walls regarding some of the players in the 30+ age group. A key issue weighing on the mind of some of the 30+ players will the opportunity to play a farewell game this Friday night in front of the faithful and with family and friends present (any sightings of Cox’s parents flying in?). The alternative is to fade away without the fanfare they deserve.
And who is actually personally responsible for the re-signings? Leppa who's also rumored to be looking around? Collingwood / Browne needs to pull their finger out today and make a genuine all-hands on deck kind of announcement. I'm a bit worried at the moment. These types of situations can quickly turn you into Richmond...
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Dark Beanie wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 9:51 am It is not uncommon for an employee to take extended leave ie. LSL and decide not to return.

It's actually how I got my current job. Previous incumbent went on LSL for 3 months to have a break and decide what they wanted to do - which turned out to be retiring to Mornington to be closer to grandkids.

Wright may not be retiring but time away has given him a chance to reassess what he wants to do.
He was brought to the club to do a job - one that required a lot of time, focus & effort - and which got us a premiership.
If he leaves so be it. Time to look for someone new.
Agreed. Its not unusual for an employee to take LSL and not return. I see it alot in my workplace too.
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I for one would never ever call the man any disparaging names.

We owe him nothing but gratitude. Sorted the club out after the 'garbage pit' that Eddie and co left the club.

You know, maybe he wants to head home to Tasmania and get into a new role. Best of luck to him

To the power that be at Collingwood, this is why you earn the big dollars, get to work find the replacement(s) needed. Can't stuff this up, as important as the 'star' players is having a gun list boss. This is a big one.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
stoliboy
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

Collingwood FC Update – Graham Wright

The Collingwood Football Club advises Executive General Manager of Football Graham Wright will not be returning to Collingwood following his sabbatical in the US and Europe, instead deciding to explore new opportunities.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... ham-wright
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/