Football media (press / radio / commentators et al)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Agree. The commentators in English football are vastly superior compared to what we dish up down under.

The typical formula over there is one play-by-play commentator and one special comments. Both individuals allow the game to speak for itself without them making it about themselves.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35
Has liked: 160 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

For those who have watched the full replay, did BT say that Krueger had not kicked a goal at AFL level before the KBH game?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by piffdog »

Presti35 wrote:For those who have watched the full replay, did BT say that Krueger had not kicked a goal at AFL level before the KBH game?
Yes several times...

He also called Kreuger Frampton and vice versa on about 4 occasions.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Well that's embarrassing for him. :oops:

You shouldn't have commentators giving our false facts. We shouldnt have to listen to commentators getting names wrong, fair enough with one or two mistakes, but if its happening over and over, then its showing a lack of preperation and knowledge. And we shouldn't have to listen to bias opinions either.

The Friday night team have to go. Every platform you read is calling for it. Hodge, Richo, BT... Just get rid of them. And dont give someone a job just because they have a name.

The WA team is even worse. Will Schofield is a bloody disgraceful commentator. Even worse than when Ellis was working.

Everyone says it, why dont they clean it up? It's very stale.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

^^

Because there is a dearth of better options. However, Alastair Nicholson (who sounds remarkably like Huddo), although a relative newcomer, is 7’s best atm I reckon. I’d give him the prime time gig over BT.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

What about Jason Bennett? Should he get a chance to call the Friday night games?
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ He would be better than BT and JB.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
MGR

Post by MGR »

Those commercial commentators(apart from Bennett and Nicholson) are terrible, it’s the ‘pats on the back’ to each other that are so not needed. Plus how boring and predictable is Hodge. Just a pity that the ABC has not got the TV coverage.
"We go around with the British flag in the corner of our flag. Great states do not do these things" ... former Prime Minister Paul Keating.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Just read the comments in this thread and agree with most of them.

English Premier League commentary and their Test Cricket broadcasts are in the stratosphere of commentary excellence whilst Australian commentators (in the majority) are fairly mediocre...

For all the bile tipped on Eddie Maguire, he was a) exciting, b) accurate and c)interesting. Compare that to the call from BT last week where he named Krueger as 'Frampton' on no less than six occasions...

I cannot have Hodge commentating on any Collingwood game- he claims not to be biased against the 'Pies, but his words betray his utter hatred for us.

I know Tim Lane wore his Carlton heart on his sleeve, but he remains the best caller. Gerard Whately is informed like McAvaney used to be, but he is great to listen to. Dwayne Russell often seems to 'barrack' against the 'Pies, but his enthusiasm for the way we play is evident in his calls.

As for 'Special Comments', Wayne Carey was excellent, but we will probably not hear him on air again. Brereton has great moments, but sometimes tries to be too left-field and confuses listeners with babble (or is it just me??)

I have very fond (Old) memories of the ABC commentary team when it was Tim Lane (Carlton) and Peter Booth (Collingwood) with Special Comments from 'Crackers' Keenan who played for North and Melbourne and Essendon back in the day, but he also loved the 'Pies because he was Monkey's Ruck Coach in the late 80's and early 90's.

The list I don't rate include: Kelly Underwood, Hodge, Quartermaine, and BT.

Add to that list any commentator who regales his or her audience with tales of their 'glorious' past as a player to 'fill-in-the-gaps' of time during a match.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 145 times

Professionals vs Personailities

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Damien wrote:Brian Taylor still regularly MC’s Collingwood events and deep down is probably a Collingwood man, but as a commentator he should be impartial. I think in his efforts to show impartiality, he has over-corrected. By a LONG way. He now mostly comes across as anti-Collingwood. At the end of the day he’s actually just not a very good commentator. Bruce and Dennis on Friday nights were the gold standard. I never found either of them to be anti-Pies. I miss them.
Spot on Damien. Agree totally. BT can be annoying at times but deep down there’s still a little bit of black and white in his veins…and he’s usually good for some light relief to make fun of his comments during the call.

Richo used to be relatively harmless and somewhat entertaining with most of his comments just a reverberation of other commentary around him but lately (started shortly after Tigs premiership run) he’s become much more of a whingey b!tch and increasingly nastier.

Hard to listen to dawks duo Hodge and Lewis are Pies hating nasty little snipers to the core…expressly evident most recently with their ‘unsociable’ opinions regarding Petracca’s injury and their low class suggestions the boys should have made every tackle on Petracca to the ribs, especially in one instance when his back was turned and I think it was Bruz who could’ve smashed him but didn’t….absolute hypocrisy.

For mine however the worst by far, and I mean absolutely atrocious, is that weasel of a man James Brayshaw. His moronic and sublime biased calls of our games utterly grates my carrot. His phoney excitement at our general play throughout the game and acknowledgment of success is spew worthy at best…the joy in his voice when we’re not at our best or the momentum turns against us is palpable.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

The barracking today was another level.
How flat were they when the pies won?
I hate Healy. Don’t respect his opinion at all. I don’t think he even watches games, just pops up with some bs opinion when his pay check clears.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

ABC radio were pretty flat too, ex Bluescum Captain Murphy, real disappointed, typical ex Scum, he can go %$^ himself now. LOL.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Honestly today they acted like supporters with their barracking it was embarrassing!
Cheers big ears
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Lou Richards was a very good tv commentator.

Commetti was next level.

There are a few good ones now, those who are focused on the game and informing the public instead of indulging in inane insider jokes which are unfunny.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!