What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

A couple of weeks ago I hit a dead end in trying to complete the Provisional Patent Application form for the device I invented to help people who've fallen over get back on their feet, so I caved and engaged a Patent Attorney.

Had a chat, sent him the form I'd tried to fill in and I must have done a reasonable job because he quoted haf the normal price for doing one from scratch (which is still a hefty hit to the wallet). They sent me the revised draft on Friday, I reviewed it over the weekend and gave them the all clear to go ahead. They clearly had someone review the list of existing patents as they quoted 2 others in the application which can perform a similar function but require electricity, mine actually is unique. So I got an email back today to say they've lodged the application.

A Provisional Patent Application provides a protection date. Once granted I have 12 months to research with manufacturers to see if it's viable to produce and in that time no one else can steal my idea provided I follow through with the full patent. If It's viable (and I think there's a market there) I'll do the full patent (another wallet ouchie) then look to licence it to a manufacturer and hopefully get some cash coming in for the next 20 years.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

oh wow, good for you! hope it come through, a bunch of us here will need them (hopefully not too) soon!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

I got Mollys ashes back today, now maybe I can sleep xx

And I also got a new car finally , not the one on order, over their attitude, so last Friday I rang around and found 3 brand new cruisers I could buy that day!

I got a fully loaded graphite grey RAV 4 2wd hybrid cruiser, OMG it’s velvet to drive! Magnificent. Got the full on red bow treatment and everyone in the dealership commented on my 2023jo Collingwood plates!

Cant wait to take her out tomorrow! Cheers
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

think positive wrote:I got Mollys ashes back today, now maybe I can sleep xx

And I also got a new car finally , not the one on order, over their attitude, so last Friday I rang around and found 3 brand new cruisers I could buy that day!

I got a fully loaded graphite grey RAV 4 2wd hybrid cruiser, OMG it’s velvet to drive! Magnificent. Got the full on red bow treatment and everyone in the dealership commented on my 2023jo Collingwood plates!

Good to hear Molly is back with you where she belongs. The new car sounds like it will be a lot of fun. You'll have to do a Great Ocean Road run or similar and take some pics to give us a better sense of its style and features.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

I forgot to mention I made a trip to the place dad was born in Yorkshire, staying in Sheffield for a couple of nights so we could drive around his old area a bit (between Sheffield and Barnsley).

I took his old long-form birth certificate with the address on it on the off chance someone might be home at the exact house, and ventured to knock on the door. Luckily, it was an old local with a broad Yorkshire accent and a strong sense of history who knew quite a bit about ten-pound Poms. We had a good yarn and he let me take photos standing out the front of the house with the house number in the background.

We then came back via a town called Bakewell in the Derbyshire Dales on the edge of the Peak District National Park. Absolutely stunning, so we did some reconnaissance with a view to going back for a proper stay.

Sheffield was amazing, loaded with history and brilliant architecture. You can see they're trying damned hard to make good of the city while being starved of funds. It really could be the second jewel in the crown (the first being York itself, to which we've already been), but you can tell the south and Tories don't give a stuff about them. An extremely underrated city that could be anything.

Anyhow, not to dwell on that aspect. The trip was incredibly meaningful. I do really miss my dad; he had his flaws which I felt were my responsibility as a kid to fix. That was far too heavy a burden for a kid, but even so he is still about the only person apart from my wife to have ever understood me.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Nice about the ashes and well done on the car. Did you just call the dealer where you had the car on order and say FU, give me my deposit back or do you lose that?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:

Good to hear Molly is back with you where she belongs. The new car sounds like it will be a lot of fun. You'll have to do a Great Ocean Road run or similar and take some pics to give us a better sense of its style and features.
Cheers mate,I actually slept last night! Really glad she home xx

And I will certainly be doing that run, I took Her out today, just to the workshop and then Altona beach, just wow to drive! Lovin it so far xx
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:

Nice about the ashes and well done on the car. Did you just call the dealer where you had the car on order and say FU, give me my deposit back or do you lose that?
I returned their email asking for more deposit and copied and pasted option 2) cancel order return deposit.

Haven’t checked the account yet, ifits not there Monday I will call.

And I will be writing to head office complaints department.

People walk in and buy one, meanwhile the suckers in the queue watch the price rise, it’s bullshit
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Yeah, IIRC you were in the que before I walked in and bought mine in May 2023. Dicking you around for that long is just ridiculous. Enjoy the new car, I wouldn't describe mine as Velvet to drive, more like corduroy, but I like it. :wink:
think positive

Post by think positive »

GMH garage reunion today, at a pub in south Melbourne,

Only 1 ex turned up so that was good!
Last edited by think positive on Mon Jul 01, 2024 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

How many exes did you have at GMH? I've only ever had 1 workplace relationship and that was enough. Too messy.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

How many exes did you have at GMH? I've only ever had 1 workplace relationship and that was enough. Too messy.
I mean it was a teenage me and 40 guys!!!

1 while I worked there, I ended it a little while after he left, another when I left, ended it on his birthday a year later when he was being a complete drunken fool, I just walked out the pub and went home! The other a few months later for I think a couple of years. 2 showed up at the last one, but it was cool. No 3 I always feel guilty, he’s always so nice to me, but the timing for me was just wrong. He’s a good dude.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Hey, not judging, I could see that. Teenage you and 40 blokes, you would have been beating them off with a stick. Ehhh, so to speak. :oops: :wink:
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

Hey, not judging, I could see that. Teenage you and 40 blokes, you would have been beating them off with a stick. Ehhh, so to speak. :oops: :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
still am!!!!!

oh man talking about what it was like for apprentices in the old days, I said "we would be fricken millionaires the treatment we got"!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

So, just further to the Provisional patent I have, I've been doing some groundwork. Had a chat to to the patent attorney this morning, he's going to put me in contact with a mob he's done business with that manufactures (offshore) a bunch of different mobility assistance devices.

I also got onto the NDIS website and downloaded a .csv file of every approved supplier to the NDIS, nearly 5000 of them. Drop that into excel and with a bit of filtering, got it down to providers of mobility assistance devices, around 100. Skipped the retailers, then started going through the websites, narrowed it down to about 7 options, 3 which look good. The 3 all sell things which fit this general category and all have their own manufacturing capability.

Good days "work"

Tomorrow I need to get to work on distilling my first batch of lemon moonshine. First attempt failed, so bottled the must in a 40l demijohn, went over every seal and joint on the still with plumbers tape and yesterday ran a mix of water and vinegar through it to give it a clean and it worked. The new gas burner does the job.

So tomorrow morning I'll go buy a couple of bags of ice for the condenser and get to work.