What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: What made you happy today? Part II

Post by think positive »

Well that’s a wrap for another 4 years!

Congrats to the golden girls and the occasional man!

Bring on LA!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

think positive wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:25 am Well done Paris! I picked the best 2 weeks to get sick! Finally picking up just in time for the end!

Well done USA , well done Australia, and well done ENGLAND!
Well done England? Seriously, they compete as the UK so they have Scotland and half of Ireland padding the team out and they finish 7th in the Gold tally.

Well done to the Aussie team, particularly the women who got most of the Gold. Lots of great moments across the 2 weeks. Now to LA in 4 years. It'll be interesting to see what they do with the thousands of homeless people leading up to the games. Ship them to Frisco? I can't see the tent city along Venice beach being allowed to stay.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

woohoooo no more fuking e scooters!!!! yeah baby!!

and you can thank the thoughtless selfish reckless arsewipes who smash and crash their way down footpaths!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

This is just in Melbourne CBD, right? Not elsewhere in the city?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I thought it was broader than just the CBD, not sure of the actual boundary though, potentially whatever the council juridiction is.

People act stupid on them, they would be a good idea otherwise
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Yep, the stupid ones spoil it for the rest.

Anyway, we are getting some work done on the house.

Replacing a window and weatherboards on one side and window inserts on a bay window in our dining room.
Windows being upgraded to double glazing and they are being done by a company we used to re-do the windows at the front of the house.

A local builder (actually his apprentices) is doing the weatherboards and remedial work. Old houses through up a few curve balls. Our is almost 100 years old and when they removed the old window to re-size the opening for the new one, found that their was no beam above the window, the window was acting as the support for part of the wall.
Plus there was rot which meant replacing some stud work as well as adding a new beam.

At the moment I have 2 two teams of tradies at the house. Both have been excellent in turning up on time and the work that they are doing. Even clean up at the end of the day. The replacement if the weatherboard looks like it may done ahead of time as the materials turned up earlier than expected.

Costing a bit but you get what you pay for.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 1:06 pm I thought it was broader than just the CBD, not sure of the actual boundary though, potentially whatever the council juridiction is.

People act stupid on them, they would be a good idea otherwise
Yeah if it's only Melbourne City Council, it'd basically by the CBD, Southbank and the Botanical Gardens + Docklands, Carlton, North Melbourne and Kensington. So there's no reason to think (if I understand the news article on this correctly) that we won't still be having e-scooters on footpaths in, say, Richmond, Fitzroy, Brunswick, St Kilda or Footscray.

(I have a purely academic interest in this, apart from my vague worry about being caught up in these crackdowns as a regular non-e-scooter rider!)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I see people on the personally owned ones all the time. There's a young woman who frequently flys down the footpath past my place into and out of the park next door. She's got to be doing at least 40kmh and never wears a helmet. If a dog or kid ran out of a yard into her road it would be carnage. The kid or dog would be busted up and she'd be launched head first.
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

The private e-scooters are only legal if they have a max speed of 25kph. Shame you can buy models that go 100kph+ and some have a switch to turn the speed limiter on and off.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^
I wouldn't want to do 40kmh on one of those things, let alone 100kmh. One bump and you're fvcked.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Back to being happy.

So yesterday I drove to fkn Hallam with my fall assist device in the back of the ute. Had a meet up with the Managing Director and Operations Director, both nice blokes (for Carlton supporters)

Got some good feedback, they could see potential and a market but it didn't fit their company profile, which I sort of anticipated after doing my research. But, the MD offered to put me in contact with a Canadian bloke based in China who works in this space. Feeling a little deflated yesterday but this arvo , true to his word, got an email introducing me to this bloke with the full email trail and all the details included.

So the dream is still alive, for now. Lets see what happens.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 6:17 pm ^
I wouldn't want to do 40kmh on one of those things, let alone 100kmh. One bump and you're fvcked.
I just want to get back to our car afterthe footy without getting bowled over, I don’t give a **** if they hurt themselves, 90 are selfish arseholes
think positive

Post by think positive »

Dark Beanie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 2:38 pm Yep, the stupid ones spoil it for the rest.

Anyway, we are getting some work done on the house.

Replacing a window and weatherboards on one side and window inserts on a bay window in our dining room.
Windows being upgraded to double glazing and they are being done by a company we used to re-do the windows at the front of the house.

A local builder (actually his apprentices) is doing the weatherboards and remedial work. Old houses through up a few curve balls. Our is almost 100 years old and when they removed the old window to re-size the opening for the new one, found that their was no beam above the window, the window was acting as the support for part of the wall.
Plus there was rot which meant replacing some stud work as well as adding a new beam.

At the moment I have 2 two teams of tradies at the house. Both have been excellent in turning up on time and the work that they are doing. Even clean up at the end of the day. The replacement if the weatherboard looks like it may done ahead of time as the materials turned up earlier than expected.

Costing a bit but you get what you pay for.
Gees no lintel? Goodtradies are worth their weight in gold xx
think positive

Re:

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:27 pm I had a look at the Rav4 Hybrid online, looks like a good unit.

Self charging, great fuel economy and pickup, only about 30 miles range on battery only but it's not designed for that, looks like a good unit.
gees, it was quite a journey to get the car in the garage!!

so ive just filled up for the 2nd time, got 1650klm out of 2 tanks of fuel, thats pretty good!! almost double what my tiny VW Eos got!!