The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 97 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685856/from ... the-giants
While a move cannot yet be made official, the Giants have significant interest in Brander and appear all but certain to sign the former West Coast tall during the 12-day window.

He cannot officially become a Giant until the first window to sign delisted free agents opens next Wednesday.
"All but certain" - so, not a "done deal", yet.
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

stui magpie wrote:^

She'd be the town bike?
:lol:
carn the mighty pies!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies4shaw wrote:https://www.afl.com.au/news/685856/from-west-to-east-discarded-eagle-to-land-at-the-girl
While a move cannot yet be made official, the Giants have significant interest in Brander and appear all but certain to sign the former West Coast tall during the 12-day window.
He cannot officially become a Giant until the first window to sign delisted free agents opens next Wednesday.
"All but certain" - so, not a "done deal", yet.
In footy lingo, that means a 99% certainty.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

No matter what happens, the media will treat it as a loss for Collingwood.

Scenario 1; North (or even GWS) bid and "Collingwood made to pay". They'd be no focus on how trading the pick was somewhat the right call, albeit a close bloody call.

Scenario 2; No bid comes until after the GWS pick and "Collingwood could have had pick 2 and Daicos". That and "Daicos is not a real #1 pick", "Horne miles ahead"... With no focus on how a late bid is far better for the club.

The deal is done and we're going to get Daicos regardless.

And we found some good players in last years draft. I'm really happy with Poulter and McCreery and I'm bloody wrapt with Henry and Macrae. I'm glad we matched a bid on McInnes which came later than expected. He and McMahon (a tall forward) are the only ones we're yet to see at senior level. So it's not that bad at all. But lets wait to hear what the Nat Edwards, Leigh Montagnas and David Kings of the world have to say. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Because no matter what happens, they'll have the negative view ready to roll.

Lets wait to hear how we sold our future, "could have had", how we have no youth, how we could do with Phillips right now... And all the doomsday bullcrap they love.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Pies2016 wrote:^ ^ ^
All correct points about the Kangas decision to pick J H F first. The other aspect involved in picking J H F first, is the likely financial gains that come with marketing him as the best U19 kid in the country. They have freely and unashamedly spruiked this kid as the best player in the draft. On the back of that promotion, they would look pretty silly picking Daicos before him.
Interesting to see Twomey and Sheehan still rate Daicos as #1 but J H Fs preliminary final in SA N F L certainly bridged the gap.
I know most of this pre draft ranking is pretty fickle speculation but I struggle to understand how a player who was consistently rated as number one can be shuffled down the order by a player whose performance in a final was outstanding. Shouldn’t it be based on the performances over the entire season, given that some players didn’t have the opportunity to play finals
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

This time of year gets a bit boring. Thirsty of some news and nothings happening. And we still have a month to go until the draft.

The question remains if Cox is going to re-sign or not? I think he's the only unsigned player we have?

Brander is expected to sign with GWS, so that one is over. The only other DFAs this site has shows some interest in are; Dumont & Constable. I'm not sure how many posters would be serious about bringing one of them over, but there isn't much left after those two. If either fill a need, I guess go for it, if not we take that extra spot into the draft.

Keidean Coleman is still unsigned by the Lions? He's an ideal selection in the PSD. I highly doubt that's on the cards tho. I can't see us using that pick, but until he's signed....

So we have 5 spots (6 if Cox leaves), with Daicos and Dib expected to come in the ND. So we could use 3 other picks or upgrade a rookie if we dont sign a DFA or use the PSD pick.

After that, its the Rookie Draft where we're expected to re-draft Chugg. I think we'll only have one pick unless we upgrade someone. As I've earlier mentioned, we've been linked to Naish and I wouldn't mind stealing O'Brien from Carlton in the RD. And still waiting on confirmation on Faye and if he can just take Tohills place as an international rookie?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

[quote="Lazza"]I know most of this pre draft ranking is pretty fickle speculation but I struggle to understand how a player who was consistently rated as number one can be shuffled down the order by a player whose performance in a final was outstanding. Shouldn’t it be based on the performances over the entire season, given that some players didn’t have the opportunity to play finals
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

Uncle Jack wrote:Can someone clarify for me please? Is there not an incentive for North Melbourne to bid on Daicos and Darcy as the loss of points in having their pick 1 become pick 3 would be balanced by their following picks being compensated and moving up the order?
Their pick 1 remains pick 1 and whatever player they wind up with is still the 2021 #1 draft pick; bidding on Darcy or Daicos doesn't change that (except potentially for the $20k 'bonus'). F/S bids only become #1 if the club they've nominated for F/S declines or is unable to match
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

mattdally wrote:Would you sacrifice two of McCreery, Poulter and McMahon for pick 2 in this year's draft? That's what we're left with.
Only if you knew for sure last year that we would finish 17th and North would decline to bid on Daicos - which of course nobody knew or could know

This like me asking you on Sunday why you didn't pick the winning numbers in Tatts instead of the ones you chose
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Ive had a massive day at work and cannot for the life of me muster up the energy to work this out properly but what exactly did we get back from trading our first round pick this year ( pick 2 )

I thought we did well trading out our first rounder for 2 or 3 of Macrae Henry Poulter etc or whoever it was. Considering we knew we were picking up Daicos anyway it was smart trading by us......but yeah if someone could tell me exactly what the trade was bc there seems to be a couple different stories running here.
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36

magpieazza wrote:there seems to be a couple different stories running here.
Mostly because some people are insisting on assessing the trade as if what has happened would have happened exactly the same if we hadn't traded our pick

How good we did will not become clear until after the drafts are finished - we will probably do some live pick trading during the ND - and really until some time next year, when we've at least seen all the players we got as a result play in the seniors

Given the CF we were in 12 months ago I am very happy with what we managed to do. Would we have done it exactly the same if we thought we were going to finish 17th? Maybe not, but it wasn't a definite error of judgement given the circumstances.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Presti35 wrote:No matter what happens, the media will treat it as a loss for Collingwood.

Scenario 1; North (or even GWS) bid and "Collingwood made to pay". They'd be no focus on how trading the pick was somewhat the right call, albeit a close bloody call.

Scenario 2; No bid comes until after the GWS pick and "Collingwood could have had pick 2 and Daicos". That and "Daicos is not a real #1 pick", "Horne miles ahead"... With no focus on how a late bid is far better for the club.

The deal is done and we're going to get Daicos regardless.

And we found some good players in last years draft. I'm really happy with Poulter and McCreery and I'm bloody wrapt with Henry and Macrae. I'm glad we matched a bid on McInnes which came later than expected. He and McMahon (a tall forward) are the only ones we're yet to see at senior level. So it's not that bad at all. But lets wait to hear what the Nat Edwards, Leigh Montagnas and David Kings of the world have to say. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: Because no matter what happens, they'll have the negative view ready to roll.

Lets wait to hear how we sold our future, "could have had", how we have no youth, how we could do with Phillips right now... And all the doomsday bullcrap they love.
Very true Mr Presti 35.

I don't mind King's observations- I think, that like Kane Cornes, sometimes he makes inflammatory comments to garner a headline.

As for Nat Edwards and Leigh Montagna- they have exactly zero premiership medals between them-I don't rate their commentary. One is still bitter after his club's choke in 2010 GF replay and the other is a pure-and-simple Collingwood hater.

Floreat Pica
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Leigh Montagna’s opinion is never worth listening too - totally agree with Warburton Lad (with whom I may understand about 14 words of his native tongue) - a hint for those with knowledge of foreign languages
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

magpieazza wrote:Ive had a massive day at work and cannot for the life of me muster up the energy to work this out properly but what exactly did we get back from trading our first round pick this year ( pick 2 )

I thought we did well trading out our first rounder for 2 or 3 of Macrae Henry Poulter etc or whoever it was. Considering we knew we were picking up Daicos anyway it was smart trading by us......but yeah if someone could tell me exactly what the trade was bc there seems to be a couple different stories running here.
We got picks 24, 30 and future 4th round. Lots of on-trading after that and basically turned those picks into Poulter, McMahon and a future third which we used on Lipinski.
We did also use that future 4th plus an existing later 3rd round to move up in the order and took McCreery at 44.

Knowing Daicos was coming, I could see how you would want to as a club get some talented kids in early to develop them as a group.

I think they got great value for a pick I have no doubt we would have lost still with a bid on Daicos.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

The strategy to trade out a first round pick for an elite F / S or NGA prospect was sound. Always has, always will be.
The only thing that made this a talking point was where we finished on the ladder 12 months later. They are two mutually exclusive events.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “