The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Either way we were never getting both JFH and Nick Daicos. North were always going to pick up JFH. So with our number 2 pick if we chose to keep it, it would have been the next best player after JFH and Nick Daicos and that could have been anyone in a fairly even draft this year.
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

Pies2016 wrote:The strategy to trade out a first round pick for an elite F / S or NGA prospect was sound. Always has, always will be.
The only thing that made this a talking point was where we finished on the ladder 12 months later. They are two mutually exclusive events.
Absolutely nailed it.
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:Can someone clarify for me please? Is there not an incentive for North Melbourne to bid on Daicos and Darcy as the loss of points in having their pick 1 become pick 3 would be balanced by their following picks being compensated and moving up the order?
Their pick 1 remains pick 1 and whatever player they wind up with is still the 2021 #1 draft pick; bidding on Darcy or Daicos doesn't change that (except potentially for the $20k 'bonus'). F/S bids only become #1 if the club they've nominated for F/S declines or is unable to match
not sure if this is really correct. Dont we all refer to Ugle-Hagan as the #1 pick last year to the Bulldogs?? Apologies if I have misunderstood your statement...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Either way we were never getting both JFH and Nick Daicos. North were always going to pick up JFH. So with our number 2 pick if we chose to keep it, it would have been the next best player after JFH and Nick Daicos and that could have been anyone in a fairly even draft this year.
IMHO, the only ways we were ever getting Nick Daicos AND another top 10 prospect are/were:

1. Knowing how 2021 would pan out, retain our 1st round pick, tank to finish 18th instead of 17th; or
2. Trade back intro the top 10 after we've matched a Daicos bid.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Am I correct in saying that we could still do number 2 ? (mentioned in your above post, not the toilet version
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Uncle Jack wrote:Can someone clarify for me please? Is there not an incentive for North Melbourne to bid on Daicos and Darcy as the loss of points in having their pick 1 become pick 3 would be balanced by their following picks being compensated and moving up the order?
Their pick 1 remains pick 1 and whatever player they wind up with is still the 2021 #1 draft pick; bidding on Darcy or Daicos doesn't change that (except potentially for the $20k 'bonus'). F/S bids only become #1 if the club they've nominated for F/S declines or is unable to match
Nope, not true. Whoever they "call out" officially becomes the number one selected player in the draft. As did ugle-hagan last year.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

[quote="Lazza"]Am I correct in saying that we could still do number 2 ? (mentioned in your above post, not the toilet version
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

jackcass wrote: 1. Knowing how 2021 would pan out, retain our 1st round pick, tank to finish 18th instead of 17th; or
jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:Am I correct in saying that we could still do number 2 ? (mentioned in your above post, not the toilet version
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Boogie Knights wrote:
jackcass wrote: 1. Knowing how 2021 would pan out, retain our 1st round pick, tank to finish 18th instead of 17th; or
jackcass wrote:
Lazza wrote:Am I correct in saying that we could still do number 2 ? (mentioned in your above post, not the toilet version
Boogie Knights

Post by Boogie Knights »

^^^ Point 2 above was referring to matching a bid on Daicos and then trading back into the top 10... not specifically with GWS for pick 2... my point was that the only currency we have to trade back to the top 10 is our future first which on it's own is too valuable, we would need something else to make that move or risk possibly giving up a top 4 pick next year for something in the top 10 this year...

I'm doubtful that GWS will be taking pick 2 into the draft anyway... they're reportedly after Mac Andrew who would be a huge reach at 2... there's many clubs lining up for a crack at getting pick 2 as there seems to be significant increasing interest in Finn Callaghan. GWS are likely to split pick 2 for a pick they can use on Andrew and then have another 1st as well.
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:The strategy to trade out a first round pick for an elite F / S or NGA prospect was sound. Always has, always will be.
The only thing that made this a talking point was where we finished on the ladder 12 months later. They are two mutually exclusive events.
Absolutely nailed it.
Lets just be thankful we didn't finish one lower. Now that would have been a disaster.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by Presti35 »

A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
stui magpie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Well worth a look, lot of upside and fits our age profile
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

MJ23 wrote:
magpieazza wrote:Ive had a massive day at work and cannot for the life of me muster up the energy to work this out properly but what exactly did we get back from trading our first round pick this year ( pick 2 )

I thought we did well trading out our first rounder for 2 or 3 of Macrae Henry Poulter etc or whoever it was. Considering we knew we were picking up Daicos anyway it was smart trading by us......but yeah if someone could tell me exactly what the trade was bc there seems to be a couple different stories running here.
We got picks 24, 30 and future 4th round. Lots of on-trading after that and basically turned those picks into Poulter, McMahon and a future third which we used on Lipinski.
We did also use that future 4th plus an existing later 3rd round to move up in the order and took McCreery at 44.

Knowing Daicos was coming, I could see how you would want to as a club get some talented kids in early to develop them as a group.

I think they got great value for a pick I have no doubt we would have lost still with a bid on Daicos.
Thanks MJ23, for the detailed explanation, much appreciated. I knew it made sense in the beginning when the trade happened , I needed a refresher on the exact names.
This whole looking back on whether it was the right thing to do in hindsight really serves no purpose bc as Pies2016 points out, they are two mutually exclusive events, and if the same situation arose again you would do it again. The fact we turned a first round pick into some possible quality picks is all you would need to know, while still holding the hand of cards that will get us Nick Daicos.
Cheers
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Tuning in to Hine today on AFL podcast “ road to the draft “ was a good listen.
Hine gives little away, so when he says “ anything “, it’s usually profound in itself. He made a couple interesting comments -
- They are desperate to not go into any deficit and have planned for the worst but hoping for the best regarding where Daicos is called out. He said there have been no conversations with either Kangas or Giants regarding any Daicos selection.
- It doesnt sound like they are finished with pick swapping just yet.
- They are very keen to attempt to get back into this draft subject to what’s left after the Daicos bid. This would very likely include their multiple LATER futures.
- He’s always been reluctant to highlight individuals but for him to even say Ash Johnson was training particularly well, was very encouraging.
- Identifying Vic talent this year will be particularly difficult because most Vic kids haven’t played more than six / seven games of footy in two years. At least last year the spotters could refer to the draftees bottom age seasons as a marker. He expects a bit of pick swapping on the night on the back of particular clubs seeing certain Vic prospects very differently to others.
Now you don’t need to listen to the podcast.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “