Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Pa Marmo

Post by Pa Marmo »

Murphy isn’t meant to play on those beasts, he’s a third medium tall back. His efforts to cover for the much larger Frampton have been Herculean. Put Frampton back at FB, Darcy to CHB and Murphy goes back to killing the third tall forward each week.
Genesis 1:1
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Pa Marmo wrote:Murphy isn’t meant to play on those beasts, he’s a third medium tall back. His efforts to cover for the much larger Frampton have been Herculean. Put Frampton back at FB, Darcy to CHB and Murphy goes back to killing the third tall forward each week.
Assuming IQ, Noble and Maynard are lock-ins, that would leave Murphy competing with Howe as our 3rd tall defender. Assuming Howe regains full fitness and form, then I can't see Murphy retaining his place. I would also retain Markov.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

I could see Murph and Frampton swapping in and out depending on the forward structure of the opposition.

Maybe Noble and Markov are a little similar, but at the moment, "needs must" as they say.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Murphy took Coleman - Jones to the cleaners early in the game. Then one of the coaches ( I’m guessing Ratten ) moved the magnets around that led to a Larkey / Murphy duel closer to goal. Because Murphy always plays behind Moore, this meant by design, Murphy had to play on Larkey who strarted in the goal square. Larkey simply had the weapons to beat him on the day. It also coincided with a decline in our pressure from up the ground.
At some point, a player close to 200cm ( I’m guessing here ) was always going to get hold of him. As expressed above, it shouldn’t be his job but he’s done it very well until Larkey. We’ve got a lot of run and carry types in the backline, so there’s room for a low possession stopper as long as he keeps winning one on ones. I tend to think when all of Howe, Frampton and Murphy are available, it will be a combination of any two of the three depending on how the opposition looks on the day.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Frampton is due back soon, which will release Murphy to play the intercept role better not having to worry about being matched up on monsters. Larkey did kick 3 goals in the last after we had a 9 goal lead, pressure did drop away in the midfield.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

Nathan Murphy not in Collingwood’s best 22, here comes the looney season
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Murphy love his work on of the games best centre half back.
toovmeister

Post by toovmeister »

[quote="scoobydoo"]Nathan Murphy not in Collingwood’s best 22, here comes the looney season
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

I think Nathan needs to develop his game further. Become a 15+ possession game player and get o more contests.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:...
At some point, a player close to 200cm ( I’m guessing here ) was always going to get hold of him. As expressed above, it shouldn’t be his job but he’s done it very well until Larkey. ...
Officially 198cm, 96kg.

I'm surprised. :!:
Didn't look that tall to me.
dale_mighty_pies

Post by dale_mighty_pies »

Nathan Murphy if fit plays every week. He will be a better player with Frampton returning
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:...
At some point, a player close to 200cm ( I’m guessing here ) was always going to get hold of him. As expressed above, it shouldn’t be his job but he’s done it very well until Larkey. ...
Officially 198cm, 96kg.

I'm surprised. :!:
Didn't look that tall to me.
Thanks K. Versus Nathan Murphy at 192cm and 90kg.

I’m not here to defend Murphy being beaten in the last quarter because quite simply, he was but it’s interesting to note that Moore only had one possession ( handball ) in the last quarter. I think it’s fair to suggest Moore’s impact or not, has a big bearing on Murphy’s output.
It took me to see Murphy actually be beaten to believe that Howe is more likely to be his partner in crime beside him rather than Frampton.
While Frampton will always be bigger, it’s Howe who covers the ground quicker and reads the play better ( than Frampton ) to lend Murphy support while Moore is further up the ground. It’s a pleasant problem but ultimately it was a good lesson for both Collingwood and Murphy to identify there are areas that still need working on in defence. To learn the lesson and still win was a bonus.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

^

Good call Pies2016
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
roar
Been liked: 3 times

Post by roar »

[quote="toovmeister"][quote="scoobydoo"]Nathan Murphy not in Collingwood’s best 22, here comes the looney season
kill for collingwood!
Bleedblackanwhite

Post by Bleedblackanwhite »

People tend to forget that Murphy has only played 43 games, not even 2 full seasons.
Collingwood forever, forever Collingwood