Parliament House sexual assault and harassment allegations

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

^

<Please don't speculate about such details. There are only 16 people about whom the complaint could have been made. Thanks, Pies4shaw for BBMods>
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Now that NSW Police have officially closed the case, 7 News is reporting that the minister allegedly responsible will publicly out himself as early as tomorrow.

IIR Correctly, when Bill Shorten was accused of rape, once Police had declined to proceed with the case due to lack of evidence, he outed himself and neither stood down or was subject to a parliamentary inquiry.

As far as speculation goes, I'll be extremely surprised if the person named on Twitter isn't just the subject of wishful thinking.

Do we have anymore information on the Federal Labor MP accused of historic Rape?

Meanwhile, don't wear a skirt in the Sth Aus Parliament after lunch. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/ ... s/13207484

Oh, and thanks David for the thread split.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Woods Of Ypres
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Look, if you go to Twitter and look at "Trends for you". Don't search for anything, just keep expanding the Trending until you come across a federal Ministers name.

We'll find out likely tomorrow, the Twitter version doesn't work for me, I don't see the logistics but we'll see.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

<On reflection, I've removed the last few posts including my own to be on the safe side. Thanks, David for BBMods.>
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Thanks for appreciating the effort I went to to avoid insinuation. :wink:
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Well the Ministers name is not <snip> I understand
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

sounds like the guy being snipped should have been snipped in real life!!!
snip!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Press conference at 3pm, for anyone following this (and it's suggested that the as-yet-still-unnamed minister will take questions, which should be interesting). I presume the ABC will be taking it live:

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/abc-news- ... 413V001S00
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
David

Post by David »

The minister is, as widely rumoured, attorney-general Christian Porter. He says that he did know the victim when he was 17 and she was 16, and claims that the allegation is false (upon being questioned, he says that he never slept with the alleged victim). He also refuses to stand down from his position, but will take mental-health leave.

He also claims that nobody has "put the details" of the allegation to him and that all he knows about them he's read in the media.
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Done.
What's the next sensational story that we must have an investigation into?
David

Post by David »

To journalists' credit, he's getting a thorough grilling right now. They've asked all the questions I could have thought of.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Can I now say it was Christian Porter ?

His character or lackthereof was exposed in the 4 Corners Programne late last year. He allegedly used to boast of his sexual conquests and came across as the arrogant, entitled born to rule mentality one used to associate with the worst aspects of the Liberal Party.

At work so haven’t caught up with the Public declaration.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

David wrote:The minister is, as widely rumoured, attorney-general Christian Porter. He says that he did know the victim when he was 17 and she was 16, and claims that the allegation is false (upon being questioned, he says that he never slept with the alleged victim). He also refuses to stand down from his position, but will take mental-health leave.

He also claims that nobody has "put the details" of the allegation to him and that all he knows about them he's read in the media.
he did have a point that if he stood down, anyone could be made to leave their job based on shit written on social media.

but i gotta tell you, i did not see that comin! man oh man
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Well I was wrong, Twitter was right.

I'd discounted him purely because he was from Perth and the alleged offence occurred in Sydney, plus I assumed she was from Sydney.

I don't know enough about any of them to make value judgements on them.

Interesting the age comment. Can you try an adult for an alleged offence they committed as a "child"? (under 18 is a child)