#20 Ash Johnson

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Really nice article. And really nice the club is recruiting indigenous players finally because they offer so much to us.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

The Hawks won the EKFL grand final yesterday 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

brilliant well done to Ash and to the premiers
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What a journey to inspire others
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Read that this morning, nice article.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Great article. Ash's rise has been inspirational.

That banana goal yesterday was outstanding.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

And his home town team had a big Grand Final win https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-23/ ... /101360916
I think therefore I think - I think
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

I have loved Ash Johnson's performances. He is a gun in the making. His temperament is that of a champion. His line up on goal, so focussed, yet relaxed, and then the accuracy of the kick, is just exhilarating. He does not get fazed at all by any disappointing outcomes from his efforts, he is just a monument of mental calmness and equilibrium, after -what is it, 5 or 6 afl games??
He is fantastic, and I am looking forward to watch him in the finals, let alone to what he will produce next year.
So much joy for us from mid season drafts.
John Noble - star.
Josh Carmichael - playing a strong role already
Ash Johnson - playing a magical role already.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I expect 'Magic' Johnson to be fitter and stronger next year after another pre-season under his belt. He has the potential to be an absolute star, but I think to achieve that, he needs to improve his aerobic fitness. The best is yet to come.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Looking at the att. photo, even with defenders above him, the wingspan on this kid is something else. As our third tall designate over 2023, with his athleticism, he looms as a real danger for opposition coaches. Outstretched arms on a lead he'll be rarely beaten, and likely to get plenty of chopping arm / over the shoulder frees from defenders attempting to spoil.
I can see him getting into space or drifting across and above packs as either McStay or Mihocek do the body work.
Over his 9 consecutive games during 2022, he slotted 15 goals and 9 behinds, including 6 games in front of an average MCG crowd of 82,684 and 3 Finals. All for a kid that crossed from S.A during the 2021 mid-season draft.

Ash Johnson 2022 AFL Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U0EVsG ... OhBoyWowee

Pause for thought on the Triple MMM threat - McStay, Mihocek and Majic (Johnson). Ths reshaped forward line structure along with McCreery, Ginnivan, Hill and Elliott, looms as dangerous as we've had in a decade.

Johnson would appear to be blessed with natural talent, as exciting in the air as he is by foot, something that is very difficult to coach. He looms as our Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, very similar in physical attributes, and playing style.
If Johnson can bring AFL level defensive accountability to his game, something that for coach Macrae is a non-negotiable (just ask Oliver Henry), then he might just emerge as the X-factor we need up front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Pies2016
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

We all want to see him succeed because he’s a highlight reel but I’m not as bullish as some. Granted he played with a crook hip during the finals series but I’m not sure if he’s the answer to Flys perfect front six set up. Fly is all about copying the Richmond model of locking the ball in once it makes its way down there. The Richmond flags were won on the back of two genuine key forwards at the most and four crumbers who were manic at ground level.
Johnson is certainly in the mix but like most players who come in new to the game, he will need to come back a better version of himself in 2023 if he wants to start in the seniors every week. He’s got work to do.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I don't think he's in the starting 22 if everyone is fit.

He was non-existent in the Sydney prelim when it was crunch time.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I like the idea of a 3-prong tall attack of Mihocek, McStay and Ash "Majic" Johnston, but I'm just struggling to get him into my best 23.
Johnston certainly burst onto the scene in impressive fashion last year with some exciting forward play and some terrific kicking for goal. At one stage last year soon after his debut he was being compared with Phil Carman!
Unfortunately he was curtailed in the last few games with a sore hip injury and had a poor game in the Preliminary Final loss to Sydney.
If he can regain full fitness and confidence he certainly offers a bit of X-Factor to a forward line that oozes class and skill.
It will be fascinating to see how Fly McRae sets up our forward line to take full advantage of the skill available to him.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Pies2016 wrote:We all want to see him succeed because he’s a highlight reel but I’m not as bullish as some. Granted he played with a crook hip during the finals series but I’m not sure if he’s the answer to Flys perfect front six set up. Fly is all about copying the Richmond model of locking the ball in once it makes its way down there. The Richmond flags were won on the back of two genuine key forwards at the most and four crumbers who were manic at ground level.
Johnson is certainly in the mix but like most players who come in new to the game, he will need to come back a better version of himself in 2023 if he wants to start in the seniors every week. He’s got work to do.
Yeah agree with this.
Has potential
Needs a rocket up you know where.
Really needs a mentor to rev him right up.
Didn't know he was suffering a hip injury late last year.
Really looking forward to seeing the footy this year.
Should be a ripper
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

masoncox wrote: Yeah agree with this.
Has potential
Needs a rocket up you know where.
Really needs a mentor to rev him right up.
Didn't know he was suffering a hip injury late last year.
Really looking forward to seeing the footy this year.
Should be a ripper
Agree that he needs to up the ante. But I believe that he showed enough last year to suggest that he could be very, very good.
I look forward to watching his progression this year.
Clearly, he needs to psyche himself up to go to the next stage. But I have such confidence in the atmosphere that has been established at our club, I am sure he will be getting all the encouragement and expert advice he needs.
Go Ash!
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins