The 2021 Great Big Consolidated Trade & Draft thread

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Question, guys:

If North picks Nick Daicos and we match,
... do they just go on with the next pick and still have pick 1?

Is there a penalty for them?
If not, they could pick Daicos just to spite us...??
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Question, guys:

If North picks Nick Daicos and we match,
... do they just go on with the next pick and still have pick 1?

Is there a penalty for them?
If not, they could pick Daicos just to spite us...??
If Kangas called Daicos first, we would match it and then they would have their pick again. However, it obviously would then become the second pick in the draft ( but effectively still the first “ live “ pick in the draft )

There’s no penalty to any club who bids on a F / S selection, whether they were matched by the parent club or not. The Kangas could bid for Daicos to piss Collingwood off but in this instance, there is more value for the Kangas to pick Horne - Francis before Daicos. Those reasons and theories are explained in earlier posts in this thread.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

Boogie Knights wrote:^^^ Point 2 above was referring to matching a bid on Daicos and then trading back into the top 10... not specifically with GWS for pick 2... my point was that the only currency we have to trade back to the top 10 is our future first which on it's own is too valuable, we would need something else to make that move or risk possibly giving up a top 4 pick next year for something in the top 10 this year...

I'm doubtful that GWS will be taking pick 2 into the draft anyway... they're reportedly after Mac Andrew who would be a huge reach at 2... there's many clubs lining up for a crack at getting pick 2 as there seems to be significant increasing interest in Finn Callaghan. GWS are likely to split pick 2 for a pick they can use on Andrew and then have another 1st as well.
Thanks for clearing that up BK. Yes I meant option 2 in Daz’s post. My bad I wording.
On the ND drafting issue, I guess the opportunity remains for North to be mongrels but not sure it’s worth their while
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

MJ23 wrote:Whoever they "call out" officially becomes the number one selected player in the draft. As did ugle-hagan last year.
I stand corrected. It seems pretty clear JHF wants to be #1 so that will work in our favour then
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
MJ23 wrote:Whoever they "call out" officially becomes the number one selected player in the draft. As did ugle-hagan last year.
I stand corrected. It seems pretty clear JHF wants to be #1 so that will work in our favour then
Yep. Also, I think IF you were North and you were wanting to use the situation as a competitive exercise to either weaken or stop a competitor from getting an advantage as some commentators have called for, then calling out Daicos just wont do it. Not now.

IF we had pick 2 it would absolutely hurts us.

IF we did not have the points for a Daicos No1 bid again it would absolutely hurt us and potentially help North with us sliding back in next years draft due to points deficit.

Right now the most it would hurt us is potentially missing out on a kid very late in the third round. Probably 4th.

For that their player and club misses out on the publicity that comes with the no 1 pick.
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
E

Post by E »

MJ23 wrote:
mattdally wrote:IF we had kept pick #2 it would have gone like this.

#1 North - Horne-Francis
#2 Collingwood - Darcy - Dogs match it
#3 Collingwood - Next best player in the draft
#4 Gold Coast - Daicos? - Pies match it

Giving away pick #2 has cost us a potential gun.
Id argue that IF we had pick 2, North would absolutely bid on Nick so that a competitor didn't get two of the best 3 kids in the draft instead of one.
Id argue that it would not have been a gamble we were prepared to take and would have looked to trade it anyway.
Also, we now have two kids with a year under their belt and Lipinski for the value of the no 1 pick and Im all good with that.
More likely, North would have called collingwood and said - "look, we are taking Daicos, unless you can make us a very attractive offer for the number 1 pick (and promise not to take our guy). We would have paid a lot to get the number 1 pick as we would get two top talents.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

I thought I read on the AFL website that North have declared their intention to select JHF as their first selection. That’s worth around 400 points for us. Can’t imagine GWS won’t call out Nick Daicos’s name at their pick 2. Usually what happens in the week before the national draft is that word of mouth gets around who each club is selecting. By draft night Derek Hine should have a fair idea how the selections will unfold and I imagine he’ll will looking to trade in any unused draft picks not needed for Daicos and Dib, to roll them over into future draft picks. That is unless there’s some smokey out there that other clubs have overlooked who Derek thinks might be around at a 40 something pick.
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

E wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
mattdally wrote:IF we had kept pick #2 it would have gone like this.

#1 North - Horne-Francis
#2 Collingwood - Darcy - Dogs match it
#3 Collingwood - Next best player in the draft
#4 Gold Coast - Daicos? - Pies match it

Giving away pick #2 has cost us a potential gun.
Id argue that IF we had pick 2, North would absolutely bid on Nick so that a competitor didn't get two of the best 3 kids in the draft instead of one.
Id argue that it would not have been a gamble we were prepared to take and would have looked to trade it anyway.
Also, we now have two kids with a year under their belt and Lipinski for the value of the no 1 pick and Im all good with that.
More likely, North would have called Collingwood and said - "look, we are taking Daicos, unless you can make us a very attractive offer for the number 1 pick (and promise not to take our guy). We would have paid a lot to get the number 1 pick as we would get two top talents.
Big risk then from North. Possible, sure. Wouldn't say likely.
Whats definite is we would not have Poulter, McMahn and possibly McCreery.
Michael Jordan
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:I thought I read on the AFL website that North have declared their intention to select JHF as their first selection. That’s worth around 400 points for us. Can’t imagine GWS won’t call out Nick Daicos’s name at their pick 2. Usually what happens in the week before the national draft is that word of mouth gets around who each club is selecting. By draft night Derek Hine should have a fair idea how the selections will unfold and I imagine he’ll will looking to trade in any unused draft picks not needed for Daicos and Dib, to roll them over into future draft picks. That is unless there’s some smokey out there that other clubs have overlooked who Derek thinks might be around at a 40 something pick.
Yeah Im not sure. Few things in our favour.

1. GWS on record as needing a tall. Darcy is the bid. Mac would be next best. Mac wont last to pick 15 which is their next.
2. GWS got pick 2 from us - Fair chance they are ok NOT nominating a player they wont get just to hurt us.
3. Collingwood / GWS trade history has been very amicable. No reason for this to change.
Michael Jordan
piffdog
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by piffdog »

MJ23 wrote:
E wrote:
MJ23 wrote: Id argue that IF we had pick 2, North would absolutely bid on Nick so that a competitor didn't get two of the best 3 kids in the draft instead of one.
More likely, North would have called Collingwood and said - "look, we are taking Daicos, unless you can make us a very attractive offer for the number 1 pick (and promise not to take our guy). We would have paid a lot to get the number 1 pick as we would get two top talents.
Big risk then from North. Possible, sure. Wouldn't say likely.
Whats definite is we would not have Poulter, McMahn and possibly McCreery.
^^^ this. one of the only definitive statements that can be made in regards to what we should or shouldnt have done with our first rounder this year.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Geek

Post by Geek »

Presti35 wrote:This time of year gets a bit boring. Thirsty of some news and nothings happening. And we still have a month to go until the draft.

The question remains if Cox is going to re-sign or not? I think he's the only unsigned player we have?

Brander is expected to sign with GWS, so that one is over. The only other DFAs this site has shows some interest in are; Dumont & Constable. I'm not sure how many posters would be serious about bringing one of them over, but there isn't much left after those two. If either fill a need, I guess go for it, if not we take that extra spot into the draft.

Keidean Coleman is still unsigned by the Lions? He's an ideal selection in the PSD. I highly doubt that's on the cards tho. I can't see us using that pick, but until he's signed....

So we have 5 spots (6 if Cox leaves), with Daicos and Dib expected to come in the ND. So we could use 3 other picks or upgrade a rookie if we dont sign a DFA or use the PSD pick.

After that, its the Rookie Draft where we're expected to re-draft Chugg. I think we'll only have one pick unless we upgrade someone. As I've earlier mentioned, we've been linked to Naish and I wouldn't mind stealing O'Brien from Carlton in the RD. And still waiting on confirmation on Faye and if he can just take Tohills place as an international rookie?
Faye doesn't need to be made a rookie yet. He is on the international scholarship list. It is a separate list
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Geek

Post by Geek »

jackcass wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:Either way we were never getting both JFH and Nick Daicos. North were always going to pick up JFH. So with our number 2 pick if we chose to keep it, it would have been the next best player after JFH and Nick Daicos and that could have been anyone in a fairly even draft this year.
IMHO, the only ways we were ever getting Nick Daicos AND another top 10 prospect are/were:

1. Knowing how 2021 would pan out, retain our 1st round pick, tank to finish 18th instead of 17th; or
2. Trade back intro the top 10 after we've matched a Daicos bid.
Wouldn't have needed a big tank either. Lose the North game and we would have had the spoon this year
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Skids »

jackcass wrote:Cox extending confirmed….

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... on-for-one
Great news! The big fella to bounce back sensationally in 2022.
Don't count the days, make the days count.