So. What's for Dinner?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

The Grandson is over, made him a chicken burger with a toasted bread roll, lettuce, tomato, cheese and mayo with a side of potato gems. Inhaled the lot. :) 8)

Mum and normally have finger food saturday night so put a couple of pies in the airfryer, thought of Skids, and got the steamer out. dinner was a 4&20 Pie with sauce and 4 steamed dimmies with soy sauce. Yum.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Due to the stupid time for footy today, hubby decided he would cook dinner tonight so it would be ready when the 25 year old and I get home.

Looked through a few of my cookbooks and chose a slow cooker recipe with very little prep and just chuck everything in for 8 hours on low.

Sweet Slow Cooker Pork but as I don't eat pork replaced with diced chicken thighs. Zuchinni, capsicum, stock, tomato passata, apple, dried apricots, onion chives. Added extra vegies - carrot and celery. Finish off with creme fraiche/sour cream and serve with rice.

Interesting to see how it turns out but as someone else is cooking I am not complaining :D
Last edited by Dark Beanie on Mon May 29, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Sounds yum, hoping it's a victory dinner.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

It was nice especially after a Pies win.

Ended up serving it with a loaf of pumpkin bread from Wood Frog Bakery.

After tasting decided it did need a bit of extra flavour. The 25 year old added a bit of sweet chilli sauce. Half way though dinner hubby remembered he did not add the creme fraiche (hence the need for extra flavour), so we will make it again to use the tub in the fridge. :lol:
Last edited by Dark Beanie on Wed May 31, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Nice. Up in Toc, fkn freezing overnight, made some Povo stew/loaded mince.

Fry some onions, add 500g of mince and fry til cooked. Add a can of mixed beans, champignons and crushed tomatoes, some frozen mixed veges, garlic, cayenne pepper and worcestershire sauce and let it simmer on the wood stove for a bit.

Serve with some Franks Red Hot sauce, grated cheese and some Rye bread toast. Yum.

Tonights dinner, breakfast for the next 2 days.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Air fryer salmon. Heat air fryer, baste salmon with honey and mustard, paprika, salt and pepper, cook 6 min, add grape tomatoes and broccolini for another 6 min. Sweet potato mash with a little cheese not butter, steamed beans and carrots, bloody yum, so good and healthy!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Just got home from lunch at the Aunty & Uncles. He cooked up his speciality, shepherds pie and it was sensational as per usual. Had his home grown silver beet and brussel sprouts on the side.

The lamb ribs I put in the slow cooker this morning are smelling pretty good for a snack tonight.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Yum.

Got my cook on today, put a Brisket in the crockpot, with the holy trinity (onion, celery and carrot), some beef stock and BBQ seasoning.

For during the week made some Guacamole and hard boiled some eggs.

To serve with the Brisket, making a vege stew.

Onion, Celery, Carrot, Eggplant, Zucchini, Cauli, Capsicum, Mushrooms, Green Beans, Tinned mixed beans, Paneer cheese, Spinach, large tin of crushed tomatoes, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme, salt, pepper and red wine.

Fry everything up, then simmer for a couple of hours. Great side dish, also works well for breakfast with an egg and some Guacamole.
Skids
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Masterchef Stui 8)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Damn straight :wink:

Just had some for brunch as I'd skipped breakfast.

Couple of large scoops in a bowl, heat covered in microwave for 2 minutes, then crack 2 eggs on top, cover and heat for another 2 minutes. Serve topped with home made Guacamole and a slice of rye toast. Yum
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Made Tacos last night, with a difference. Loaded the mince up with Veges and let it simmer for 4 hours til all the veges had fallen apart and it was just a real thick, tasty mince meat mix.

Used the mini stand and stuff tacos, filled with the meat/vege mix, topped with some cheese, lettuce, taco sauce and guacamole. Yum.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Got my cook on today again after watching the VFL game.

Mini Fritattas, sausages, guacomole, a salad and got some lamb (forequarter chop) "ragout" simmering away in the dutch oven.

That's me sorted for lunch and maybe breakfast for the next few days :D
think positive

Post by think positive »

Brekky? Ewww!

Kids coming for dinner, roast potatoes to die for, lots of roast veggies, chicken Kiev and a Woolworths beef thing with. Bourbon sauce!

And sticky date!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

brekky yes.

yesterday for breakfast I had 2 eggs on toast with haloumi, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, a wedge of Avo and a sausage. When I have a big breakfast like that, I have it around 10:30 and it lasts me til dinner.

The lamb ragout won't be for breakfast, neither the salad.

I got some tri colour couscous from the Psarakos market in Bundoora yesterday to have with the ragout. hasven't been there in a while, they have shit on the shelves I've never seen anywhere else and since most of the labels aren't in English, I have to guess from the labels what they are, but they have some really good shit.

Gotta love a sticky date. 8)
think positive

Post by think positive »

If only I could remember ….!