#27, #7 Ben Kennedy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Medieval

Post by Medieval »

I rate BK and quite highly. I know over the years he hasn't shown us much but that's due to 2 things. 1. The sub rule. 2. The fact that when he has played, we've played him out of position. This kid was AA in the U18 National team 2 years in a row. He's got talent. He needs to be played as a midfielder, plain and simple. We've played him as a FP and HFF, with occasional runs through the middle, where he's racked up a few clearances. It's a shame that we would be happy to give him away, given we haven't even used him for what he's best at. That's like buying a lawnmower and complaining when it can't trim your hedges. Although in fairness, we've recruited to the point where his opportunities in the midfield would be even more limited than what they have been. And for people saying he's too small and can't kick; remember Tony Shaw?
The only stat that matters is whether you win or lose.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Melbourne liked Kennedy but were never considering drafting him at 4.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

swoop42 wrote:Melbourne liked Kennedy but were never considering drafting him at 4.
Correct, they drafted Toumpas ahead of the next preferred Wines.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

inxs88

Post by inxs88 »

So we signed Varcoe in Bali last year and maybe Howe this year. Lets set up a base in Kuta!
Medieval

Post by Medieval »

inxs88 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/AFLSeasonAndOffSeasonNews

Moving forward!!
For those who can't read FB at work:

"Melbourne and Collingwood are set to negotiate a deal that would see Jeremy Howe and Ben Kennedy trade places according to 1116 SEN.

Howe is catching up with Collingwood senior coach Nathan Buckley, skipper Scott Pendlebury and a raft of other senior Magpies in Bali this week

Kennedy has told the Pies of interest in a trade to Melbourne for more opportunity.

The Roos and Suns remain interested in Howe."
GoWoodsmen

Post by GoWoodsmen »

Medieval wrote:I rate BK and quite highly. I know over the years he hasn't shown us much but that's due to 2 things. 1. The sub rule. 2. The fact that when he has played, we've played him out of position. This kid was AA in the U18 National team 2 years in a row. He's got talent. He needs to be played as a midfielder, plain and simple. We've played him as a FP and HFF, with occasional runs through the middle, where he's racked up a few clearances. It's a shame that we would be happy to give him away, given we haven't even used him for what he's best at. That's like buying a lawnmower and complaining when it can't trim your hedges. Although in fairness, we've recruited to the point where his opportunities in the midfield would be even more limited than what they have been. And for people saying he's too small and can't kick; remember Tony Shaw?
Sorry not a fan of BK at all. Tried to give him a chance this year. Yes he can find the ball but his skills are appalling. Handball OK but kicking would be in our bottom 3-4 at the club I reckon. Regardless of my opinion listening to Balme this week there is a very strong attitude from management (at least publicly) that if you don't want to be here, we will try and find you a new home - on the proviso the trade benefits Collingwood as well.

He's not best 22 IMO and that's why they're not fighting harder. One might argue if he was best 22 he wouldn't be asking for trade!
Side By Side Forever
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

I'm glad we are trading for bigger and taller players.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
Medieval

Post by Medieval »

GoWoodsmen wrote:
Medieval wrote:I rate BK and quite highly. I know over the years he hasn't shown us much but that's due to 2 things. 1. The sub rule. 2. The fact that when he has played, we've played him out of position. This kid was AA in the U18 National team 2 years in a row. He's got talent. He needs to be played as a midfielder, plain and simple. We've played him as a FP and HFF, with occasional runs through the middle, where he's racked up a few clearances. It's a shame that we would be happy to give him away, given we haven't even used him for what he's best at. That's like buying a lawnmower and complaining when it can't trim your hedges. Although in fairness, we've recruited to the point where his opportunities in the midfield would be even more limited than what they have been. And for people saying he's too small and can't kick; remember Tony Shaw?
Sorry not a fan of BK at all. Tried to give him a chance this year. Yes he can find the ball but his skills are appalling. Handball OK but kicking would be in our bottom 3-4 at the club I reckon. Regardless of my opinion listening to Balme this week there is a very strong attitude from management (at least publicly) that if you don't want to be here, we will try and find you a new home - on the proviso the trade benefits Collingwood as well.

He's not best 22 IMO and that's why they're not fighting harder. One might argue if he was best 22 he wouldn't be asking for trade!
Totally fair response. He is an in and under player and clean disposal isn't his strong suit. And I agree, I don't think he is in our best 22. His time was up when we got Crisp and Greenwood last year. I do hope he does well and gets plenty of opportunity at Melbourne.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Actually, the startling thing about his kicking is how woeful it becomes in the seniors, even when he isn't under any physical pressure. In at least one game this year, I saw him kick 2 50-metre goals in one quarter on the run in the VFL. To me, that makes his inability to execute the basic skills in the seniors even more baffling. How does a guy who can kick so well at times in the seconds miss that simple set shot that he missed against the Welfare? Perhaps it is psychological pressure that he places on himself - I can't find any other reasonable explanation for it.
jackcass

Post by jackcass »

Pies4shaw wrote:Actually, the startling thing about his kicking is how woeful it becomes in the seniors, even when he isn't under any physical pressure. In at least one game this year, I saw him kick 2 50-metre goals in one quarter on the run in the VFL. To me, that makes his inability to execute the basic skills in the seniors even more baffling. How does a guy who can kick so well at times in the seconds miss that simple set shot that he missed against the Welfare? Perhaps it is psychological pressure that he places on himself - I can't find any other reasonable explanation for it.
Agree, baffling, but his disposal issues at senior level definitely between the ears.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Nathan Brown is a bit clueless. This is just another example.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Straight swao for Howe, anything less, the Deeees can go screw themselves. !
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
mattdally
Has liked: 1 time

Post by mattdally »

Add 3rd rounder and it will be done.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

inxs88 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:Melbourne liked Kennedy but were never considering drafting him at 4.
Correct, they drafted Toumpas ahead of the next preferred Wines.
And Jake Stringer too.
Their recruiter should be torched for that...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever