Farewell #28 Nathan Murphy

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

Duff Soviet Union
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Duff Soviet Union »

The main issue with Murphy is his disposal, which is funny, because that was supposed to be his strength when he was drafted. He tends to completely &*(& himself under pressure with the ball and under no pressure he just makes very basic short passes or long kicks to a contest.
"We ain't gotta dream no more"
uncanny
Been liked: 12 times

Post by uncanny »

Murphy is clearly in their best 22 and won't be making way for anyone if he maintains his current form.

Again today early in the game he was there time and time again to take the intercept mark and lead the defence.
Love his unconditional courage.. Leaving his man to take a hit for the side if need ba in clising down a forward move is an underrated feature of his game
woodsmen rule
Piethagoras' Theorem

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

another very solid game
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Critical player in my opinion. Murphy has turned the tide in a couple of games this year. He was excellent when we were under the kosh against West Coast yesterday and I think he helped us turn the tide against Adelaide if I recall correctly.
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Philthypie
Has liked: 30 times

Post by Philthypie »

Murphy is a given down back, so what to do with Howie? Is he a forward X factor?
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I thought he was close to our best player in the first half against Eagles. He virtually didn’t touch it in the second half but that wasn’t because he was beaten.
What I did notice is how slow Frampton is compared to the rest of backline. I’m not potting him because he is a big unit but I’m not convinced there will be a spot for him every week against the more mobile forward line configurations ( I’m assuming here that Howe is available when I make that comment)
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I have felt since late last year Murphy is a lock for best 22, I don't get those who want to drop him???

I dont think Howe is an auto recall...he wasn't in great form in round 1 before he got hurt.

At his age, I think the best might have passed him, depth for this year..next year hmmm does he go around again??

Should a spot open down back surely Kelly is next in line, I feel that the games he has played in the AFL this year have been solid.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Murph the Magnificent!!!

Super game from Murph. Big man crush aside.

And big ups to Hine who thought this guy was top 10 talent and we got him anyway late 20’s or something.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

dalyc wrote:Murph the Magnificent!!!

And big ups to Hine who thought this guy was top 10 talent and we got him anyway late 20’s or something.
Pick 39
Franco

Post by Franco »

dalyc wrote:Murph the Magnificent!!!

Great post. I remember seeing the footage after he got picked where Eddie rang him and said they had rated him at pick 6 but we got him at pick 39.

Cracking game from Murph tonight. So many moments where he was hard at it and did exactly what the team needed.

Love this bloke.
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Brilliant game. Held up magnificently in defence especially when we were under siege in the second and third quarters.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Brilliant tonight, they were under siege for long parts of that game with repeat entries. Stood up big time.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
3rd degree

Post by 3rd degree »

Murph was great tonight. Dusts himself off and keeps cracking.
" Ohhh Banksy and out comes the Note Book".

www.facebook/the hybernators
Donny
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Donny »

Several members gave Murph their 5 votes in the GB Medal votes.

I'm interested to know why. He had 11 disposals and 1 tackle. Others didn't mention him.

Don't get me wrong. I love the bloke. He always puts in.

Just wondering. :D
Donny.

It's a game. Enjoy it. :D
Meredith1965

Post by Meredith1965 »

Interesting. I was one. It just seemed to me that whenever a spoil needed to be made in that backline when it was besieged, more often that not it was Murphy who came off his man to make it. I remarked to my son that he was playing the role of the intercept spoiler, rather than intercept marker. I might revise my view after watching the replay, but he seemed to me to be everywhere. The commentators said so as well, which probably has influence though we try to ignore it. Finally, I always try to balance up votes for the forward line and back line with mids because it is easy to give all the votes to mids because of the role they play.