George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Pies4shaw wrote:You do have to wonder just how incompetent these guys were, don’t you.
Typical office worker response :roll:
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
think positive
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

actually im wondering if the guy was on ice or something.

do you know who Trayvon Martin was:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/trayvon-mart ... und-police

this guy did not deserve to be shot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_ ... do_Castile

if you defund the cops who investigates this:
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/lo ... e/2361532/
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:You do have to wonder just how incompetent these guys were, don’t you.
Typical office worker response :roll:
yep!
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

think positive wrote:
Wokko wrote:If I was a cop in a Democrat run city I'd be resigning yesterday. They're on a hiding to nothing and likely to get killed trying to tip toe around.

10 SWAT officers in South Florida just resigned.
i dont bloody blame them! parts of Miami have a high crime rate, i had a great time there, but there are places you just dont go...but SWAT dont have a choice.
I’m lucky to have travelled a fair bit and I can’t think of any city where you can feel 100% safe. My last awful experience was a place near Athens last year when I was out looking for a taxi in order to reach the airport in time for my flight. I was stared at, racially abused and scared shitless to even visit an ATM to get some money for the ride without being in the taxi. Didn’t see a person of colour at all so the colour of skin was as usual irrelevant to me as I’m a coloured person. As I said I can mention heaps of places it is simply not safe to be at and the perpetrators are of many skin tones.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
think positive

Post by think positive »

Lazza wrote:
think positive wrote:
Wokko wrote:If I was a cop in a Democrat run city I'd be resigning yesterday. They're on a hiding to nothing and likely to get killed trying to tip toe around.

10 SWAT officers in South Florida just resigned.
i dont bloody blame them! parts of Miami have a high crime rate, i had a great time there, but there are places you just dont go...but SWAT dont have a choice.
I’m lucky to have travelled a fair bit and I can’t think of any city where you can feel 100% safe after midnight. My last awful experience was in Athens last year when I was out looking for a taxi at about 2 am in order to reach the airport in time for my flight. I was stared at, racially abused and scared shitless to even visit an ATM to get some money for the ride without being in the taxi. Didn’t see a person of colour at all so the colour of skin was as usual irrelevant to me as I’m a coloured person. As I said I can mention heaps of places it is simply not safe to be at in the early hours and the perpetrators are of many skin tones.
I was shocked by the state of Athens when we went there last year, even during the day. scary and very sad. I wouldnt walk around parts of melbourne at night either, one of the reasons we drive to the footy, i dont want to get on the trains at night.

When we were in Miami we went to a Miami Heat game in the evening, got on the free monorail, i felt perfectly safe, got off the monorail it was a block to our hotel, no drama at all, and at 11pm i went looking for panadol on my own for my daughter, 2 blocks away, people on the street no worries, you have to be smart about where you go everywhere in the world, and always have a bit of a guard up, especially when your overseas, anywhere.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

If police shot someone who pointed a gun at them, pies4shaw would criticise the police for not getting shot before they fired their weapon.

When you think the police are the enemy, they will never do anything right in some peoples eyes.
think positive

Post by think positive »

more on the SWAT team, and P4S note the mention lack of training and equipment,

https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/10-re ... Department.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Feel free to give some evidence that I hold any such view.
Lazza

Post by Lazza »

think positive wrote:
Lazza wrote:
think positive wrote: i dont bloody blame them! parts of Miami have a high crime rate, i had a great time there, but there are places you just dont go...but SWAT dont have a choice.
I’m lucky to have travelled a fair bit and I can’t think of any city where you can feel 100% safe after midnight. My last awful experience was in Athens last year when I was out looking for a taxi at about 2 am in order to reach the airport in time for my flight. I was stared at, racially abused and scared
shitless to even visit an ATM to get some money for the ride without being in the taxi. Didn’t see a person of colour at all so the colour of skin was as usual irrelevant to me as I’m a coloured person. As I said I can mention heaps of places it is simply not safe to be at in the early hours and the perpetrators are of many skin tones.
I was shocked by the state of Athens when we went there last year, even during the day. scary and very sad. I wouldnt walk around parts of melbourne at night either, one of the reasons we drive to the footy, i dont want to get on the trains at night.

When we were in Miami we went to a Miami Heat game in the evening, got on the free monorail, i felt perfectly safe, got off the monorail it was a block to our hotel, no drama at all, and at 11pm i went looking for panadol on my own for my daughter, 2 blocks away, people on the street no worries, you have to be smart about where you go everywhere in the world, and always have a bit of a guard up, especially when your overseas, anywhere.
Wow, excellent post. Generally speaking I loved sailing around the Greek islands, Santosa was awesome, Views from mount Mitiora was out of this world. The hospitality was first class and when I ordered with my head and not with my stomach the food was sensational. I would go to Greece again for a holiday in a heartbeat but not go anywhere on my own in Athens ever again.
Last edited by Lazza on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't confuse your current path with your final destination. Just because it's dark and stormy now doesn't meant that you aren't headed for glorious sunshine!
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Pies4shaw wrote:Feel free to give some evidence that I hold any such view.
To be fair, you have been known to make judgements on others views with no evidence that an impartial person would support.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Tannin

Post by Tannin »

The point of this latest killing isn't the rights and wrongs of the particular officer's particular action. It is the reality that there have been so many police killings, for so long, that no-one over there even bothers to wonder if this latest one was justified or not.

The police over there have unjustly shot and killed so many people - both black and white but mostly black - for so long that they no longer get any benefit of doubt.

They are just considered automatically guilty. Because of their uniforms.

Same as they consider blacks automatically guilty. Because of their skins.
�Let's eat Grandma.� Commas save lives!
think positive

Post by think positive »

they kill a lot of white people too
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Tannin wrote:The point of this latest killing isn't the rights and wrongs of the particular officer's particular action. It is the reality that there have been so many police killings, for so long, that no-one over there even bothers to wonder if this latest one was justified or not.

The police over there have unjustly shot and killed so many people - both black and white but mostly black - for so long that they no longer get any benefit of doubt.

They are just considered automatically guilty. Because of their uniforms.

Same as they consider blacks automatically guilty. Because of their skins.
Wrong.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

think positive wrote: you have to be smart about where you go everywhere in the world, and always have a bit of a guard up, especially when your overseas, anywhere.
Yep - we have spent considerable time over several visits self driving around Africa never felt as wary or unsafe as I have in some European or Oz cities - obviously one does not go trotting around alone in say Joburg day or night but one visit to Joburg in a lifetime is enough for anyone - absolute shithole!

I spent a lot of years in the CATT and D & A - southern region St Kilda to Dandenong - called out to accompany VicPol to “situations” I genuinely believe the difference is that it wasn’t assumed that the person was likely to be armed with a gun. The gun culture in the USA has a lot to answer for - must change perspectives, approaches and options.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

think positive wrote:they kill a lot of white people too
https://www.statista.com/statistics/585 ... e-by-race/
I think this is the relevant one, linked from that general statistic: https://www.statista.com/statistics/112 ... nicity-us/

I accept that there is a generally unacceptable level of police killing in the US. We know that white people are on the end of it, too - just nowhere as often as black people, having regard to population proportions.