Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Graham Wright - now ex-General Manager of Football

Post by Magpie Russ »

I heard Danny Daly.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Re: Graham Wright - General Manager of Football

Post by think positive »

Woods wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 11:24 am I also suspect that Pendlebury’s recent re-signing might just be PR optics. It’s a better look for him and the club if Pendlebury announces his retirement this week with a contract in hand. That’s why the club offered it to him? Maybe. Would look much darker if, after all of this year’s celebrations of his personal milestones, he was given the flick in the off-season.
Why would Pendles retire? He still seems to be enjoying himself and he is still one of the top 10 walk ups every week
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

he was never coming back. I don't know why we tried to make it sound otherwise.

in the end, big deal. It's not as if your best player is leaving
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Thank you Graeme Wright, again. I hope he is made a legend of the CFC because he certainly has been so far helping to bring in 2 premierships so far. I wish him well and hope there’s a chance he returns to the pies one more time in the next decade to help take us to premiership paradise again.

Applause for Wright’s announcement as soon as our season was over. I hope the club has planned for this and the next stage of the plan and we already know how and who’s coming next and when.

I would be concerned if CFC is all knee jerk now having hoped Wright would return as that would put us even further on the back foot given our list, team time and draft order.

I’m hoping this is just part of the plan and we execute it well so our future is more Geelong or Sydney than Richmond, West Coast and Melbourne
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

Who do we target?
GreekLunatic
Been liked: 15 times

Post by GreekLunatic »

I Heard Leppisch might take over
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by K »

SLORT wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:58 pm...
I think that the obvious choice will be Leppa and if that doesn't eventuate (quickly) then he's probably leaving as well.
GreekLunatic wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:01 pm I Heard Leppisch might take over
No. Just list management. ("Just"... Any reason to believe Leppitsch is good at that?)

Magpie Russ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 4:19 pm I heard Danny Daly.
Footy Classified last week said we're interested in Danny Daly (Bris) & Chris Davies (Port).

BBHS wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:09 pm...
Hopefully some more announcements to come I would imagine.
Not if it's one of the two above... Not while they're still playing finals.
Last edited by K on Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

If we’re relying on one man to win us flags then we’re in deep trouble. Hawthorn’s doing fine without him, wonder why… could it be draft and trading?

All the best to Wrighty and thank you for being a part of 2023’s flag.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Thank you for your service Wrighty. A true Magpie legend on and off the field.

Losing A GM of football is not as bad as losing a star player. The club would have been planning for this scenario. They will have a good list of potential successors.

Wrighty’s absence has in no way influenced what has occurred on-field this season. And I doubt our result has influenced his decision to walk either. He’s better than that. After a sabbatical he may have a different perspective on life and what is important. He may go in a totally different direction. I’m 55 and what I value in life the most now has changed greatly from when I was 45. Whatever he does, I wish him and his family the best.

For the club, A dynasty would have been awesome, but one flag is hard enough. We were predicted to finish bottom in 2022, then miss the eight in 2023 by many so-called experts. What this club has achieved in recent years gives me no reason for anything but optimism for the future.

Floreat Pica. Side by Side.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

So out of the current GM's there are a few Collingwood "people" ~ Alan Richardson (Melb), Josh Mahoney (Ess), and Jason McCartney (GWS).

Apparently we're into Danny Daly who has a history at our club ~ "Daly's first foray into the AFL was a casual role at Collingwood as an opposition analyst under Mick Malthouse."

Some people have mentioned Nick Maxwell. However as he left the club only a year and a half ago to become the CEO of company Eclat, I'd think he'd be an unlikely candidate.

It seems that Leppa is still open to the prospect of again becoming a senior coach and if this is the case I'd personally not want him to become GM and instead stay focused on assistant coaching (either with us or elsewhere).

With Tassie entering the 2027 draft, and our aging list, the next 3 drafts are super important. Better to have no more hiccups and get the best person in for the long haul.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm disappointed to lose Wright, as he was clearly the best head of our footy department we've had since I can remember. One of the things which sabotaged Buck's reign as coach was the instability in our footy department with a revolving door of GMs every year or so. Whoever we get for the role now, I just hope that they are good and that they can help provide stability and confidence amongst all our footy staff.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Graham Wright - General Manager of Football

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

dalyc wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 2:52 pm Pendles was good and deserves another year.
Sidey was a bit up and down but good when it mattered, and I think can play again.
Cox was missed all year. When he came back we were much better for it.
Howe was good without being great. But is good enough for another year I feel.
What could possibly go wrong 😑

This thinking is the reason Wright left IMO
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

Post by BazBoy »

I and a fellow Pie supporter discussed the situation & one suggestion was Grahame,s decision was longer than just this season
AFL if they were head hunting him for AFL position (say setting up Tassie) would have been years in the making meaning he would have known of any potential appointment for a while
OK if so it is what it is but no sour grapes from me. We got a good result from his time here
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

WhyPhilWhy? wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2024 5:54 pm Who do we target?
Get Gary Pert back to the club. Excellent solution for an optimistic future for Collingwood.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

lazzadesilva wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 3:02 pm Get Gary Pert back to the club. Excellent solution for an optimistic future for Collingwood.
Pert is CEO, not GM. Think that means he's on more money. He was our CEO from 2007 to 2017 so I don't see him coming back for that role should Craig Kelly be excommunicated for his recent indiscretion.

Alan Richardson is GM, though I'm not certain we'd be into him. Though not directly in charge of list management (that'd be Tim Lamb) he would certainly have had input and some level of veto. They've just re-signed Viney which is a positive; but the previous deals for Oliver and the trading in of Grundy would be two strikes against Alan's return to the pies.