Post Match. Pies down to Bombers. All comments, please.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Well wasn’t that a disappointing performance

I sat through the game then immediately watched it again on IQ

The thing that’s got me the most is our skipper. He looks like he’s completely and utterly spent from carrying this team for so long basically singlehanded
He can’t take a break and rest forward because without his effort around the contest I would hate to see what the score line might be
I really feel for Pendles now
I’ve read through the posts and nothing really surprises me from supporters point of view
Many are realistic and some are downright angry others are just plain fed up

My ole mate P4S made his usual defence of Sidey
I wonder why he feels like he has to defined what’s clearly undefendable in terms of performance
I remember vividly P4S saying when Tom Mitchell had 50 odd against one night “most of his touches are useless he doesn’t hurt you with them”
How many of Sidey’s touches hurt Essendon today ?
I’ll tell you exactly 8
That means 22 or over 70% of them were either changers, turnovers, ineffective or out of bounds
It’s actually sad to see really the game has passed him by so quickly
Once JDG Elliott Adams are back he either plays VFL or solely as a small forward
He can’t play midfield any longer

Our overall ball use was absolutely disgraceful
So many missed targets so many poor kicks so many bad decisions across the board

On the positive side
Cameron was very good 21 touches with 3 goals for a big man was a great effort
IQ really has some footy smarts
The other rookies all looked decent
Still not sold on Murphy but hard to tell on today’s team performance exactly what he going to be so looming forward to seeing more of him

Finally this weekend finally proved the most useless stat in football is hit outs
If you don’t believe me ask West Coast who had twice as many hit outs than Geelong and lost by 100
Hit outs are a thing of the past in terms of importance
4 of the last 5 premierships have been won by sides without a dominant ruckman
They’ve been won by teams with massive pressure and good skills
And who would have thought Collingwood going the opposite way and investing a million a year in a position that doesn’t help you win a game ultimately !!
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Cameron at 25yo must be given every opportunity ahead of Cox. He is the future but give him an extensive run of games. He is better in the air than Cox and is a good kick for goal.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Magpietothemax wrote: Agree that this must be said. But the timing must be right. We need right now to feel out for assistant coaches across the AFL who are interested in taking over as coach of Collingwood. We need to find the coach we want before we remove Bux. If we do this discreetly, and prevent media bombshells from erupting across the airwaves, then maybe we can suss out who should be our next coach, Showing him the door in a frenzy of anger and frustration would repel the candidates that we need.
Really well said MTTM.

For a start, all other coaches/assistant coaches already know that the club has failed at its list management and that there's nothing on the horizon except for Nick Daicos. (Interestingly enough, the crew on First Crack suggested that some really big names need to be traded at the end of the season to get back into the draft......but not Pendles).

But I digress..... perspective coaches will want to get a fair idea of what they'd be getting into and would prefer I'm sure to have a fair junk of the season pan out as calmly as possible, in order to judge this accurately. It's doubtful this could be ascertained with a rashly appointed interim coach.

Secondly, it's pretty obvious that we are not a particularly stable club at the moment. Wright and Korda have already disagreed over the airwaves. There would need to be obvious progress with the Do Better report. Shoving Bucks unceremoniously out the door would only heighten the perception of a club in crisis. What person of real merit would want to walk into a high profile club on that basis?
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Johnno75 wrote:Cameron at 25yo must be given every opportunity ahead of Cox. He is the future but give him an extensive run of games. He is better in the air than Cox and is a good kick for goal.
Yep and allows us to get better value out of Grundy. Cameron is a gem.
Buon Giorno
PyreneesPie
Has liked: 66 times

Post by PyreneesPie »

Johnno75 wrote:Cameron at 25yo must be given every opportunity ahead of Cox. He is the future but give him an extensive run of games. He is better in the air than Cox and is a good kick for goal.
After his performance today, I'd agree that he should be given the best opportunity to grab a permanent place in the team.
I'm sad for Coxy, as he given up such a lot to play the game, but some other club may give him a contract as their back up ruckman. Such is the nature of sport.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Cox's best days are behind him. Need to pump more games into Cameron and see what he's made of.

Today was very promising.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpies035

Post by Magpies035 »

It’s great the kids had a go
Unfortunately the losses will come. Let the kids learn

Yes ts unfortunate that Buckley and the hierarchy actually thought we would still contend for finals. Based on the experience we lost and who was coming in. Almost no chance

The the other frustrating thing is we got smashed by Geelong last year do a pre season and go into 2021 with no change to gamestyle.

Truly mind blowing

How much are these coaches paid and they persevere with the same rubbish outdated style of play and expect a different result.

Collingwood has lost its mantle as a strong powerful club.

It’s sad to watch this demise and worse that the board has allowed this to happen.

Let’s hope Graham Wright has the guts to make the right call and make tough decisions

We just need a whole clean out

A re think of how we run this club and get back to the top. We have lost our way
The Great Macedonian Marvel
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

qldmagpie67 wrote:P4S made his usual defence of Sidey ....
You need to stop misrepresenting my posts. The point I made was that he was played out of position in a role to which he is not suited and evidenced that by the heavy workload he had in tackling and contested possessions. He is not an inside midfielder and, seriously, he isn't the first bloke you'd want trying to lay tackles on opposition mids. It's not appropriate for people to be getting stuck into him for not being able to play that role. It's not an obscure point that I was making. He's probably close to finished, as is Pendlebury - that shouldn't surprise anyone, since they have played nearly 600 games of AFL between them in the worst wear and tear midfield game-plan I have ever seen. There is, at the moment, no-one else and no-one helping.

As for your drivel about Grundy, you might comment on the fact that he had 10 score involvements (for Collingwood, only Pendlebury had more, with 11 - and no Essendon player had so many) and he launched 9 scoring drives. The next nearest on the ground was 4.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote: Agree that this must be said. But the timing must be right. We need right now to feel out for assistant coaches across the AFL who are interested in taking over as coach of Collingwood. We need to find the coach we want before we remove Bux. If we do this discreetly, and prevent media bombshells from erupting across the airwaves, then maybe we can suss out who should be our next coach, Showing him the door in a frenzy of anger and frustration would repel the candidates that we need.
Really well said MTTM.

For a start, all other coaches/assistant coaches already know that the club has failed at its list management and that there's nothing on the horizon except for Nick Daicos. (Interestingly enough, the crew on First Crack suggested that some really big names need to be traded at the end of the season to get back into the draft......but not Pendles).

But I digress..... perspective coaches will want to get a fair idea of what they'd be getting into and would prefer I'm sure to have a fair junk of the season pan out as calmly as possible, in order to judge this accurately. It's doubtful this could be ascertained with a rashly appointed interim coach.

Secondly, it's pretty obvious that we are not a particularly stable club at the moment. Wright and Korda have already disagreed over the airwaves. There would need to be obvious progress with the Do Better report. Shoving Bucks unceremoniously out the door would only heighten the perception of a club in crisis. What person of real merit would want to walk into a high profile club on that basis?
Yep PP, perfect summarisation.
No throwing out of Bux in a hailstorm.
Just quietly, below the GPS, sonar, airwaves etc.. make inquiries of those assistant coaches we like...
If you stop to think, an interim coach actually achieves utterly nothing, given where our list stands relative to the top AFL teams...
Consider Bux himself as the caretaker coach, and start to look for the new coach, quietly, rationally, discreetly....
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Play both of them
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Cameron stamped Cox's papers today. Cox will never play for Collingwood in the seniors again unless both Grundy and Cameron are injured.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:P4S made his usual defence of Sidey ....
You need to stop misrepresenting my posts. The point I made was that he was played out of position in a role to which he is not suited and evidenced that by the heavy workload he had in tackling and contested possessions. He is not an inside midfielder and, seriously, he isn't the first bloke you'd want trying to lay tackles on opposition mids. It's not appropriate for people to be getting stuck into him for not being able to play that role. It's not an obscure point that I was making. He's probably close to finished, as is Pendlebury - that shouldn't surprise anyone, since they have played nearly 600 games of AFL between them in the worst wear and tear midfield game-plan I have ever seen. There is, at the moment, no-one else and no-one helping.

As for your drivel about Grundy, you might comment on the fact that he had 10 score involvements (for Collingwood, only Pendlebury had more, with 11 - and no Essendon player had so many) and he launched 9 scoring drives. The next nearest on the ground was 4.
I agree P4S. Sidey is not an inside mid. He was forced to play there because of our lack of personnel. In fact, I thought some of his best work tonight was to challenge in the centre for the clearance...no one else had that capability...
Sidey and Pendles are both looking now like they are not able to have the impact they once did...that is what happens in time...
We are living through a turning point in time. Our coach needs to be replaced. Our champions are feeling the ravages of time...but also...they are feeling the ravages of list mismanagement, and a list that no longer has the necessary depth for them to work with.
I am sad, because Pendles and Sidey are approaching the end of their careers, while they are still called upon to be the engine room.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies2016
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Any love for Roughead today ?
I thought he was very good against the tide.
Hooker had been in good form and Roughead put him to the sword.
The ole dinosaur still has some life in him yet.

Cameron will be an interesting watch over the next month. Confidence is a funny thing. Might be the making of him .... or not.

I thought Murphy played pretty well, considering how little footy he’s played in recent times. He ran the game out, uses the ball well and plays within his limits. If he can string the rest of season together, I think we have a ready made starting 22 player next year.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies4shaw wrote:Cameron stamped Cox's papers today. Cox will never play for Collingwood in the seniors again unless both Grundy and Cameron are injured.
Maybe...maybe not... I would not make such bold, inconclusively supported, statements.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pies2016 wrote:Any love for Roughead today ?
I thought he was very good against the tide.
Hooker had been in good form and Roughead put him to the sword.
The ole dinosaur still has some life in him yet.

Cameron will be an interesting watch over the next month. Confidence is a funny thing. Might be the making of him .... or not.

I thought Murphy played pretty well, considering how little footy he’s played in recent times. He ran the game out, uses the ball well and plays within his limits. If he can string the rest of season together, I think we have a ready made starting 22 player next year.
Yes, agree P2016. Roughie was great. Hooker did nothing, and often Roughie was taking marks in the middle of the ground. Great game from him.
And agree with Murphy. Liked his effort.
Cameron is interesting... he played a great game today, and as you said, confidence is a massive endomorphine...
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins