Rucking Duties

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

So, you think Cox had a "stellar" season, too?
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

This Cox bashing is getting bloody boring and it’s a silly look for the posters who we know don’t like him and we got it the first time. Repeating it doesn’t make it more right. I think Cox has been doing a lot right lately and is still an asset to the team. Rather have him in the team than not. He will never please everyone and that’s alright. The club and some of us think differently.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

No-one is "bashing" Cox. I was merely taking issue with the suggestion that he'd just had a "stellar" season. That suggestion is self-evidently drivel. Whatever he is, he most certainly isn't "stellar".
woodys_world69
Been liked: 20 times

Post by woodys_world69 »

rucks are cannon fodder.
gone are the days of rucks staying with one club their whole career.
Sydney and geelong either go through new ruckman every year or have no ruckman at all
MJ23

Post by MJ23 »

think better wrote:
MJ23 wrote:
think better wrote: Could look at Harry Boyd from Norwood - was BOG in their SANFL grand final win. https://norwoodfc.com.au/teams/players/ ... eason=2022
I know we are keen on Isaac Keeler. 16 might just get him.
Says in this article that Keeler is an Academy player prospect for Adelaide. I'm never quite sure how these things work.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/856829/kevi ... ards-rucks
Yeah only the northern academies have "bid protection" for bids under pick 40. Basically any team that calls his name out before pick 40 gets him.

And hes a forward ruck - much like Paddy Ryder. He will go before pick 20
"Even when Im old and gray, I wont be able to play but Ill still love the game"
Michael Jordan
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

^ Thanks for the explanation - sometimes I think the trade and draft rules are a bit like a rubik's cube
I think therefore I think - I think
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

think better wrote:^ Thanks for the explanation - sometimes I think the trade and draft rules are a bit like a rubik's cube
Difference being, Rubik's cube was invented by a mathematical genius.

AwFuL trade and draft rules were invented by total numpites....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

^ they just need a way to explain it in a straight forward way - like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXw7LYWNi5E
I think therefore I think - I think
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 151 times
Been liked: 152 times

NO CONCERNS OVER PIES’ RUCK STOCKS

Post by LaurieHolden »

Collingwood vice-captain Jeremy Howe is confident in the club’s ruck stocks in 2023.

While Brodie Grundy departed in the off-season, Howe is certain that Darcy Cameron, Mason Cox, Aiden Begg and new addition Oscar Steene can carry the load.

Cameron recently went down with a minor hamstring injury, but Howe says the ruck situation at the AIA Centre is in a good place after the quartet got the best out of each other across the pre-season.

“I think to the big boys’ credit, our ruckmen have been fit and healthy all pre-season and really pushing each other,” Howe told SEN Sportsday.

“Unfortunately, Darcy had a minor mishap last week but by the looks of it he won’t miss much footy.

“For me personally, I don’t think it’s a great concern for us, we’ll back those boys in and credit to them.”

While Cameron is expected to be fit for Round 1, Howe says Cox has been amazing at centre bounces and could play the number one ruck role.

Given Cox’s prowess in the middle and Cameron becoming more of a “physical beast” around the ground, Howe sees the ruck duo playing together and making the team better as they did in 2022.

“Coxy has been amazing at the centre bounce, he’s a great centre bounce ruckman,” Howe said.

“Darcy has put on some serious size he’s looking like a physical beast which will help us around the ground.

“For me personally, it’s not a major concern and obviously when they’re both fit and healthy they’re going to certainly make us better.”

Source :
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/02/07/ ... -physical/
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
gobbles21

Temporary ruck solution...

Post by gobbles21 »

Although it wasn’t the whole deciding factor, last night showed we need a competent first ruck. Frampton is an AFL ruckman. Unfortunately with Howe down, Will Kelly also injured and Charlie Dean out for the season, we don’t have a lot of flexibility down back to be able to take Frampton out of defence.

Unfortunately I think that means we’re going to have to use Checkers for what we originally drafted him for. As a key defender to release Frampton into the ruck. Or we send McStay back for a few weeks.

It’s less than ideal, but it’s better than being uncompetitive in the ruck all game. A fwd line of Johnson, one of Checkers/McStay, plus all the smalls is still functional a comparative to what we played with all last season.

At the end of the day, last night showed enough that we need to playing with Frampton as first ruck for the next few weeks.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Tom Wilson is the key here.

Surprised he has not even given a look in is beyond me.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

90 nice wrote:Tom Wilson is the key here.

Surprised he has not even given a look in is beyond me.
Yes, I was surprised with the choice of Markov as the sub.
I thought probably McCrae, and perhaps Wilson.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I dont think we addressed the issues well last night.

Never seen so much dis organization in the centre and stoppages.

We just could not sort it out.

We need a Wilson and Ed Allan ruck combo.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Ed Allan is not a ruckman.

Tom Wilson has not done any ruck work in any of the 3 VFL games this season. Has been playing as a forward.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

What about Moore and McStay ruck combo

Worth trying Moore in the ruck.