Vale / in Memorium

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Before people jump on CQ's comments, she is factually correct. I was pretty gutted about Millane, but let's not forget, you don't get pissed as a newt and drive home!

I support Magfan and Culprit on this line. Broadbridges death means as much to me as the death of anyone else in this disaster, and as much as the death of some poor African kid of hunger or aids who never had a chance at this life, or some kid blown up in Iraq from a 'stray' bomb, etc.

How much does it mean to me? That's my business.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

What sort of player was Troy Broadbridge? I don't think I remember seeing him play...
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Go to the Demons website via AFL.com and look him up. There may be two articles before his tragic passing.

He has played for three years, been out for one injured. I think he has played 46 games. Showed potentional by all reports. He is a better player now than when he played by all media reports.
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

It's wonderful that you grieve for Troy Broadbridge Tess. I am sure the out pouring of sympathy his new wife and family have been heard and are helping them through this.

The Tragedy in all this is the overkill by the media. In the end it will do more harm than good. People will become desensitized and switch off. The damage will take 5 to 10 years to repair/rebuild. If people switch off it will become a lost cause.

No one is telling you not to grieve. I have not read that anywhere.

I am more concerned people are spruiking a medal/cup/game in his name. For a player who has played less than 50 games who most have never heard of until now. This to me is an insult to the likes of people like Bob Rose.

The Melbourne Football Club will honour Troy Broadbridge and that is what counts.
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

I noticed Broadbridge a few times. He was rangy, athletic, and could have given them a very versatile player who would have been hard to match up on in a few positions. A bit like Ryan Lonie, less talented, but harder at the ball. Mainly played across back from what i saw, a little bit like a young Clement who with continued improvement and filling out body wise, could have perhaps turned into a very similar player to Clement.
Get back on top.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

well God bless his soul and all the other victims of the tsunami no matter who it is no-one deserves to die in such a matter
blacknwhitechic

Post by blacknwhitechic »

I agree that we have to put things into perspective when talking about this tragedy...You look at the whole scale of it and we are talking about 150,000+ are dead, plus how many people injured, homeless and have lost their whole families, not just one person the way the media portrays it. I got really enoyed with my 10yr old tonight who told me he didn't like something that I put on his plate....I told him he should be grateful that he even has food to eat and that their are some people that have been affected by this that haven't eaten since the Tsunami hit.....

RIP to all the people who died in this awful tragedy......
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Pie calls for courage from death
09 January 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
By JACKIE EPSTEIN
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 22,00.html
FORMER Collingwood champion Mick McGuane believes the death of Troy Broadbridge will galvanise the Melbourne players and lead to on-field success this season.

McGuane, a close teammate of Darren Millane who was killed in a car crash in late 1991, said the Demons would bond in the wake of this traumatic experience.

Broadbridge was in Phi Phi Island on his honeymoon with wife Trisha when he was killed by the Boxing Day tsunami disaster.

"It does galvanise the group, I've got no question about that," McGuane said.
Eunos

Post by Eunos »

And now the Dreamons are "retiring" his guernsey.
How many games did he play?
What a joke.
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

i don't think it's a joke.
Jacqui © Proud Pies 2003 and beyond
Johnson#26

Post by Johnson#26 »

Eunos wrote:And now the Dreamons are "retiring" his guernsey.
What a joke.
No joke. Good decision. They'd obviosuly had councelling, and made their decision on it. He was a popular clubman, and you can imagine how hard it would have been.
London Dave

Post by London Dave »

Eunos wrote:And now the Dreamons are "retiring" his guernsey.
What a joke.
Fair enough to 'retire' it for a season or two, though I tend to agree with you Eunos that it's a bit OTT. We'll have the 'Troy' fest for a while, whilst all the 'grieving' goes on. It's the Aussie way now, remember the mourning over a rockstar who died masturbating?

I kinda recall the pies retired 13 for a while after Wayne Gordon's early death through cancer. I think the player who resumed use of the number was John Bourke, who copped a big suspension for belting an ump (or booting one?) in a 2nds game. Pretty sure it ain't been seen since!
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

The club confirmed Broadbridge's No.20 guernsey has been retired for at least this season.
Proud Pies

Post by Proud Pies »

Johnson#26 wrote:
Tess wrote:Perhaps we could start looking at dedicating the Queens Birthday match against Melbourne to him, or to one of the charities that are doing so much.
Good idea Tess, but he was from ther Port Magpies, so prehaps the Dees and Power should play off for the Broadbridge Memorial Cup?
J26, perhaps they were reading this thread here on Nicks?

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 11,00.html

Demons-Port tribute match
By Rebecca Williams
January 11, 2005

A PERPETUAL trophy between Melbourne and Port Adelaide is among the suggestions being considered by the Demons to honour the memory of Troy Broadbridge.

As the Melbourne players came together yesterday to publicly remember their teammate, coach Neale Daniher said the club was considering ways to make a lasting tribute to Broadbridge.
Hired-Goon

Post by Hired-Goon »

True about all of the fuss etc, but it just breaks your heart to see him leave a wife behind, a new life that was just about to begin ended so abruptly. Rest in Peace.

I find it ridiculously easy to be ignorant to the emotional effects and the bearings that such disasters can have on lives, but its personal stories like these that really do hit home hard.