The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Re: The List

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies2016 I think your thinking is valid
We could also bundle a player or with a pick to upgrade our draft capital
Like macrae mcinnes and 3rd round pick for high end 2nd round
Which could then be bundled with with our current 2nd round pick to get back into mid first round draft pick
Clubs like Gold Coast and Brisbane want points for father sons or academy kids so we could find some deals there
Also I like Peatling from GWS who’s a previous mid season pick and has played very well past 3/4 weeks (think he got coached votes in 3 of those weeks)
He’s a inside mid (GWS has a boat load of them) he wouldn’t cost the world in terms of draft capital or cap space and he’s 23
If we aren’t talking to players like this then our recruitment team needs to be fired
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Here’s a conundrum. How do you avoid following fringe and emerging players at other clubs without the detriment to your own players. Reality is you can’t and it’s part of the business whether we like it or not. It’s just touchy when it it’s about our players and edgy when it’s about players from other clubs
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
Yes QLD, the possibilities are multi layered indeed.
I’m a big Peatling fan. I watched him three weeks ago and was so impressed, I googled his contract status and learnt he was uncontracted at the end of the season and at that stage, he didn’t have in offer in front of him. Two weeks later, he polled 10 coaches votes and now everyone is onto him. There’s just a touch of Josh Dunkley about him with his second efforts and two way running. He got his chance on the back of Kelly snd Coniglio missing, so hopefully he feels he could be on the outer once more when they come back. The hope would be that he’s improved to the point, the Giants can’t offer him the contract he deserves. I think he should be a prime target for the club because he’s affordable, has growth and fits our needs perfectly. Get it done 😉
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies2016 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 5:31 pm ^^^
Yes QLD, the possibilities are multi layered indeed.
I’m a big Peatling fan. II think he should be a prime target for the club because he’s affordable, has growth and fits our needs perfectly. Get it done 😉
Absolutely mate
Plus they have academy kids coming through and a glut of mids
The appealing thing is he’s a mid season pick so the demands won’t be as bold as if he was a high end draft pick
Cap space wise we can fit him in they will struggle
We can offer full time minutes as a in and under mid they can’t
He gets to play with brothers Daicos which should be appealing
These are the sort of players we need to be chasing and chasing hard
I hope whoever is in charge at the moment is deep in conversation with his management already if we’re not then as I said someone needs to be sacked
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

If we bundle up our end of first round picks from previous years for a high end 2nd round then that’s a damning indictment on the club, and really we have a poor history of getting those picks right.

IMO we have to have a top 10 or we should target known quantities instead eg the Peatling discussion as long as we don’t lose future first rounders.

I applaud the thinking but let’s face it, we are left in a position to try to polish a turd.
Buon Giorno
Pies2016
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Big T wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:26 pm^
We’re all feeling a bit short changed with the Shultz trade right now. However the news that young McGuane is predicted as being on track for a top 5 selection in 2025 ( see Jen’s post in the F / S thread ) has really opened up our ability to participate in the later part of the first round of this years draft. It makes sense to me to obtain a decent pick in the 2024 draft by trading out next years first rounder. It might sound like robbing Peter to pay Paul but this strategy would at least mean we go to the draft in both ‘24 and ‘25 having secured a first round selection in both drafts. McGuane would still cost us a bit with the new diluted F / S rules but it can still be done easily enough without our ‘25 first rounder.
The 2024 draft is deep and even, so something around # 20 ( which is just outside the first round ) would have more appeal than usual.
We can’t change the past but it’s far from all doom and gloom come draft night, with all the trade mechanisms available. It doesn’t get much easier than finding a suitor for a future first round pick but the real question becomes, is that the way the club will go.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Kreuger still unsigned? I think he showed enough this year to warrant another year, especially with Checkers coming to the end.
Big T
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Good points Pies2016. My fear really is giving up on Macrae and McInnes and them fulfilling their potential elsewhere. I’d be keeping both given the current list profile.
Buon Giorno
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

The right offer will see players depart. I cannot see Reef and Finn in Black and White next year simply because they get SFA game time.

The play is for Leppa to be an assistant at the Bombers and Blues. Bombers are a hot favorite as a few are unhappy with the coach and its plan B.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Culprit wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:08 pm The right offer will see players depart. I cannot see Reef and Finn in Black and White next year simply because they get SFA game time.
Are they not locked in and contraced? Can't see them listed on table in url below? Me confused...

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1094814/afl ... 024-season
Culprit wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 6:08 pmThe play is for Leppa to be an assistant at the Bombers or Blues.
Bombers are a hot favorite as a few are unhappy with the coach and its plan B.
And isn't Snott under contract too? Would he have to be paid out big-time?
If Leppa were to go to Dopers as an assistant, wouldn't any plan-B he brings simply imply that a coupe is on the cards?
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

^^You can still be traded if you have a contract. Do you want me to start listing players that have been traded whilst contracted? I a pretty sure you don't have to look too far. :D
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

piedys wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2024 2:18 pm
Are they not locked in and contraced? Can't see them listed on table in url below? Me confused...
Macrae is contracted to 2025, Reef and Joe Richards ain't. Their contracts end in November (?), so clubs can do their trades and get something for them, or they throw their lots onto the merry-go-round that is the draft.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by warburton lad »

So McRae was just interviewed and said that the Magpies will do a 'deep review' of the 2024 season.

He also stated that the Pies are targeting a marking forward in the Trade Period- Alec Waterman come on down!!
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I reckon we'd be nuts to trade or delist Reef.

The kid has played 20 games over 3 years, 1 as an unused sub, 6 times started as sub and came on and 2 times subbed off. He's had no continuity and for a 21 yr old recruited as a tall midfielder and being asked to play KPF he's managed, over the 3 years, to average 0.9 goals a game. In 2024 he averages 1.4 goals a game from 9 interrupted games, the same as Ollie Henry at Geelong who's 6 months older and played 20 games and rarely been sub or subbed off.

Play him as a 3rd tall forward, give him continuity of games and get in his ear over preseason about lifting his 1%s and we have a ready made player. Let him go and watch what he can do elsewhere.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

stui magpie wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:04 pm I reckon we'd be nuts to trade or delist Reef.
I agree.

Though I also have a sneaking suspicion that he may be involved in the trade that brings Keane back from the Crows if they prove unwilling to take Ash Johnson.