#13 Dale Thomas

Player President threads here thanks.

Moderator: bbmods

richo

Post by richo »

This reminds me of a thread called "Swan gorn? Already committed to GWS?". How did that turn out?
Hm

Post by Hm »

Having gone for big dollars in my profesional life, yes great to get a pay rise, but after you accept and move you then get used to the money and don't really notice the difference... but you have to turn up and work with people you don't know/like, live in an area you don't like and be away from your family, - every day.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Why don't we all have a guess? It's all speculation, and completely pointless.
Nick - Pie Man

Post by Nick - Pie Man »

Daisy will be at Essendon next year
Deal's been signed
Lock it in

And Mick will be at Fremantle

Eddie at Carlton

I have good sources that tell me that these contracts are already done and dusted
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Nick - Pie Man wrote:Daisy will be at Essendon next year
Deal's been signed
Lock it in

And Mick will be at Fremantle

Eddie at Carlton

I have good sources that tell me that these contracts are already done and dusted
I think you have good sauces. :lol:
mattys123

Post by mattys123 »

richo wrote:This reminds me of a thread called "Swan gorn? Already committed to GWS?". How did that turn out?
Yep, that one was a beauty, and I laughed at it, just I am laughing at this one.

As I've said all along, none of our "big 3" will be going to GWS, 1 has already been signed, Pendles is next to no chance of going (even his money hungry manager has stated that) and Thomas will stay also.

For some people in life, money isn't everything, and Thomas will stay for a number of reasons, but the main reason will be his family in the end.
Wokko

Re: Dale Thomas

Post by Wokko »

Black_White wrote:
Clemo wrote:
Black_White wrote:I'm calling it
Thomas to GWS.
Lock it in Ed.
Done deal.
not a troll, not a muck-raker...but a muck=raking troll. :evil:
Ah, play the man.
Well done sir!

No need to debate the triple $$ on offer.
No need to debate being the "face of the Giants".
No need to debate the possibility of Captaincy.

No, no, just bury your head in the sand and hope it all goes away.

Well played.

You didn't make any of those arguments in the first place, you merely made an assertion with no argument of any substance whatsoever. As for your attempt to offer something approaching an argument for your 'point', you merely give some unsubstantiated positives on a move without countering any of the (many more) negatives in going.

Thomas can leave for a short term cash injection, becoming the most reviled player since Nick Davis, probably not being welcome back in the fold for 20-30 years, throwing away a lifetime as a looked after premiership hero to play for a plastic gimmick of a 'franchise' that will have few fans, limited success and even be hated in it's own heartland.
MOTR

Post by MOTR »

Did Nick Davis win us a premiership?
Be Staunch, Be Proud, Be Collingwood
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

MOTR wrote:Did Nick Davis win us a premiership?
It hurts more when the breakup is someone you really love.
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

Wokko wrote:
Thomas can leave for a short term cash injection, becoming the most reviled player since Nick Davis, probably not being welcome back in the fold for 20-30 years,
Since when was Nick Davis not welcome back at Collingwood?
He played in the B&W stripes so he is welcome back anytime in any capacity.
Your a sick person if you think that Daisy taking the money makes him any less welcome at the Pies.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Black_White wrote:Since when was Nick Davis not welcome back at Collingwood?
He played in the B&W stripes so he is welcome back anytime in any capacity.
Your a sick person if you think that Daisy taking the money makes him any less welcome at the Pies.
http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopi ... vis#697998
Black_White

Post by Black_White »

?
No problems in that thread wokka, wokka.
Nick Davis made the simple mistake of stating that he was ready to sign, on many occasions. That's why he failed the "good bloke" rule that Malthouse was installing in the team at the time.
Now that his career is over at the swans, then he is welcome back.
As was Leigh Mathews when he finished coaching the Lions. He had to wait for his life membership until that day came.
Normal practice for the Pies. Normal practice for all clubs really.
Thomas as yet has not said "I'll sign", but has made us believe he is waiting for later in the year. All a bit "Gary Ablett".
Pure cold hard logic dictates that sporting life is short, big bucks are rare.
richo

Post by richo »

Dale Thomas: "I want to stay a Pie"
By Brodie Russell on Fri, 11/02.2011

Dale Thomas is the first of Collingwood Magpies out of contract trio to say that he is commited to the club and that he does not want to go to the newest AFL franchise, Greater Western Sydney. Premiership player Dale Thomas, along with magical Collingwood midfield duo Dane Swan and Scott Pendlebury all come out of contract, for when the Greater Western Sydney Giants come into the competition in 2012. After rumours were started by Collingwood president that Melbourne youngster Tom Scully has already signed to the Giants, Greater Western Sydney coach and ex Essendon champion coach came out and stated that he will sign one player of the Magpies duo (Which would be the one out of contract player the Giants could take from Collingwood, with the rule stating they can select only one from a club).

The big topic that all of this speculation raised is - 'Money in Football'.

How much of an impact does the money have in where a footballer plays and where he will sign on in the upcoming seasons. We all seen the Gary Ablett Jr saga go down in the last year, which ended in Ablett signing for the Gold Coast Suns, the first club to be put into the AFL in the new expansion. Gary Ablett Jr has told the press over and over again that while the money was an impact in his decision the major thing that made up his mind was the challenge that the Gold Coast Suns would bring him, to finish his AFL career after a dominant era with Geelong Football Club, the club his father and AFL great Gary Ablett Sr played for. The big question is "How much of an impact does money have in AFL" and how much is too much to deny.

What we have seen by Dale Thomas' recent words is that money is not everything in football and that football is played for other reasons than just to pick up some money and do it the easy way. Thomas mentioned that he would love to stay at Collingwood Football Club for the rest of his career or for as long as Collingwood would have him.

Thomas told Nova FM radio "you can tell Collingwood to start talking contracts if you like, that would be fantastic" and that he does not think this will be his last year at Collingwood FC.

Dale Thomas was asked if he thinks that he will be playing for the Magpies in 2012 to which he replied.

"Do I want to be at Collingwood? Yes, for as long as they will have me."

In reply to this, the interviewer continued by asking Dale if the money that Greater Western Sydney Giants can offer is something that can't be denied, which saw Dale Thomas laugh and reply "it's not all about money Kate"

When asked what else it is about Thomas was heard saying "The football buisness is about winning premierships" something that Collingwood have done in 2010 and have a great chance of doing in future years.

Dale Thomas has proved with these comments that, the AFL is not all about money and that footballers still want to play for success and they want to honour their commitments to their current clubs instead of just run away to another club just because they can offer you more money to play for them. Thomas is yet to put pen to paper, but he still has a full year to do so and with this, he has mentioned to the club that he would be happy for the Magpies to start talking to him about contracts for future years. Thomas the 2nd pick in the 2005 draft has proved himself to be a very important member for the Collingwood team especially through the 2010 finals series and in both Grand Final's with brilliant performances and every Collingwood fan and Collingwood official would love to see Thomas sign on for many years. If Thomas signs a new contract and the remaining out of contract stars follow his lead, it is a promising future for the reigning Premiers.
richo

Post by richo »

richo

Post by richo »