Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

To be honest i have the exact same feeling as i did going into the Dees QF game.

A tad nervy but kind of confident we can control the game from the on set.

Kind of gaining more and more faith since.

Must say tomorrows training session good time to rest our key players.

Moore etc..... anyone whos got a niggle take the day off.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:Top Giant hints at tough return for star Pie (Nick Daicos)

...Toby Greene suggesting the Giants might physically test out the Magpies' massive inclusion in Nick Daicos.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036648/itl ... ick-daicos
Gee the sniper predicts sniping . . . oh my what a shock!
We shouldn't take threats like that lightly. When Hawthorn played us, virtually their entire game plan revolved around injuring Naicos. We will need to prepare for any similar scenario from GWS. Bruzza might be called upon to throw his weight around. We also need to be ready to find a way to exploit such tactics. While two or more opposition players are distracted trying to make life hard for Naicos, we have at least one free man.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I was cool as a cucumber in the lead up to the QF.

This time round, I'm feeling nervous already. PF's have a different meaning to them.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Jezza wrote:I was cool as a cucumber in the lead up to the QF.

This time round, I'm feeling nervous already. PF's have a different meaning to them.
Yep, no second life.
Our team understands the stakes... I have no doubt.
If anything is to be taken from our season, it is that Fly and his team (assistant coaches, Jacqui Louder) understand how to make sure our guys are in the necessary mindspace. In fact, I think to a large extent, our guys are largely self-sufficient in that respect, and only a few final touches from Fly are necessary.
I am always nervous, because nothing in sport is guaranteed.
But I am also filled with rock solid confidence that our team will be primed and ready on Friday night.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ Summed it up beautifully, MTTM.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

On Twitter:
Briggs has his shoulder strongly strapped today. There is maybe doubt whether he will get up - definitely will not be fully fit.

https://x.com/DanielGarb/status/1704306 ... 51815?s=20
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:It makes zero difference whether supporters underestimate the Giants or think the Giants should be flag favourites. The only thing that matters is how the players and coaches prepare for the opposition. Nobody within the club will be underestimating any finals opponent, so we can safely remove over confidence as a concern on Friday night.
It comes down to preparation during the week and execution on the night. We will play to our strengths and do our best to exploit their weaknesses ( second ruck, their over attacking style and late game fatigue, just to name a couple ) ....
But hafta wonder whether within the club, GWS was underestimated before the 2019 PF.

It's surprising how unprofessional AFL clubs still are. e.g. Eddie on Footy Classified was making a big deal about Zorko losing 8kg over the preseason. But of course it means Zorko was 8kg overweight. :shock: (He didn't choose to shed 8kg muscle, which I initially wondered.)

Re. "their weaknesses (second ruck,...)..." Sadly for us, their first ruck is a big strength. He and Toby didn't play against us last time.

"Kieren Briggs has arguably been the best ruckman in the competition since returning to the senior side after that loss to the Magpies in May and looms as a major threat to Pies pair Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron. Briggs led a dominant Giants midfield group in their win over the Power and should he overcome a sore shoulder, looms as a major threat on Friday night."

(afl.com.au)

[Is his injured shoulder on his dominant side? :?: ]
K

Post by K »

Piesnchess wrote:Sour Matty Lloyd on the Kool Aid, now tipping the GWS, reckons we cant handle their centre line. ...
No, he's not. :shock:

He's on both AAA and Footy Classified. Both times, he said he can't go past the Pies.

Mr Miyagi wrote:I’m sick of hearing about 2019. Four years ago, different coaches, different teams.
But must be a lotta players from then still playing. Esp for GWS. And both teams are better now than then. (And we stuffed up our good luck of not having to face Toby then.)

piffdog wrote:...
I think there’s some merit in the talk around fatigue and the advantage we should have. Hopefully we can either a) jump them early or b) not let them jump us and finish the game strongly.
Yeah, this could be decisive late if we at worst don't fall behind.

Kudos to Kingsley. Asked bout the 6-day break, said somein like, "They finished first. If it is an advantage, they earned it."

If it were Goodwin or Dimwit Dimma in his position, they'd be whingeing big time.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:It makes zero difference whether supporters underestimate the Giants or think the Giants should be flag favourites. The only thing that matters is how the players and coaches prepare for the opposition. Nobody within the club will be underestimating any finals opponent, so we can safely remove over confidence as a concern on Friday night.
It comes down to preparation during the week and execution on the night. We will play to our strengths and do our best to exploit their weaknesses ( second ruck, their over attacking style and late game fatigue, just to name a couple ) ....
But hafta wonder whether within the club, GWS was underestimated before the 2019 PF.

It's surprising how unprofessional AFL clubs still are. e.g. Eddie on Footy Classified was making a big deal about Zorko losing 8kg over the preseason. But of course it means Zorko was 8kg overweight. :shock: (He didn't choose to shed 8kg muscle, which I initially wondered.)

Re. "their weaknesses (second ruck,...)..." Sadly for us, their first ruck is a big strength. He and Toby didn't play against us last time.

"Kieren Briggs has arguably been the best ruckman in the competition since returning to the senior side after that loss to the Magpies in May and looms as a major threat to Pies pair Mason Cox and Darcy Cameron. Briggs led a dominant Giants midfield group in their win over the Power and should he overcome a sore shoulder, looms as a major threat on Friday night."

(afl.com.au)

[Is his injured shoulder on his dominant side? :?: ]
Hi K,
just reading your post. It seems like you have not yet recovered from the shocking years we suffered under the previous regime, coaching, injury management, psychology...you name it. These were traumatic times, and I still feel the legacy of that dark era. However, that chapter in our history closed when Craig McCrae became coach. It was clear in 2022, and it is even clearer now. How we prepared for the Prelim against GWS in 2019 bears absolutely no resemblance to how we will have prepared for it in 2023. The team belief now has been created over the last 2 years, and is based on totally different premises than what we had under NB. We won't be underestimating GWS. We will be coming out breathing fire.
As for Briggs: He was opposed to an already injured Lycett against PA...hardly a critical test. He is also injured, and this will affect him to some extent. Playing Cox and Cameron against him should allow us to exploit an advantage in the ruck, and will go some way to nullifying the loss of Tay.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

K wrote:

Kudos to Kingsley. Asked bout the 6-day break, said somein like, "They finished first. If it is an advantage, they earned it."

If it were Goodwin or Dimwit Dimma in his position, they'd be whingeing big time.
Agree. Kingsley looks like a very straightforward, natural, honest guy. doesn't whinge or throw others under the bus.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
K

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:
K wrote:
piedys wrote: Maynard seems to be the people's choice; we just need to be wary of Toby doubling back once his opponent gets sucked too far upfield - perhaps IQ then covers him?

I'm sure our coaches are aware of this tactic, and are planning measures to counter it?
Pie-supporting journo Gleeson:

"Greene didn't play when the Giants upset Collingwood in the preliminary final of 2019. He didn't play earlier this year when the Giants were belted. But in 2021 in an eight-minute burst in round four, Greene kicked three goals and made Isaac Quaynor look like a schoolboy."

(The Age)

Okay, don't play IQ on Hogan... but don't play him on Toby either. Who's left for IQ? Bedford?
From the AFL app, career numbers when Maynard and Greene have gone head to head is as follows. Maynard has spent 142 mins on Greene and he’s coughed up one goal. That’s around six quarters and conceded only one goal in that time. He’s also easily the best performed Collingwood defender against Greene. The strength of Greene is that he can also play midfield, so he’s not out of the game just because he may have had a quiet quarter as a deep forward.
As for I Q, he’s so improved over the years, there’s no comparison. Whether it’s Bedford or Daniels, I’m sure he will acquit himself very well.
Yep, P16. Folks without the app can also read Riley B's interesting article here:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1035631/can ... -up-awaits

'Last year, McRae rolled a heap of opponents against Greene in an 11-point Collingwood victory. Champion Data notes that Nick Daicos (35 minutes), Maynard (24 minutes), Jeremy Howe (23 minutes) and John Noble (13 minutes) all spent time on him.'

GREENE TIME
Collingwood's Toby Greene matchups since 2020
142 minutes: Brayden Maynard (one goal)
59 minutes: Isaac Quaynor (five goals)
35 minutes: Nick Daicos (nil)
29 minutes: Jeremy Howe (one goal)
19 minutes: John Noble (nil)
16 minutes: Jack Crisp (two goals)
10 minutes: Nathan Murphy (nil)
3 minutes: Darcy Moore (nil)
1 minute: Pat Lipinski (nil)

[Thumbs up to Johnny for his 19 goalless minutes!! 8) ]
K

Post by K »

perthmagpie wrote:There seems to be more and more money for the Giants. Today shortened from $6.00 to $5.50 for the flag. A bit of recency bias applying here I think. ...
Honestly... $6 --> $5.50 is not a big change...

Magpietothemax wrote:...
Hi K,
just reading your post. ...
Cheers, Mttm. 8)

Jezza wrote:
David wrote:Honestly, I feel much more comfortable with experts tipping against us than everybody assuming we'll win. We need to be ready for their best!
I don't mind it either.

Giants should be respected for their progress through the year, but I think our strengths are being understated by the media.
But I reckon GWS's strengths are underestimated by many folks here. It's the interstate effect. (Same folks prolly don't realize how well Witts has been going for years for GC as ruckman and co-captain.) All those stars, like Toby, Kelly, Green, Whitfield, Coniglio,... We've struggled with clearances and contested ball for several months. It's tough work trying to win scoring by slingshot off half back all the time.

qldmagpie67 wrote:...
Hunt and Langdon went to work on Sidey running off him and every opportunity and becoming very fsngerous feeding there forward line and putting our defence under constant pressure
Hunt?? Oh... maybe ya mean Hunter?

I reckon Langers was very poor that night. Wondered whether he was psyched out by his strange "all duck, no dinner" comments last year.

qldmagpie67 wrote:...
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We have three wingmen. Two of them totally starred for us last game. The third had a shocker but is in this year's AA side. (Maybe having his brother back will settle him?)

I reckon the wing is the least of our worries.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote: Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.

Lazza, im sick n tired of being a pessimist Magpie veteran fan, done with tht shit , im up for this match, really up for it, our best has been outstanding this season, we have 10 more rest days than this mob, they wll tire out as the match goes on.they tired out last week, last qtr, had Port kicked 5 soda goals Giants woud have barely got over the line. WE can take these Orange peel pricks tackel em like maniacs, they may shit the nest, this one is ours for the taking. We can and will win, im quietly confident, more an more now. :o :)
I'M with Mr De Silva on this one. We need to be bringing more than a quarter and a half of full pressure and commitment as we have been doing for the last few weeks. What has been concerning in our last two defeats has been the lack of a second effort when our opposition has kicked ahead. Defending a lead is not going to win us a grand final. The killer instinct needs to last until the game is done. That's what won us the 2010 flag and will win us our next one. I believe we can do it, the boys look hungry and switched on for it.

I wouldn't be downgrading West Sydney Giants either. They are a very good and well drilled footy team. Port were never going to win it, nor score those goals in the last quarter. Their wretched forward game plan saw to that. And it should be noted most times in the second half Port managed to threaten and kicked a goal, W.S.G. soon answered. That's what a winning team does and its what we need to be able to do again if we are going to win this preliminary final.

Mate, the Giant beat a pretty ordinary saints team that were shit lucky to even make the finals, and a banged up Port team, with major injuries, that played two injured players, dixon and mckenzie, it neve works, Neither of those sides put any real pressure on them, just let them waltz around unattened it was joke, we are the pressure team,number one, and these Orange **** wont know what hit em, Fly has us primed ready to go, we have traiined the house down, the hot cauldron of the MCG, our fans going nuts,plus a massive ten days more rest, will get us home by around five goals. Lets be positive for chrissakes. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:Top Giant hints at tough return for star Pie (Nick Daicos)

...Toby Greene suggesting the Giants might physically test out the Magpies' massive inclusion in Nick Daicos.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036648/itl ... ick-daicos
Gee the sniper predicts sniping . . . oh my what a shock!

Little sniper turd, maybe Naicos better borrow Masons glasses, or Toby the tosser might scratch his eyes, eye gouging is, after all, his forte and speciality. :o
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

K wrote: [Is his injured shoulder on his dominant side? :?: ]
No