The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by qldmagpie67 »

warburton lad wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:35 pm So McRae was just interviewed and said that the Magpies will do a 'deep review' of the 2024 season.

He also stated that the Pies are targeting a marking forward in the Trade Period- Alec Waterman come on down!!
Lad the most interesting part of that was how he insinuated that having Leppa and Bolton handling 2 or 3 other jobs outside there coaching roles and how that may have impacted the team performance
It’s obvious there focus has been spread so wide that the role they’ve been paid to do (coach) hasn’t been there main focus
We need to quickly sort out the footy department and get list management squared away with its own dedicated staff and leave the coaches to coach
Look it mightn’t have been a huge impact on our season but even if it was a small impact it still too much of a impact
I hope the review dives deep and the Board actually think about performance over cost savings
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Re: The List

Post by warburton lad »

I think Ash Johnson for Keane (not sure I am stoked with that move as we would have Frampton, Dean, Howe, Moore, Eyre as tall defenders...)

Keep Reef and trial him off half back over summer.

After a season in the backline, throw him in the guts as a tall midfielder..

he is a keeper- as is Joe Richards...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Re: The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

Post by lazzadesilva »

From what I gather, Richard’s is highly unlikely to be at Collingwood next season. However if a miracle happens and he remains on the list, I fully agree with you WL.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

If I was Richards, going to Port would be a no brainer.
He's not a kid, he's 25. Port is apparently offering 4 years on decent coin and see him as a regular part of their best 23.
We're offerering less both in terms of cash and tenure and he's not seen, at the moment, as a regular best 23 player.
So if he wants to play regular AFL games and get enough cash to set himself up, he goes to Port. If you look at it pragmatically, he'd be stupid to stay.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
npalm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by npalm »

It seems that we going to retain every single one of our veterans. One of the downsides of this is the lack of salary cap space to enable us to retain some of our younger players. I would hate to lose Richards just because we don't have the dollars in the cap to match Port's bid. And in another thread some-one has suggested that Port may be after Parker as well.
I'd be offering some-one like Howe an assistant coaching position for 2025 to free up about $500k (I'm guessing) per year which would go a long way to retaining the younger players.
Side by side.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

The player movement/list management will be fascinating for the next few months.
Even though veterans have been retained, there is no suggestion that they will be on big money.

I like the suggestion that Howe be offered an assistant role to 'retire'- would free up cap space for 2025 and enable us to retain younger players.

I think right now, the following may be on this ice to remain on the list: Begg, Bytel, Sullivan, Carmichael & Murphy (both retired), Johnson and, perhaps, Markov.

No big earners in this lot- quite a few journeymen...

I trust Leppitsch and McRae to get the calls right- time to load up for an authentic tilt at Flag 17 in 2025...

Watching Allan, Parker and Macrae operate last night gave me hope for a brighter future...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^Howe needs to stay on the list until we find out what version of Darcy Moore we'll get early on in 2025.
If Howies not performing he can always retire mid-season in order to free up a MSD pick. No one losses out.
This is a bloke that came back from a broken arm to steer us into a Premiership. While not peak Howe, he's played well this season.
He deserves to go out on his terms and if his pre-season is sound, I can't see him not starting in our backline come 2025.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

warburton lad wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:21 am I think right now, the following may be on this ice to remain on the list: Begg, Bytel, Sullivan, Carmichael & Murphy (both retired), Johnson and, perhaps, Markov.
I trust Leppitsch and McRae to get the calls right- time to load up for an authentic tilt at Flag 17 in 2025...

Watching Allan, Parker and Macrae operate last night gave me hope for a brighter future...
Markov got a new contract a month ago, so he's with us for 2025...As Noble was being selected above him, and now even Parker getting a game, I had thought they'd have been moving him on.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179320/ins ... -pie-signs
SLORT
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

LaurieHolden wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:27 am ^Howe needs to stay on the list until we find out what version of Darcy Moore we'll get early on in 2025.
If Howies not performing he can always retire mid-season in order to free up a MSD pick. No one losses out.
This is a bloke that came back from a broken arm to steer us into a Premiership. While not peak Howe, he's played well this season.
He deserves to go out on his terms and if his pre-season is sound, I can't see him not starting in our backline come 2025.
I'm wondering if they're bringin Keane back to be Howe's replacement or maybe Frampton's?
Jezza
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

^ I viewed Keane as a replacement to Murphy.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 16 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by K »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:29 pm ...
Lad the most interesting part of that was how he insinuated that having Leppa and Bolton handling 2 or 3 other jobs outside there coaching roles and how that may have impacted the team performance
It’s obvious there focus has been spread so wide that the role they’ve been paid to do (coach) hasn’t been there main focus
We need to quickly sort out the footy department and get list management squared away with its own dedicated staff and leave the coaches to coach
Look it mightn’t have been a huge impact on our season but even if it was a small impact it still too much of a impact
I hope the review dives deep and the Board actually think about performance over cost savings
The problem is: Leppitsch and Bolton don't wanna stay as just assistant coaches. They want "career advancement". That's why there was tension...

The pres. & CEO were scared to lose them (& Wright)... So they've tried to keep them by beefing up their roles. Media reckon Bolton will leave. And Leppitsch gets list management.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

I’m not please about all the veterans getting another run, you all know that. But there’s been a few posts now suggesting we’re close to the cap. How can that be in a season coming where the salary cap is increasing, let alone veterans getting a last chance year on the tail of their careers. Surely we aren’t playing high market value for players in the 32 - 36 year bracket?

Each of Sidey, Howe and Pendles (+ coaching bonus) announced or triggered 1 year deals, surely there’s a reduced rate for paying veterans, not top dollar.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Exit interviews are tomorrow and tuesday.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Re: The List

Post by piedys »

SLORT wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:20 pm
stui magpie wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:04 pm I reckon we'd be nuts to trade or delist Reef.
Though I also have a sneaking suspicion that he may be involved in the trade that brings Keane back from the Crows if they prove unwilling to take Ash Johnson.
Even In Adelaide's worst form - HOW in the world - would Ash Johnson demand a game ahead of Tex, Fogarty and Tilthorpe?!
No we are stuck with the sook until he hardens the f#ck up.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Big T
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Big T »

Only Collingwood could find a talent in Keane, let him go home due to home sickness / Covid, let him come back to another team and then have to make a deal to get him back. Just ridiculous
Buon Giorno