George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Dangerous move, really. What if they all walk off the job and nobody notices?
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Wokko wrote:Atlanta Police walking off the job en masse .

https://twitter.com/sethweathers/status ... 4594572288

I wouldn't want to be in the shithole of a city tonight.
Who knows? It might be safer:

https://www.latimes.com/science/science ... story.html
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Wokko wrote:Atlanta Police walking off the job en masse .

https://twitter.com/sethweathers/status ... 4594572288

I wouldn't want to be in the shithole of a city tonight.
OMG.

i guess it had to happen. We flew into La, then flew straight to Atlanta and arrived around 4pm. thats a long long haul, so i looked for a hotel near the Airport. Trip adviser was terrifying, the best near the airport was "well we heard some far off gunshots but nothing too close". Bugger that! we hopped in a hire car and drove straight out of there, to Locust Grove, a very small quiet town another 1/2 hour away. next day went straight to Griffin to Noahs Ark Animal Sanctuary, then to Senoia for a quick trip to the Walking Dead Museum (the show is filmed there), and drove straight past Atlanta towards Washington. Lovely people all three very small towns. These are real people, and this is so sad to me. But i dont blame the cops one bit.

from the link "Fulton DA issued arrest warrant for officer who shot a man during a fight where the criminal grabbed a weapon. That’s the way it works

I come down harder on police abuse more than most, but this was not it

This is outrageous"

edit, i nearly deleted my little story about my visit there, then i read the above 2 comments. these are REAL people. and they are now at risk of total Anarchy. and yes i see the walking dead joke coming.

im supposed to care about the average chinese people but Americans can just go to hell!

This is the reality the innocent , ie not the poor criminals who get hurt avoiding police, now face,

"Georgians are more than twice as likely as New Yorkers to be killed in a shooting. The death rate exceeds even that of Illinois, where Chicago’s epidemic of violence has attracted widespread attention."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/where- ... 691065545/

enjoy your damn popcorn boys.
Last edited by think positive on Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

think positive wrote:Another innocent criminal obviously

https://www.9news.com.au/national/fathe ... -of_180620

it works both ways but youd never guess it
I don’t know who you think you are arguing with, here. Your “another innocent criminal” has been charged with a bunch of serious offences and the Police Minister and the Premier have apparently both expressed their support for the officers concerned. Obviously, violent people who do bad things need to be dealt with for those things. The protests in the US are not about enabling people who do the wrong thing to get off without penalty. The protests are about systemic racism that has, over a period of many years/decades/centuries, led to black Americans being killed in circumstances where that should never have occurred. It doesn’t matter whether Floyd or Brooks or any of the others were good or bad people. The thing that matters is that they didn’t deserve to have the police be judge, jury and executioner over minor infractions. The article you have linked is not “another side to the story”. It isn’t even remotely relevant to the story.
think positive

Post by think positive »

you want to get serious and take offence to my post, but this is your post?
Pies4shaw wrote:Dangerous move, really. What if they all walk off the job and nobody notices?
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

You’re boxing at shadows, TP. I didn’t take any offence at your post - I just explained why, in my view, it was misconceived.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

The Mayor has asked for assistance from neighbouring district police and they've said they'll only respond to officer down calls.

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/12 ... 1337947136
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

It's not just the US police, of course. Here's a charming example from the UK: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... mi-bennett
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

If the Police stop responding to some situations, it will be interesting to see how that works from a victim publicity perspective.

As TP says, there's a lot of normal people who just want to go about their lives. In the other corner are junkies, gang members and just plain poor people who are willing to break laws to eat and pay bills.

Now you can put time, effort and money into poverty, drugs and gangs but when someone breaks into your house wanting your wallet, car keys etc and you call 000 or 911 or 112 and operator 42 tells you the cops ain't coming, shit is going to get messy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

That could be right, Stui but those are not the situations that create problems.

There does seem to be a lot of over-policing of people in circumstances where policing is quite unnecessary and those seem to be the ones that are problematic. Typically, these seem to be people who have, in many cases, done the wrong thing but who didn't deserve the severe treatment directed at them. We don't read about people being incensed at the ordinary policing strategies adopted for home invasions (although there was that famous example where the female cop went into an apartment she says she thought was hers and shot and killed a guy eating ice-cream in his own place - IIRC, she was done for murder) or to deal with drug-trafficking or organised gangs. It's the local "law and order" strategies that seem to be creating the mess.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

my sister is a cop, she spent 2 years doing mainly domestics, and some of the stories are terrifying, i have 2 friends who are social workers,the social workers get cops to go with them for most visits, from transferring kids between parents, to welfare checks, because it simply is not safe for someone with no way of protecting themselves to go alone. please tell me where you think a lone social worker is going to do the job of police? and now add guns into the mix.

the cops dont needlessly escalate the situation, the criminal does, or the panicking citizen. Cops dont really want to go out in a blaze of glory you know, they just want to do their jobs and go home. they are not looking for trouble. Yes, they do the wrong thing when a situation gets out of hand sometimes, they are human after all. do i believe that black males are targeted for traffic stops and other stops, yes i do. i also know for a fact so do males in old commodores in Australia. but most of the drongos in the commodores do not have a weapon hidden in the car.

you say you hate cops the show, did you ever watch it?? do you see what the cops may have to face everytime they get a call out?
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

OK, going from what David and P4S posted and factoring in what TP said, the issue lies with community expectations of Police.

Cops don't chose to go to a drunk in a dive through or a maybe forged $20 note, they get sent there cos some one called them.

Once they're on scene we can criticise their behaviour.

And good luck finding a social worker who'd repeatedly walk into violent situations with no Police back up
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Wokko

Post by Wokko »

Black males are 6% of the population and responsible for 50% of murders. Is it any wonder the cops are wary and escalate quickly?
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ absolutely TP. That halfwit was killed because he chose to resist arrest, fight two police and flee.

Here's a thought

Don't drink and drive you damn idiot
Don't resist arrest you damn idiot
Don't fight two police officers you damn idiot
Don't grab a cop's taser you damn idiot
Don't run from the police you damn idiot

This new game of blame only the police is truly $@&^#. Cops have to put up with shitful shit day after day. They have to deal with shit so we don't have to.

So yeah, let's get rid of US cops and let people take the law in to their own hands. Love the Second Amendment.