Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Magpietothemax wrote:
jonmac1954 wrote:
Take_a_Screamer wrote:Top Giant hints at tough return for star Pie (Nick Daicos)

...Toby Greene suggesting the Giants might physically test out the Magpies' massive inclusion in Nick Daicos.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036648/itl ... ick-daicos
Gee the sniper predicts sniping . . . oh my what a shock!
We shouldn't take threats like that lightly. When Hawthorn played us, virtually their entire game plan revolved around injuring Naicos. We will need to prepare for any similar scenario from GWS. Bruzza might be called upon to throw his weight around. We also need to be ready to find a way to exploit such tactics. While two or more opposition players are distracted trying to make life hard for Naicos, we have at least one free man.
I'm not in the least bit complacent about it.

Nor am I complacent about those around who defend snipers - unless the AFL cracks down someone is going to gets very seriously injured and I hope the AFL gets the guts sued out of if.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

FFS, Greene didn't say anything untoward at all.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Pies will concentrate on the actual game, not the mind-games.

Of course they will go hard at Nick Daicos- they would be mad not to.
I can guarantee that they will go just as hard at every other Collingwood player who turns out on Friday night.

This will be a low-scoring affair- a fight to the proverbial death.

Hoping the Pies are ready from the first bounce to give it everything.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I think that's the key to this one WL, a good start.
Jamie needs to be on target, first goal and away we go.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Enough waiting. Enough talk. 1 more sleep to remind the comp why we finished first.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

warburton lad wrote:Pies will concentrate on the actual game, not the mind-games.

Of course they will go hard at Nick Daicos- they would be mad not to.
That is guaranteed to happen. However what I would like to see is about 5-6 magpies awake to this and doing their “side by side” routine of countering the attack, not just leaving it all to Josh.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR

Post by uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR »

I feel like [want to believe] there has been a lot of clear thinking, constructive manipulation and strategising by the coaching brains trust in 2023. Particularly the tail end of the season when it was clear the focus should be the ultimate prize.

We will be ready to play after the week off.
We will have a detailed plan for the game V GWS.
We will SHAKE the MCG.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Skids wrote:I think that's the key to this one WL, a good start.
Jamie needs to be on target, first goal and away we go.
A good start in finals should be the main focus of the coach leading up to the game. Playing catch up against quality opposition is a lot harder than steamrolling mediocrity every week. It was a great sign to see Collingwood come out of the blocks against the Dees after a two week lay off and it showed their preparation in that area was on point. It all starts in the middle and Coxy’s aggression at the ball and opponent will be very important against a sore Briggs.
I think it’s going to be a game of momentum surges. We will have our moments and they will have theirs. Agree with the need for our forwards to nail their first good look on goal. The pressure build up that comes with the fear of missing a second ( or third ) in front of 90,000 is something very few players are immune to.
Get that good start and take our chances in front of goal and we will be hard to beat, especially should we have any sort of lead at three quarter time. Bring it on.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Good call P2016. I think Cox is the key. If he can dominate the hitouts, with good support from Cameron, then this will go a long way to ensuring the midgets midfield brigade don't win the clearance battle. Our defence is much better than theirs, so then it's up to our forwards to make the most of their opportunities. Pies by 28 pts.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
Jezza wrote:I was cool as a cucumber in the lead up to the QF.

This time round, I'm feeling nervous already. PF's have a different meaning to them.
Yep, no second life.
Our team understands the stakes... I have no doubt.
If anything is to be taken from our season, it is that Fly and his team (assistant coaches, Jacqui Louder) understand how to make sure our guys are in the necessary mindspace. In fact, I think to a large extent, our guys are largely self-sufficient in that respect, and only a few final touches from Fly are necessary.
I am always nervous, because nothing in sport is guaranteed.
But I am also filled with rock solid confidence that our team will be primed and ready on Friday night.

Absolutely, I watched our training session on Utube, and we looked as sharp as tacks, fast swift, looked awesome, Fly has us primed. I also think our players, know the utter heartbreak, pain of losing last yrs PF by one lousy point and there is NO way, they will go thru that again, no way Jose. :!: :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

90 nice wrote:Is it true that Collingwood are the only team that has won the flag not playing a prelim final.
No. Preliminary finals were only brought in as part of the finals system in 1931, and from then up until 1993 it was possible for teams to go straight through to the grand final by winning a semi-final. So, needless to say, many premiers in that period won flags without playing preliminary finals (the first of which was Richmond in 1932, and the last of which was West Coast in 1992).
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 146 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
BazBoy
Been liked: 28 times

Post by BazBoy »

If we make the Big Dance it will be with brother,s playing

Let’s go back seventy years-to the 1953 Premiership side

Three sets of brothers

Lou & Ron Richards

Bob & Bill Rose

Bill ,Pat & Mick Twomey

All the Brothers were Valiant
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
ThePieMind

Post by ThePieMind »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
ThePieMind wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
They run in swarms and support from behind the ball in numbers
They play high pressure football when they don’t have it
They have good players on every line
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing
They win in the road and aren’t daunted by the challenge
This game is a bigger danger than a GF against either lions or scum

They will attack our weaknesses
Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken

They don’t run all day as you suggest. They played two 10 minute bursts in the 2nd QTR in both finals, to win the game. St.K broke even in the 2nd half and PA won it.
GWS faded in both games, after their early onslaught.
We don’t need to fear their running capacity.
Champion data says different
There players averaged 17.2% more meters covered than there opposition over the finals this season
What your referring to is making the most of your momentum which is very important as well
According to the AFL App;
Total K’s St.K 284 GWS 283 - PA 280 GWS 283
Total Sprint - St.K 265 GWS 258 - PA 264 GWS 278
In Rd 9 against GWS: Coll 311 sprints GWS 286.

None of those number suggest GWS have an advantage in running.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

jonmac1954 wrote:
Gerry Cooper wrote:I'M with Mr De Silva on this one. We need to be bringing more than a quarter and a half of full pressure and commitment as we have been doing for the last few weeks. What has been concerning in our last two defeats has been the lack of a second effort when our opposition has kicked ahead. Defending a lead is not going to win us a grand final. The killer instinct needs to last until the game is done. That's what won us the 2010 flag and will win us our next one. I believe we can do it, the boys look hungry and switched on for it.

I wouldn't be downgrading West Sydney Giants either. They are a very good and well drilled footy team. Port were never going to win it, nor score those goals in the last quarter. Their wretched forward game plan saw to that. And it should be noted most times in the second half Port managed to threaten and kicked a goal, W.S.G. soon answered. That's what a winning team does and its what we need to be able to do again if we are going to win this preliminary final.
PFFTT!

1:9 in the last means nothing does it?

Nor does having a banged up team does it?
Lol

No doubt the tactically inept Port made WSG look better than they are but given Port's forward line planning of kicking to an arc between 30 metres and 55 metres and stopping to take a low percentage set shot again and again, meant they had very little chance of goal scoring, particularly when you have players taking shots beyond their capabilities. (if you watch the last quarter again you might notice Port had zero forward movement creating options when those shots were taken - thats how their forward line often operates - Another reason was GWS had successfully shut down most of Port's forward line).

If anything, GWS coasting in the last quarter made the inept Port look better than they were as they tired somewhat in the last quarter. However, they had little trouble kicking answering goals when required in the second half.

But go on, keep thinking GWS are going to be easy beats if you want. lol.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�