The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

npalm
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

Post by npalm »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:50 pm Surely we aren’t playing high market value for players in the 32 - 36 year bracket?
Each of Sidey, Howe and Pendles (+ coaching bonus) announced or triggered 1 year deals, surely there’s a reduced rate for paying veterans, not top dollar.
@The Black and White Lion I think you're underestimating the ego of successful AFL footballers. I suspect that most of them still think they're as good as they always were. And they would consider a pay cut to be insulting.
There's also the factor that loyal players like Pendlebury & Sidebottom have taken reduced salaries (compared to what other clubs would have offered them) for many years. They probably feel they are entitled to maintain their current rate of pay.
Side by side.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

I will bloody spew if we do not sign up young Richards to a four yr deal contract, to equal Port. As swoop Luke, said, Jamie Elliott is no spring chicken, and we need Richards to fill his spot, when Jamie finally calls it a day, which could even be at next seasons end, and we need to be ready. Put pen to paper now with him Maggies, dont delay, this kid is worth it.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
The Black and White Lion
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 8:50 pm
npalm wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:13 am @npalm yeah I reckon you're right, I am underestimating their ego but I want results, not a longer time to our next window for success. I reckon Wright would have had a few on the hook when he came in and hopefully that tempered our contracted amounts versus actual payments and we're well under the cap with room to move and recruit, we couldn't have been after Smith and McLuggage and a few others without cash in hand.

Either way hope whoever our List Manager is, that they are ruthless and look after our 3 to 5year outlook, not just 2025
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Aiden Begg delisted, just announced on the club Insta.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Not unexpected, but tough time.
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

Only 21yo..., 22 in Oct. Thought he may have got another year. 197cm, 99kg, thought he may have been refocused as a defender and less as a makeshift ruck. May be a sign that the Condon is landing.
Piesnchess
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Jen2310 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:44 pm Not unexpected, but tough time.

No doubt there will be a few others too. An inevitable sad time, really.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

One question though... shouldn't we be waiting till we've replaced Wright before we start swinging the axe?
The Black and White Lion
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
Seems like Leppa is wielding the axe based on the article on the CFC site

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... ewell-begg
Last edited by The Black and White Lion on Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
BazBoy
Been liked: 26 times

The delisting —when does it happen

Post by BazBoy »

Just curious as to Flys chat with listed players
And players told Thanks but no thanks you are out
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Would be the worst part of the job. Wouldn't envy them this time of year.
piffdog
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

Very unlikely Begg was told today and it’s news to him. I expect these outcomes are flagged.

Best of luck.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 6:06 pm Seems like Leppa is wielding the axe based on the article on the CFC site
I think this is a bit risky. Leppa has stated that he is interested in possibly coaching again one day. So the idea of him making decisions for our list that will make or break our club for the next decade doesn't strike me as a good one.

I also think that nepotism could be an issue, for even if he does stay he may be a bit too close to the coach (best mates) in order to do his job in the cold, professional manner that it needs to be done. Modern football clubs have learnt the lessons of allowing coaches too much decision-making power. I know everyone sees Fly as the messiah at the moment, but there was a time when L.Matthews was given the same sort of gold-carpet, free-reign at Collingwood.

If it's a temporary thing because they have no choice (no candidates for the position) at the moment then yeah, fine. Otherwise I'd prefer that an assistant coach be concentrating on coaching, and a qualified list manager be hired to perform the role in the impartial manner it needs.
piffdog
Been liked: 28 times

Post by piffdog »

^ How does one 'qualify' to be a list manager? Do they run a uni course in that? I would have thought Leppa has all the qualifications he needs - its just a matter of wether he has the drive and capacity to give the position the attention it needs - which speaks to your comment about wether or not he is a coach or a list manager. Probably needs to pick one and focus entirely on that.

I think your point around nepotism is worth discussing. Agree this is a risk (and surely has been an achillies heel at our club under the Mcquire reign). I hope we are better than that and that the hard conversations are had.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

piffdog wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:07 am ^ How does one 'qualify' to be a list manager? Do they run a uni course in that?
Normally something around "Human Resources" with a dash of contractual law thrown in. I just hope that we keep that as part of the General Manager role and not as another paid position or addon to a secondary role. I'd rather have the GM be more than just another luncheon attending figure-head who has enough plausible deniability for when the shit hits the fans. Clearly defined roles and goals FTW.