#2 Jordan De Goey

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

BazBoy
Been liked: 35 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 50 times

Post by warburton lad »

warburton lad wrote:When two St Kilda players were being investigated several years back- I was of the opinion that they were entitled to the presumption of innocence.

With Jordan De Goey, the same applies.

I have no idea whether he is guilty of either or both events suggested on-line today. Like the St Kilda players, he is entitled to the presumption of innocence unless and until a Court finds otherwise.

Even if he got 12 months jail time in the United States, it would not preclude him from making a comeback in the AFL (Andy Krakouer/Marlion Pickett) to name two players who have successfully done so in the recent past.

Whether it would be for Collingwood is a matter for another time and place.
I am glad that the Club has been decisive about this. IfI were Jordan De Goey, I would use the time away from official duties at the Club to continue to train his guts out in the United States in the hope that he is not found guilty- or- at the very least- given probation rather than face a custodial sentence.

Other than television, I have no sense of how the American legal system works. De Goey currently has no convictions against his name so, one would expect that he would front court in the expectation that he may receive a degree of leniency.

No doubt the Mark Robinsons of this world will have their poison pens out tonight and list a litany of 'off-field issues' regarding Collingwood from the past 30 years on the back and front pages of the Herald-Sun in the morning.

Unless the paper runs with the sad death of Bert Newton instead...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
magirl

Post by magirl »

Being careful as alleged rather than proven charges in a court of law. But if guilty, I would rather take the wooden spoon than continue to condone this type of culture at our club. I hope he is not guilty, but the club needs to draw a line in the sand that it will not be drawn into this disrepute by anyone who holds themselves above the repute of tha club and their contribtion to the team.
Side by Side
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Jezza wrote:Club has stood him down indefinitely.

https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status ... 4086282245
His Career is hanging by a Thread
I am Da Man
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by Skids »

It's not hanging, it's over.

Just another idiot that can kick a football.
Will be in the slammer for a while to ponder his future.

Not the first and won't be the last. Pity, wasn't a bad player.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

The complaints ( US female & male) will be part of court hearings and in a club full of other US citizens & out on a dance floor one would expect the incident was seen and possibly statements taken by law enforcement officers
of bystanders

The Australian pair will need some legal reprisentation
Peponi

Post by Peponi »

BazBoy wrote:The complaints ( US female & male) will be part of court hearings and in a club full of other US citizens & out on a dance floor one would expect the incident was seen and possibly statements taken by law enforcement officers
of bystanders

Plus, video footage will be available one would assume.
Formerly LeighBrownBrigade
derkd
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by derkd »

BazBoy wrote:The complaints ( US female & male) will be part of court hearings and in a club full of other US citizens & out on a dance floor one would expect the incident was seen and possibly statements taken by law enforcement officers
of bystanders

I would imagine they would be contacting the Australian consulate. They will either have local legal representatives on the books. Or they will have court appointed representatives. Or the club will find someone.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
derkd

Post by derkd »

Being of means i would imagine the boys will be stumping up the cash.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
BazBoy

Post by BazBoy »

And so they should pay their councillors
princem007

Post by princem007 »

The problem here is that he has had multiple chances and it just makes the club look stupid now. No other option and this sets the standard for Culture at the club going forward and hard to see him in B and W again.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
colin_wood

Post by colin_wood »

I would have thought there would be a clause in AFL player contracts that lets the club terminate the contract if the player is found guilty of a criminal offense ??
derkd

Post by derkd »

princem007 wrote:The problem here is that he has had multiple chances and it just makes the club look stupid now. No other option and this sets the standard for Culture at the club going forward and hard to see him in B and W again.

It is such a bad look for a club that has had enough bad press in the last twelve months to last a decade.

I bet Craig is loving this in his first few months. He would be apoplectic.

I would imagine his messaging to the players would have been...we just finished second last on the ladder. So heads down and get to work this off-season.

I get the feeling Jordy may be made an example of, to set the tone. This sort of garbage ends here.
derkd

Post by derkd »

colin_wood wrote:I would have thought there would be a clause in AFL player contracts that lets the club terminate the contract if the player is found guilty of a criminal offense ??
Needs to be found guilty first.
Haff
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 41 times

Post by Haff »

magirl wrote:Being careful as alleged rather than proven charges in a court of law. But if guilty, I would rather take the wooden spoon than continue to condone this type of culture at our club. I hope he is not guilty, but the club needs to draw a line in the sand that it will not be drawn into this disrepute by anyone who holds themselves above the repute of tha club and their contribtion to the team.
Correct. The best thing to come out of this now is the 2022 number 1 draft pick.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.