George Floyd Police killing and protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

snafusdvr
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

What'sinaname wrote:snafusdvr
Situation normal all farked up sucking donuts virtual reality?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Nah, it’s a glacier in Iceland.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

stui magpie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:snafusdvr
Situation normal all farked up sucking donuts virtual reality?
Spot on! That's what the US Police are dealing with right now.
Morrigu

Post by Morrigu »

Pies4shaw wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/17/rayshard-brooks-charges-atlanta-police-officer-garrett-rolfe

“The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction faces 11 charges, including felony murder, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Prosecutors said Brooks, who was black, posed no threat when he was gunned down and that the white officer kicked him and offered no medical treatment as he lay dying on the ground.

Brooks was holding a stun gun he had snatched from officers but was 18ft, 3in away when he was shot by Officer Garrett Rolfe and was running away at the time, District Attorney Paul Howard said in announcing the charges five days after the killing outside a Wendy’s restaurant rocked the city.

In announcing the charges Brooks [sic] revealed disturbing details about the incident. Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.”
So just out of curiosity the investigation is not complete yet but the DA has laid charges and decided the officer is guilty - no trial for him then just guilty?

Mr. Brooks was calm, cordial and cooperative,” Howard said at a news conference Wednesday during which he went over the video evidence. “His demeanor was almost jovial.”The interaction with two police officers went on for 41 minutes and 17 seconds, during which “Mr. Brooks never presented himself as a threat,” :lol: Seriously - is this bloke actually blind?

And no medical treatment eh - forgot to mention the CPR administered by officers as shown on the body cam footage???

At least Brooks resisting arrest and trying to run makes sense - when you have been let out of jail on probation ( for amongst other things bashing your GF and your kids) because of COVID-19 and then you are found drunk whilst driving (again) you’d probably do whatever needed to avoid going back to jail I suppose!
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Last edited by David on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Surely the likelihood is higher for a black male than any non black male. That's not racial profiling, it's maths.
David

Post by David »

It is. It's also irrelevant, as I pointed out in my post above. You're dealing with maybe at most a 1% chance (black) as opposed to something like a 0.2% chance (white). So you shouldn't be presuming anyone's a potential murderer based on how they look.
Last edited by David on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David

Post by David »

Murder rates are going down every year, so I very much doubt that more recent data would undermine my point in any way.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:It is. It's also irrelevant, as I pointed out in my post above. You're dealing with maybe at most a 1% chance (black) as opposed to something like a 0.2% chance (white). So you shouldn't be presuming anyone's a potential murderer based on how they look.
your saying potential murderer like every criminal is a murderer. try more likely to commit a crime, and you might get a much different result. Im not saying they are criminals because they are black, its a lot more complex than that. its the demographics of wealth distribution, have a look out the figures for poverty. have a look at the gang figures, what percentage of gang members are black?

and by the way 1 percent is 5 times .2 percent, your figures!!!

what i really hate about all this is the forgotten everyday people. what ever colour they are, it shouldnt make a difference, and there are plenty of communities in the States where it doesnt.

i really do believe the presence of guns in the community is making the situation a whole lot worse.

interestingly mass shootings are more commonly carried out by white males.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Morrigu wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/17/rayshard-brooks-charges-atlanta-police-officer-garrett-rolfe

“The Atlanta officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks in the back after the fleeing man pointed a stun gun in his direction faces 11 charges, including felony murder, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Prosecutors said Brooks, who was black, posed no threat when he was gunned down and that the white officer kicked him and offered no medical treatment as he lay dying on the ground.

Brooks was holding a stun gun he had snatched from officers but was 18ft, 3in away when he was shot by Officer Garrett Rolfe and was running away at the time, District Attorney Paul Howard said in announcing the charges five days after the killing outside a Wendy’s restaurant rocked the city.

In announcing the charges Brooks [sic] revealed disturbing details about the incident. Howard revealed that Rolfe knew the taser Brooks took from him was not functional as it had already been fired twice and thus was of no use when he shot Brooks twice in the back as he was running away.

The detail underscores that Rolfe was aware he was in no physical danger when he fatally shot Brooks. Cameras also captured Rolfe kicking Brooks as he was on the ground struggling for his life.”
So just out of curiosity the investigation is not complete yet but the DA has laid charges and decided the officer is guilty - no trial for him then just guilty?

Mr. Brooks was calm, cordial and cooperative,” Howard said at a news conference Wednesday during which he went over the video evidence. “His demeanor was almost jovial.”The interaction with two police officers went on for 41 minutes and 17 seconds, during which “Mr. Brooks never presented himself as a threat,” :lol: Seriously - is this bloke actually blind?

And no medical treatment eh - forgot to mention the CPR administered by officers as shown on the body cam footage???

At least Brooks resisting arrest and trying to run makes sense - when you have been let out of jail on probation ( for amongst other things bashing your GF and your kids) because of COVID-19 and then you are found drunk whilst driving (again) you’d probably do whatever needed to avoid going back to jail I suppose!
spot on, great post
David

Post by David »

think positive wrote:
David wrote:It is. It's also irrelevant, as I pointed out in my post above. You're dealing with maybe at most a 1% chance (black) as opposed to something like a 0.2% chance (white). So you shouldn't be presuming anyone's a potential murderer based on how they look.
your saying potential murderer like every criminal is a murderer. try more likely to commit a crime, and you might get a much different result.
Wokko was the one specifically talking about homicide, as a way of justifying police """wariness""". Obviously if we talk about all violent crime or all crime as a whole, we'll get different results.
Last edited by David on Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Thankfully you don't work in virology David. Just because a percentage is small, doesn't make it irrelevant.
David

Post by David »

Murder is not a virus lol. That's a ridiculous analogy.

In case anyone's struggling to follow, we're talking about whether it's reasonable to act differently around a black suspect differently than a white suspect because of differences in small percentages of potential lethality. I actually hope that most of us here are already firmly on board with the belief that police should not be doing that.